Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling with CPAP
RE: Traveling with CPAP
Hi

I just picked up a letter from my sleep medicine dr for the CPAP machine. I have put it in my bag. I will attach the bag to my rollaway carryon bag. I can't find a medical tag anywhere. I would have to order it online and I don't have time for it to come in. I leave in 5 days. I will put an ID tag on it and put medical equipment. Hopefully, that will be good enough.

I didn't think of an extension cord. I will pick one up before I leave.

thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Airlines don't make the rules related to medical devices... The FAA does. If you are staying within the US you should have no problems. FAA rules will apply to any flight that originates or terminates in the US.

My travel bag includes a extension cord with multiple connectors on the end. Most common issue is that there is an available plug, but it isn't where you need it.

For short trips I would use my backup CPAP which is already packed, has everything (including the power brick), extension cord, hose, mask etc... easier not to forget something.

Water should be no issue, you can get that at the hotel. Wouldn't bother trying to bring your own. Just check the Concierge desk at the hotel. Bottled water will be fine for the trip.

FAA documents
Philips Respironics: http://media.50below.com//organizations/...evices.pdf
Resmed: http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/s...r_eng1.pdf

I just carry a copy of my RX with me. Helps if I need something related to that where I am going.

In both cases, the bottom of the device should already have marking for approval anyways.

TSA makes the rules on what they inspect and how.
http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/...-and-apaps

Like any situation where you deal with stuff that is a hassle, a smile and compliance is the easy way to get through it. If you are grumpy, they will be too.
[size=x-small]Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) BiLevel Auto
Post Reply Post Reply
A letter is not necessary. Do not show it if you have it. You'll only confuse them and slow the line down.

Have only medical equipment in the CPAP bag. An extension cord would be considered medical equipment in this case. A change of clothes would not be.

It is not as difficult as you think it is. Just take out the blower unit. Put it in bin. But the bag w/ humidifier and rest of stuff in another bin. Go through detector. Gather stuff. Go on your way. Done.

Some people want to put their blower unit in a plastic bag the TSA should have available and have the agent change gloves prior to handling the unit.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._with_CPAP

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-26-2015, 10:38 PM)thefer Wrote: Hi

I just picked up a letter from my sleep medicine dr for the CPAP machine. I have put it in my bag. I will attach the bag to my rollaway carryon bag. I can't find a medical tag anywhere. I would have to order it online and I don't have time for it to come in. I leave in 5 days. I will put an ID tag on it and put medical equipment. Hopefully, that will be good enough.

I didn't think of an extension cord. I will pick one up before I leave.

thanks

I did my own using my word processor....I just used the on-line versions as a guide (I deal with CASA, not TSA...had to modify it anyway). Printed off in red (so it stood out), went down to the business supply store and got it laminated...done like dinner Wink

Documentation is always good to have....rarely needed, but good to have just in case.

Have fun on your trip.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I pack mine in the bag and check the bag, been doing that for about 700 flights, no issues at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, just carry it on - that's all you need to know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2015, 07:09 PM)cant_sleep_in_nj Wrote: I pack mine in the bag and check the bag, been doing that for about 700 flights, no issues at all.

Use to do that until the day when I got bumped off a flight. My CPAP made it home on that flight and I was in a hotel without it. Carried it on ever since.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2015, 10:12 AM)nicholb Wrote:
(05-27-2015, 07:09 PM)cant_sleep_in_nj Wrote: I pack mine in the bag and check the bag, been doing that for about 700 flights, no issues at all.

Use to do that until the day when I got bumped off a flight. My CPAP made it home on that flight and I was in a hotel without it. Carried it on ever since.

It is absolutely bumfuddling to me how anyone has 700 flights with checked bags and has never been separated from baggage. Traveling 30% of the time in prior lives, most of my travel was out early week, return late week. It seemed the airlines would lose a bag of mine on average of every 1-2 years. 15 weeks on the road each year or 30 segments annually. so I was having one lost every 45 segments flown, so about 2% of the time. That may hae been becuase I was originateg/terminating at one of the world's busiest airports and there is a lot of pressure to get bags to connecting flights - flight terminating here are a VERY low priority for Scarican Airlines (name changed to protect the ignorant). Not that it went missing forever, it usually reached me the next day. I did have a horror story on a trip to the jungles of South America. Needless to say, BASED ON MY EXPERIENCE, do not **EVER, EVER,EVER** check something you can't be without, like the CPAP.

Now, having said that, you may want to start traveling with a firearm if you want to check a bag. IMHO, Bags with checked firearms are handled a little more carefully than those that are just traveling steerage class.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
cant be much busier than newark airport in NJ is. thats my home airport. Also never having to switch planes might help my cause. im always direct flights
Post Reply Post Reply
No way in heck would I put my CPAP in my luggage. I'm not talking about it getting lost, I'm talking about it getting busted. Or, worse, it showing up on the xray and they pulling it to examine then not putting the suitcase back together right and then it getting busted. Airplane cargo holds are being crammed to the gills. And unless you have a hard sided suitcase, that CPAP is getting pushed on, shoved on, etc.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 556 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,628 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 640 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  [Equipment] Traveling to low or high altitudes? Laura1520 5 680 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  traveling, don't want to use humidifier Palmtrees 8 1,298 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: booksfan
Question Traveling. Get off CPAP? intershift 8 1,391 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  help selecting a traveling APAP machine harmonicamoon 5 1,325 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Last Post: harmonicamoon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.