Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travelling suggestions
RE: Travelling suggestions
I used a dreamstation on Hainan airlines earlier this year. (Business class)
Check the seat info for the plane/airline you'll be on. The 787 had a US type power plug in the seat.
It made a big difference sleeping about 6-7 hours on a 15 hour flight, ORD to PEK.
Smile
I'm making the same flight next month. I used to torture myself and stay awake during the flights, also. No more.
I had no problems with cabin crew. You may want to locate the outlet as soon as you get to your seat.
Post Reply Post Reply
Great review on the Go thanks Dave, I will look further into this. I have had my machine about 5 weeks now and have flown 13 times so a lighter machine with battery pack would be fantastic.

Thanks for the info PC1955, I will contact the airlines as have a couple of 14 hour flights looming.
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought I'd update my experience using cpap on a long flight. I used the same airline/plane type for another trip to Asia.
I'm not sure if the plane (Dreamliner) was 'older', but the power outlets in the seat were 'worn'. My plug wouldn't stay in. Shift in seat a bit while sleeping, and it disconnected. I tried spreading the prongs a bit, multiple times. This happened on two separate planes. Very annoying.
The outlet in the plane seat was a multi-connector type. I had NO problems on a flight earlier this year, but this time, both long hauls on the same trip had 'sloppy' outlets.
Sad

On the return flight I think the passenger in the adjacent seat complained to the flight attendant about me constantly fussing with the outlet.
The outlet was so hard to find and reach in the plane seat, (in a cubby under the console, next to my butt) I had to bring the seat erect, stand up, fumble for my penlight in the darkened plane, then hunt for the outlet, and fumble bit.
(repeatedly)

I was looking forward to the decent amount of sleep I got on the 12-13 hour flights before, but this time only managed 3-4 hours on the long legs at the most.

On the return, long flight, the alerted attendant tried to help me, but didn't really undertsand what the cpap machine was for.

'Are you scared of airplane?" (NO)

'Oxygen?' (NO)

I tried to explain the outlet, (which had worked well on other planes) was 'loose', or worn.

Eventually he lent me a electrical plug converter that worked a little better, but still didn't stay in long.
He then told me something I interpreted as 'we will check on you every ten minutes to see if you are still breathing'.
I tried to explain that wasn't necessary. Smile

The next time I'll take a couple of different adapters with me, in case I run into the same situation.

Security has never paid much attention to my cpap machine, which somewhat surprises me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PC1955,

Thanks for your experience I am sure it will help others.

I had quite a different experience, as PC says I have never had a problem with security and travel every two weeks so that's pretty tried ad tested.

I was offered a transcendence machine on trial but couldn't get on with the noise it made so opted to travel with my Airsense10, I took the humidifier with me but used it without on the plane. I plugged in no problem although a bit fiddly getting the bed down, I decided that having the machine on the floor was the best option. On the way out I was in a 777 which was older and the air quality seemed poor and I must admit I really struggled to sleep. On the way back on an A380 it was much better and slept solid for nearly seven hours which is pretty good going I think.

Both the Go and mini aren't available here yet but the clinic have said I can try them both before purchasing, although I must admit that despite the smaller size traveling with the airsense 10 wasn't bad at all, and I had a different hotel every night but it really wasn't a problem.

Going forward if the travel machines are quiet and perform well I will get one but if they are noisy like the transcendence I am not sold on the idea.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have no answers for you, but I'm just impressed that you can sleep upright in an airline seat. I can't even do that in my recliner at home. Smile Good luck on finding an answer - my days of long air trips are over due to Restless Leg Syndrome.
Post Reply Post Reply
A true RLS would be funny to see on a plane, some guy consonantly  Dancing

@pc1955, I'm still envious that you had a bed to sleep on and could get some good hours of sleep. Down the back where I perch on a seat 3 sizes too small for me (I've see kids table and chairs, where the chair is bigger) even the thought of getting some sleep is silly
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Just to add another anecdote - I recently flew to Europe on Qatar Airways. The overnight leg (Perth to Doha) was in a 777 business class. I just put my S9 (sans humidifier) on the drinks tray built in to the arm rest and slept like a baby.

Security at Doha swabbed the machine for explosives, but nobody else took the slightest bit of notice. I have made a little tag which gives my name and contact details, and in bold red says "Medical device. To remain with passenger". Download the template here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/attachm...p?aid=3931
Post Reply Post Reply
My anecdote:
My S8 auto was on the approved list for Japan Airways on a 17h flight on 787. I inquired prior to trip and there were no issues however device did not operate when plugged in. Worked ok at destination then didn't work again on return flight. Same plane I think but different airline.
I now have S10 Auto and Resbett double battery pack for camping so would have another solution in the future. (may need approval for the double pack on airline, though)
Bob
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the USB outlets on the planes have a very small output, could hardly charge my phone or tablet.
I wonder if the AC outlets have a limited supply of power, also?
Post Reply Post Reply
I must say I haven't had an issue in security with any airport yet, no one has even asked for the bag to be unzipped and all have been very knowledgeable of the machines and just say " no problem stick on the belt for scanning".

Interestingly enough, I just flew from Phoenix to Calgary yesterday and security made me take both pieces of my machine out and set them in the tray for scanning. I've never been asked to do that before!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,928 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 252 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 305 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 288 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  Chin Strap Suggestions Jose Castro 9 819 12-17-2023, 08:09 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Flow Rate Interpretation and PAP Mode / Pressure Settings Suggestions ABC1234 3 605 10-16-2023, 07:34 PM
Last Post: ABC1234

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.