Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling with CPAP
RE: Traveling with CPAP
(06-01-2015, 10:20 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: If I were you , I would NOT use humidification onboard the aircraft. It may draw more power than the in seat plugs are designed to handle ( some are limited to around 50-60 watts) and more importantly, in flying an aircraft, sometimes weird G-forces can be encountered that might slosh water back into the blower unit and that is a bad thing. Think turbulence.

OMMOHY

Nah. Any laptop I've owned for many years has the same 90 watt switching power supply a CPAP machine has. If the plane has AC power outlets, it won't be a problem. I've used my CPAP machine aboard an airplane. If there is enough turbulence that I'd worry about the water in the humidifier sloshing around, I'd just power it down and remove the tank. It's a jet. It's not like bouncing around in a Skyhawk or a Cherokee.

I don't understand all the fretting about flying with a CPAP machine. Mine fits just fine in my roll-aboard. The TSA security people see them constantly on the X-Ray machine conveyer belt. If I have a lousy boarding number, I just tell the gate agent I have medical equipment in my roll-aboard I'm not willing to gate check and ask to board early. Nobody is going to refuse that request.

It requires a bit more planning on a small turboprop. I toss a spare canvas bag in my roll aboard, put the CPAP machine & accessories in that bag at the gate, gate-check my roll-aboard, and carry my CPAP machine and laptop aboard.

I fly enough on business that I never ever check bags unless it's a gate check on a turboprop where they hand the bag to me on the ramp at my destination.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. I just put it into a bin, the bag in another, send it through the xray. No big deal. Like Geoff said, they see them all the time. I have more trouble with my 17" laptop than I do my CPAP. Every once in a while I get an agent who won't believe it is a real laptop because it is so big. They always turn it on or send it through twice. Or both.

Anyway, it is easy and simple. Take your time, be polite, watch the process as you approach, nothing to it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-29-2015, 03:14 PM)DariaVader Wrote:
(05-29-2015, 02:27 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: No way in heck would I put my CPAP in my luggage. I'm not talking about it getting lost, I'm talking about it getting busted. Or, worse, it showing up on the xray and they pulling it to examine then not putting the suitcase back together right and then it getting busted. Airplane cargo holds are being crammed to the gills. And unless you have a hard sided suitcase, that CPAP is getting pushed on, shoved on, etc.

not only that, but last time I flew, my bags showed up drenched everything inside was sopping wet. Sucked for my clothes... but at least I had chosen to stay at a hotel with laundry facilities, and had packed durable washable items. Really happy my CPAP was not exposed to that!

How about the number of TSA agents who have been caught stealing from checked luggage? Any lock you have on your checked luggage must be such that the TSA can open it. A bunch of thieves have your luggage key! Not that they would want to steal your CPAP but incidental loss or damage is possible.

Drifting off topic, a news story today tells of an internal test by the agency itself, on how well the TSA catches explosives and weapons. Test subjects posing as passengers tried to sneak these items past TSA agents at airports. The TSA agents failed to spot them, 95% of the time.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's why I don't even bother with locks. If I have something I don't want stolen or messed with, it goes with me. Or I ship it ahead of time.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have never carried documentation with my machine on any flight (including an international flight recently). TSA knows what a CPAP machine is, and it varies as to whether you have to remove the machine from the bag or not. Sometimes they want me to, other times not. Though, come to think of it, since I got signed up for PreCheck, I never have to remove it. Australia's equivalent of TSA didn't bat an eyelash or require me to remove it either.

And no flight attendants have hassled me about it, either. I think they all know what a CPAP machine is also. And I think they'll take your word for it that it's necessary medical equipment without documentation.

I NEVER check the machine. And I always carry my prescription meds with me as well. I have, unfortunately, had luggage lost (temporarily, thank goodness). I never check valuables of any kind. The CPAP is an expensive machine and baggage handlers are gorillas. Especially when traveling internationally, never check anything that you cannot live without for a night or two. That's just common sense to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2015, 04:55 PM)GeoffD Wrote:
(06-01-2015, 10:20 AM)OMyMyOHellYes Wrote: If I were you , I would NOT use humidification onboard the aircraft. It may draw more power than the in seat plugs are designed to handle ( some are limited to around 50-60 watts) and more importantly, in flying an aircraft, sometimes weird G-forces can be encountered that might slosh water back into the blower unit and that is a bad thing. Think turbulence.

OMMOHY

Nah. Any laptop I've owned for many years has the same 90 watt switching power supply a CPAP machine has. If the plane has AC power outlets, it won't be a problem. I've used my CPAP machine aboard an airplane. If there is enough turbulence that I'd worry about the water in the humidifier sloshing around, I'd just power it down and remove the tank. It's a jet. It's not like bouncing around in a Skyhawk or a Cherokee.

Do not, I repeat, Do Not put water in your cpap humidifier if you are using it during flight! That is akin to playing Russian Roulette with your expensive equipment!

I am a retired airline pilot, and I have had way too many encounters with CAT (Clear Air Turbulence) to ignore the potential risk to your machine if you have water in it.........it's just a matter of time before you would regret that practice.

Just ask my copilot that was pinned to the ceiling of the cockpit with no warning on a beautiful clear night at 41,000' because he was dumb enough not to be belted in his seat. All I could do was look straight up at him and laugh.
Post Reply Post Reply
From my 560P manual:

Traveling with the System
When traveling, the carrying case is for carry-on luggage only. The carrying case will not protect the system if it is put through checked baggage.
For your convenience at security stations, there is a note on the bottom of the device stating that it is medical equipment and is suitable for airline use. It may be helpful to bring this manual along with you to help security personnel understand the REMstar Auto A-Flex device.
If you are traveling to a country with a line voltage different than the one you are currently using, a different power cord or an international plug adaptor may be required to make your power cord compatible with the power outlets of the country to which you are traveling. Contact your home care provider for additional information.

Airline Travel
The REMstar Auto A-Flex device is suitable for use on airlines when the device is operating from an AC or DC power source.
Note: It is not suitable for airline use with any of the modems or humidifiers installed in the unit.
Post Reply Post Reply
From Airsense clinical manual:

[Image: image.jpg1_7.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-01-2015, 04:55 PM)GeoffD Wrote:

OMMOHY

I actually kind of enjoy moderate turbulence. And yes, in a light AC you get it a lot, especially in summer. But I have also been on a B747-400, mid Pacific, and hit turbulence so bad that had I not been belted, I would have been thrown around the cabin. Nobody seriously hurt - but folks up and about the cabin did fall. No warning. No WX to report in the area.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Flying military (E-# AWACS nav) I saw turbulence so bad I had black and blues from my shoulder harness from being thrown around. We got caught in some light turbulence that rapidly went to severe and we were trying to get out of it. I pitied the backend crew and how they were getting bounced around.

I always fly with my seatbelt on.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 554 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,627 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 640 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  [Equipment] Traveling to low or high altitudes? Laura1520 5 680 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  traveling, don't want to use humidifier Palmtrees 8 1,298 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: booksfan
Question Traveling. Get off CPAP? intershift 8 1,389 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  help selecting a traveling APAP machine harmonicamoon 5 1,325 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Last Post: harmonicamoon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.