Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Traveling with O2 concentrator
Traveling with O2 concentrator
The current thread dealing with flying with a CPAP machine made it seem like a good time to raise the question of traveling when supplemental O2 is needed. My needs include 2 LPM of supplemental O2 fed into my hose or mask. The last time we traveled by air was eleven years ago and my DME at that time provided an O2 concentrator that was small enough to fit into my carry on overhead shelf luggage. No major problems. Since then our traveling has been in a van or SUV and I just lug along the standard size home use O2 concentrator which is bulky and heavy. Current DME does not provide a smaller unit nor do any the others that I am aware of. Short term rentals at the destination are very expensive. The mini size O2 machines do not provide the needed steady volume needed.

I would appreciate hearing how others have handled this situation. I do not normally take the O2 concentrator into a hotel for a one night stopover but otherwise whenever we stop, hotel or family, the machine goes in.

Thanks, 

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Traveling with O2 concentrator
At one time I looked into it. Other than renting one at your destination or driving I never did find an answer.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
It depends on the airline as to whether they allow it to be used on the plane. Some may restrict it as a carryon or checked baggage.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/04/08/tsa-...ble-oxygen

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures (the respiratory equipment isn't loading for me at the moment but you can select it from the drop down box).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2018, 12:52 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: At one time I looked into it. Other than renting one at your destination or driving I never did find an answer.
Thanks WW, unfortunately that seems to be the way it is.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-24-2018, 02:32 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: It depends on the airline as to whether they allow it to be used on the plane. Some may restrict it as a carryon or checked baggage.

https://www.tsa.gov/blog/2014/04/08/tsa-...ble-oxygen

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures (the respiratory equipment isn't loading for me at the moment but you can select it from the drop down box).

Thanks Paula,

Since we are pretty much driving now days it isn't much more of an issue than lugging the monster around. If we were to start thinking about some flying hopefully there will be enough lead time to research it more thoroughly. The need isn't likely to go away.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
Renting O2 while away from home is easy or difficult depending on the state you are going to. Unfortunately, costly. For a single night, it's $100. Rental by 2 weeks or a month is cheaper per day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Is it OK to turn on an oxygen concentrator before my APAP machine? EMihalis 10 683 12-15-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Any Resmed AirSense 10 users near Bend OR? I’m traveling and need help. Mbranning 4 537 10-24-2023, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Mbranning
  Should I be considering an oxygen concentrator? gainerfull 24 2,199 08-07-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  TriCare Prime and Oxygen Concentrator greensled 0 408 07-12-2023, 11:16 AM
Last Post: greensled
  Oxygen concentrator vpsdub 1 448 06-26-2023, 12:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oxygen concentrator as non-medically indicated optimization? cyrial 3 456 06-05-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: cyrial
  CPAP Substitute While Camping or Traveling Liegeinski 10 2,599 01-23-2023, 01:09 AM
Last Post: RainbowFish

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.