Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Trazodone for insomnia
RE: Trazodone for insomnia
Not too long ago I was trying to explain on the other forum that adaptation to a medication is not the same thing as addiction to a medication but it mostly fell on deaf ears. This distinction is not, as some believe, 'a matter of semantics'. There is a lot of misinformation about medication and addiction on the internet and on some of the psych med forums. As justMongo pointed out one does adapt to medications like trazodone so that tapering off should be done gently and gradually to avoid a harsh reaction to discontinuation -- but in terms of pharmacological action and the dangers of rapid withdrawal, addiction is its own animal.

Trazodone can be used for sleep on a PRN basis. If it was being used to treat depression it would need to be taken regularly but trazodone is not commonly prescribed for depression because of the sedating side effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
Wink 
(10-05-2015, 01:36 PM)49er Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 08:44 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I take Trazodone, but only as needed. If you take it as a matter of routine I've heard it will be necessary to increase the dose as it stops working after awhile. As do all sleeping meds.

I find this very interesting since I thought any sleep medicine that is an antidepressant like Trazadone can't be taken on a PRN basis. Glad this has worked for you.

49er

Yes, it is an antiD. However, 50mg Trazodone is not considered to be a theraputic dose for depression/anxiety; but as a sleep aid it is considered to be one of the safest. I have taken it on a PRN basis... meaning that I have occasionally skipped a few nights with no issues at all. Hey 49er... would you like my doctor's phone number? Bigwink Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2015, 06:00 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: Not too long ago I was trying to explain on the other forum that adaptation to a medication is not the same thing as addiction to a medication but it mostly fell on deaf ears. This distinction is not, as some believe, 'a matter of semantics'. There is a lot of misinformation about medication and addiction on the internet and on some of the psych med forums. As justMongo pointed out one does adapt to medications like trazodone so that tapering off should be done gently and gradually to avoid a harsh reaction to discontinuation -- but in terms of pharmacological action and the dangers of rapid withdrawal, addiction is its own animal.

Trazodone can be used for sleep on a PRN basis. If it was being used to treat depression it would need to be taken regularly but trazodone is not commonly prescribed for depression because of the sedating side effects.

Generally speaking, a "new" theory seems to always fall on deaf ears on that other forum.

I take Trazodone (50mg at bed time) and my doctor and I totally agree with everything you said.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2015, 06:00 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: Not too long ago I was trying to explain on the other forum that adaptation to a medication is not the same thing as addiction to a medication but it mostly fell on deaf ears. This distinction is not, as some believe, 'a matter of semantics'. There is a lot of misinformation about medication and addiction on the internet and on some of the psych med forums. As justMongo pointed out one does adapt to medications like trazodone so that tapering off should be done gently and gradually to avoid a harsh reaction to discontinuation -- but in terms of pharmacological action and the dangers of rapid withdrawal, addiction is its own animal.

Kaisgram,

Trazadone may not be technically addictive but many on the AD withdrawal forum have had to taper it very slowly even at low doses due to horrific side effects if they go too fast. I don't think their bodies really care about the distinction. I am not claiming everyone has these problems but I still feel that the mental health field greatly minimizes these issues and hides behind those distinctions.

Anyway, I am surprised that Trazadone can be used this way because I know someone who was taking another antidepressant for sleep and was told by his doctor that it had to build up in the system. That was my impression so thanks for the clarification.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2015, 06:14 PM)PositiveMe123 Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 01:36 PM)49er Wrote:
(10-05-2015, 08:44 AM)Sleepster Wrote: I take Trazodone, but only as needed. If you take it as a matter of routine I've heard it will be necessary to increase the dose as it stops working after awhile. As do all sleeping meds.

I find this very interesting since I thought any sleep medicine that is an antidepressant like Trazadone can't be taken on a PRN basis. Glad this has worked for you.

49er

Yes, it is an antiD. However, 50mg Trazodone is not considered to be a theraputic dose for depression/anxiety; but as a sleep aid it is considered to be one of the safest. I have taken it on a PRN basis... meaning that I have occasionally skipped a few nights with no issues at all. Hey 49er... would you like my doctor's phone number? Bigwink Laugh-a-lot

Well, how many times in history have drugs been considered to be safe only to be proven wrong? I am not knocking people who take meds because many times, the benefits outweigh the risks but in my opinion, those statements have not proven to be correct many times.

