Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling with FFM
RE: Traveling with FFM
I have never traveled by air with my machine. BUT, we were out of state for approximately 2 months which meant having to take enough clothes, etc. for us and all that is needed for our pets. Space was limited and I needed to make sure I had extra supplies just in case something happened to the ones I had packed in the case that the machine comes in.

That being said, I put the machine and humidifier in the designated compartment. I put the power brick in the big, open space, then put the humidifier tubing in there. I then put the hose to the mask in that same compartment (for the nasal mask). I then took the headgear off of both the ffm and the nasal mask, put them in a separate bag for each one and labeled them since I knew I would be tired after a 2 day drive and then put them in the same compartment. Then I put the cushion for each mask in a bag of their own and put it in the same compartment. Yea, it was a bit bulky.

In the outer compartment, I had my sleep study results, prescription, all the paperwork from any time I was at the sleep doc and the paperwork that was given to me with my machine (user guide, etc.). I put the spare parts elsewhere. It was a lot of work to figure it out but it got done.

The difference is, we knew we were going to be gone and had planning time where you probably didn't have that luxury.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've flown/traveled before with the CPAP a lot but not with a FFM. I just was not used to figuring out where the heckaroni to safely put that big huge thing!

Now that I have some ideas, I'll sit down with everything and see what I can come up with. If only I didn't need the humidifier. Not taking that would open up a lot of room.

-----

Oh, and a while back I did a thread of what I keep in my CPAP bag. I guess I need to update that now!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2015, 02:46 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I did consider it the safest way to get it there in one piece!

But it was Christmas Eve, not All Hallows Eve, so I used a box instead.

In place of the mask??? Smile Laugh-a-lot

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I used the bag my Resmed came in. Shoved the mask in the front pouch and put it in the overhead compartment.
Post Reply Post Reply
eviltim,

Which VPAP are you using? It appears to be the VPAP S but could be the VPAP Auto in S mode.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
PaulaO2, I think that it depends on your CPAP case and mask combo. The last time I did a trip, my S9 Autoset's bag was able to take the unit, my travel water bottles (750 ml, kept in the outside pocket for easy access at security), power cord, slimline and climateline tubing and the Quattro Air I was using at the time. Sure, there was some careful arranging going on to fit it all, but it fit.

My FitLife, OTOH, is a bit more problematic and I did basically what you did...Throw the "back-up" in the case (just in case) and protect the "main" mask in the checked bag as best as possible.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to travel again but this time I drove instead of flew. I put the FFM (simplus) in the mesh covered section with the charger, the Nuance, and the extension cord. The Climateline hose went in the outside front pocket. TA DA! Easy fit.

It fits nicely in there. I had to really wrap the power cord tight though to have room, and to control the space. It, the Nuance, and the extension cord all fit on one side and the FFM fit on the other.

Thanks for the advice, friends! I have no doubt it would work just fine for a plane trip. The hose would need to be wound into a circle vs the bundled rope I usually do. It wouldn't stick out then. And I may have a friend add a stronger bit of hook-and-loop to that pocket flap as it comes open far too easily.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I travel weekly with a cpap and FFM. both go in the travel bag and get checked. The FFM goes at the bottom, sandwiched between two shirts. never a problem.

(the hose goes in a shoe/sneaker i pack in the top part)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 557 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,629 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish
  Traveling - use AIRSENSE with RESMED N30 nasal mask - forgot vented elbow!! new2paphopeful 0 640 06-25-2022, 12:29 AM
Last Post: new2paphopeful
  [Equipment] Traveling to low or high altitudes? Laura1520 5 680 08-07-2021, 02:22 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  traveling, don't want to use humidifier Palmtrees 8 1,298 02-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Last Post: booksfan
Question Traveling. Get off CPAP? intershift 8 1,391 02-09-2020, 05:47 PM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  help selecting a traveling APAP machine harmonicamoon 5 1,325 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Last Post: harmonicamoon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.