Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travelling suggestions
Travelling suggestions
Hi all,

I travel a fair amount with work and I also do some long haul flights where I would like to use the machine. In the past I have stopped myself from falling to sleep as my snoring is so bad but I am now hoping I can get some rest being hooked up, hopefully leading to a more restful start to the trip.

Is there anyone else that travels and what machines do you recommend ? I don't find the size of my machine when packed up a problem but having it on a plane is another issue as it would for sure be too big to lay down next to. Is plugging it in ever an issue in the plane and how have you slept with it during a flight?

I must say I haven't had an issue in security with any airport yet, no one has even asked for the bag to be unzipped and all have been very knowledgeable of the machines and just say " no problem stick on the belt for scanning".

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travelling suggestions
I am also tacking a long flight to OZ in 2 weeks for a 3 month motorcycle tour. And I have read that the Airlines don't like you to plug into the 110V seat circuit. At least that's how I read it for Air Canada. So battery is the only option.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2017, 10:09 AM)bighopper Wrote: I am also tacking a long flight to OZ in 2 weeks for a 3 month motorcycle tour. And I have read that the Airlines don't like you to plug into the 110V seat circuit. At least that's how I read it for Air Canada. So battery is the only option.

That's interesting has anyone else found this as I would think the battery adds a fair bit of bulk and weight?
Post Reply Post Reply
Ahh, but the battery is your problem... If the airplane's AC system fails while you are sleeping, it becomes their problem...

That's my take on it, anyway.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-15-2017, 06:50 AM)pholynyk Wrote: Ahh, but the battery is your problem... If the airplane's AC system fails while you are sleeping, it becomes their problem...

That's my take on it, anyway.

lol probably !

I wonder on long haul flights do folks use their machines?
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the airlines operation manual that I work for regarding this, I will give the following advice. If possible notify the airline in advance if you wish to use one on the plane. You can do this via there special handling section. You can request to be seated next to a power outlet suitable for medical use, they can usually only do this in advance and not at the airport. If using a battery you may also need a dangerous goods approval for lithium batteries (if over 101Wh). Most of the machines I've seen listed are ok and don't require approval, but notifying in advance may save dramas at the airport.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-16-2017, 03:27 AM)Samelia Wrote: Looking at the airlines operation manual that I work for regarding this, I will give the following advice.  If possible notify the airline in advance if you wish to use one on the plane. You can do this via there special handling section.  You can request to be seated next to a power outlet suitable for medical use, they can usually only do this in advance and not at the airport.  If using a battery you may also need a dangerous goods approval for lithium batteries (if over 101Wh). Most of the machines I've seen listed are ok and don't require approval, but notifying in advance may save dramas at the airport.

This here is great advice.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-14-2017, 08:15 AM)Swisssleeper Wrote: Hi all,

I travel a fair amount with work and I also do some long haul flights where I would like to use the machine. In the past I have stopped myself from falling to sleep as my snoring is so bad but I am now hoping I can get some rest being hooked up, hopefully leading to a more restful start to the trip.

Is there anyone else that travels and what machines do you recommend ? 

You can find my very long, very favorable review of the new Respironics Go on the equipment forum. Excellent solution to your perceived issue. I, too, frequent long air flights.
Post Reply Post Reply
I flew in Business from Miami to Brazil recently and just plugged in my Airsense 10 without a problem. I did get the side panel accessory so that I didn't have to have the humidifier attached. The humidifier isn't used on the plane and it makes the machine larger and takes almost up too much space on the small area where I could plug it in. 
I did not ask permission and there wasn't any issue. 
In Brazil, security screening did ask me to unzip the bag, but no big deal.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all your responses, I will have at look at the reviews and chat with the airlines too.

The Go system looks very favorable Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Giving up Evora, need suggestions PaulaO2 8 140 Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Looking for suggestions chzuck 31 549 04-13-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: chzuck
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 172 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 3,098 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 316 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 342 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 311 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.