Even melatonin isn't side effect free as some people have claimed.

Nah, I have seen enough sleep doctors. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 12:57 PM)PositiveMe123 Wrote: Since both meds can be addictive, I think it's important to be aware of that fact. As with anything else, YMMV.

In my experience with taking Trazodone, as a PRN sleep med for several years . . . it's not an addictive drug like for an example the drugs found in the Benzodiazepine class like Xanax, Valium and Ativan, etc. I most certainly prefer to take something like Trazodone for insomnia over an atypical benzodiazepine like Ambien. When taking a psychotropic medications, like Trazodone and especially medications like Ambien, your MD needs to titrate you off the medication.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world
Post Reply Post Reply
Ambien is not addictive nor can you become dependent to it as long as you are taking the dosage correctly. The problem is people (and their docs) prescribe a sleeping pill then never go any further. They never work to see WHY the person has insomnia. Nearly all sleeping pills are designed to be taken for just a few weeks to perhaps 2 months (if used every night).

The problem with trazadone is there's not enough studies to show its long term effect of taking it for sleeping problems when depression is not present. It's been around a long time, yes, but as an anti-depressant. Prescribing it for sleep is considered "off label".

Because of how long it lasts in your system, trazadone is only best for sleep onset (can't fall asleep) and middle of the night (wake up and can't go back to sleep) insomnia. It isn't recommended for late insomnia (waking early in the morning and can't go back to sleep).
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-10-2015, 12:45 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The problem is people (and their docs) prescribe a sleeping pill then never go any further. They never work to see WHY the person has insomnia.

I have had chronic insomnia for the last 5 years. I know exactly what you mean by saying that people/docs don't ask WHY the insomnia is occurring. My own doctors (various medical specialities) have just prescribed sleeping pills (most often Trazodone) for me without investigating the underlying cause of the insomnia. However, in July 2015, I went to a new doctor to tell her about the constant problems with sleep . . . This is the wisest MD I've run into because she said "why don't you get a sleep study done?" Month later, I was diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea and the rest is history.
Be the change that you wish to see in the world
Post Reply Post Reply
Many people have become physically dependent on Benzos in spite of taking the dose correctly as prescribed by their doctors. As a result, I am assuming it wouldn't be any different with taking ambien if you have happened to be an unlucky soul. Having said that, since you can also become physically dependent on Trazadone by taking it long term, I wouldn't feel better taking it over Ambien. For me, if I went the med route, it would be an issue of which one worked the best with minimal side effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
Why is Belsomra so expensive? I tried it about a year ago, and it was $15 per pill! Then I found that one pill did not have any effect, so I had go take 2 to get to sleep. So I lay there for awhile thinking that it takes me $30 to get to sleep. My goodness, I told my wife that it would be better if she could just find a sledge hammer and pop me in the head.

Seriously, where is the cheapest place buy Belsomra. I may try it again, if I can find a reasonable price. The trazodone that I take on occasion is not having any effect.
PAP Mode: VPAP-S
EPAP 8.4 IPAP 10.6 
ave AHI = .5 (so far)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bad Insomnia r4robin 5 212 03-25-2024, 09:58 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
Question [Treatment] Treatment Emergent Central Apnea or Insomnia -- which is it? mallar 1 296 03-02-2024, 01:57 PM
Last Post: mallar
  Frustrating insomnia continues despite numbers alienfrontier 10 603 01-27-2024, 02:04 PM
Last Post: alienfrontier
  CPAP causing insomnia, hoping for some help starsknight 3 776 03-03-2023, 10:55 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Insomnia Slumberseeker 4 639 08-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Last Post: Slumberseeker
  Insomnia and treatment? ECM5 10 1,199 08-02-2022, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ECM5
  [Diagnosis] Understanding AHI, blood pressure, pulse, insomnia hollysleep 4 701 07-09-2022, 09:32 PM
Last Post: SevereApnea

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.