Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Travveling to India, May 20th
Travveling to India, May 20th
India has all things medical and I found a rental supply in Pune India (elevation about 3,000 feet) where I will be for two weeks. However, I have a fear of disease, dirt, and infection. So I am a little afraid to rent a C-Pap there, but it seems easier than hauling mine. India has electricity of 110 so mine might not even work. So I wonder who has used a portable battery operated C-pap with any success? I have a my dr.'s prescription for a portable C-Pap. Last I checked the humidity there was 91%! I will be staying in a hotel; I hope the hotel has air conditioning. Just because you have sleep apnea does not mean you have to stay home forever, does it. I am age 75. Cheers! Sandra M.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Travveling to India, May 20th
Hi Sandra M,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you have a nice trip to India.
Hang in there for answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Sandra, which ResMed machine do you have? As far as I know, it should run on either 110 volt or 220 volt. You do you need to make sure you have the right converter, though, so you can plug it in. I always take my CPAP machine with me when I travel. I wouldn't go anywhere without it, and I always carry it on the plane, never check it as baggage. Being a piece of medical equipment, it doesn't count towards your carry-on allowance.

A nice light weight lithium ion battery pack might be a good idea, too, if there are any doubts about the reliability of the electric grid there. I would definitely check to see if they have air conditioning before I stayed there. No A/C at 91% humidity would be a deal-breaker for me!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Resmed power bricks are universal voltage and line frequency.
All you need is the proper plug adapter.

I don't know what power they use in India; but as a former British colony, I would guess they are on 230 Volt 50 Hertz power.
In fact they do. And, they use a BS-546D outlet with 3 round pins
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2016, 08:43 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Sandra, which ResMed machine do you have? As far as I know, it should run on either 110 volt or 220 volt. You do you need to make sure you have the right converter, though, so you can plug it in. I always take my CPAP machine with me when I travel. I wouldn't go anywhere without it, and I always carry it on the plane, never check it as baggage. Being a piece of medical equipment, it doesn't count towards your carry-on allowance.

A nice light weight lithium ion battery pack might be a good idea, too, if there are any doubts about the reliability of the electric grid there. I would definitely check to see if they have air conditioning before I stayed there. No A/C at 91% humidity would be a deal-breaker for me!

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Sleep Apnea board members. Thank you for your replies. I checked my machine, and it's a Phillips Respironics Dream Machine. Oops. It is larger and heavier than my last machine (a Res Med) and it has a built in humidifier, and I don't want to haul it to India. But, if you say I must. I first must fly to Frankfurt and then on to Mumbai and I have a carry-on as well as checked luggage. It seems like overkill.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sandra, the humidifier section can be separated and that can half the size. Your DME can instruct you on how to do this, or check your user manual. I'm not sure if Dreamstation machines need to have a plate attached when the humidifier is separated, and you would need to use a standard non-heated hose. Does your machine say that it is Auto, Pro or CPAP?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have that machine, the power is multi-voltage. I'd take your machine, just make sure you get an adaptor for the socket before you go. I am planning on an extended trip to Spain this fall and will be taking mine. All the comforts of home!
Post Reply Post Reply
I would encourage you to carry your own machine. A lot of camera backpacks work well for this. A cheap bag is made by Amazon basics. And a bag with just Cpap gear is a free carry on (definitely on Lufthansa).

I would use Aquafina bottled water in the humidifier. It is the closest to distilled water (< 4ppm TDS). It's easily available in most grocery stores in India.

Pune/Mumbai have decent power grids so I wouldn't worry about battery backups. Also, most hotels have diesel generators for power backups and they switch on within seconds. You may want to call and confirm this.

India has 220 volt power. The power brick of most Cpap machines are SMPS type. They work in pretty much all voltages from 90 to 280 volts.
Post Reply Post Reply
A little off topic, but I would also consider extra cushions or pillows and extra headgear for your primary mask as well as an extra hose, filters and wipes. Even though India has all things medical, it will be much easier to carry a few essential backup parts than to try to find and travel to a DME. I know first hand how important the spare pillow is.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  cleaning my CPAP machine in India msherman1000 13 897 12-04-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: msherman1000
  Recommendations for a sleep medicine center or clinic in Bangalore, India? dangerous7 3 838 05-26-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: dangerous7

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.