Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] A New Sleep Study Wednesday night
A New Sleep Study Wednesday night
Because I am now in the Medicare system, we are starting the process in hopes to get me an ASV machine. Part of this process is a new titration study. From there, who knows what will be required next?

The primary reason is my need for both ongoing surgeries, and the fact that I am in and will be in Pain MGNT for some years to come.

My Pain Doc sees me every 28 days, and both/either the dosage and/or the med itself can change at any of these APPTs. Due to this last med change, my amount of centrals have risen quite a bit.

Some days only 3-5 centrals per hour, other days I;ve seen as high as 30 centrals per hour (with no changes to my dream machine or mask)

So we both feel it is prudent to get me on a machine with a backup breathing rate - the trick is how to do it without dragging my Pain MGNT Doc into this mess - the fear being simply being taken off the meds - which impact my daily quality of life rather greatly.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A New Sleep Study Wednesday night
Peter, I don't envy your situation. I understand your thoughts about not involving the pain doc in your CPAP decision, but perhaps he should know what's going on? I don't know how your system works but could he add weight to your argument for the ASV by certifying that you NEED the meds and they MAY cause dangerous sleep breathing problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
Pete, I think DeepBreathing has given you all you need to hear to make your decision.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Wishing you good luck, PC.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good luck with the sleep test Peter...
Post Reply Post Reply
Also passing along good luck wishes
Post Reply Post Reply
Good thinking. But, early on in discussion with the pain Doc he stated that 'his' oversight looks for any reason to drop patients, so he politely suggested no contact with my sleep doc or it might be grounds for removal from his program. He forwards all of his notes both to my PCP and sleep Doc (labeled as second PCP) - it seems weird in Ohio - if the sleep doc make *any* noise about pain MGNT, I'll be out of it so quick, won't even have time to gracefully detox.

My sleep doc seems to both be aware and understand whats what, so the idea is to try to do what we can, without ruffling any feathers

Therein lies the rub. It would be quite easy if I got both docs on the same page saying this is needed due to the possible risk - but it *seems* that "possible risk" means STOP!!!! in this state.

I would hate to have to choose between the two. I can't even bear thinking about it.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
My other choice, is to stop here, be happy with my S9, and start wearing my Oximeter nightly with the low O2 alarm set. That is my planned fall-back position.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all the "good luck" wishes - am not sure exactly what to wish for tonight? Lots of CAs I guess??

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, It's sad when pain management gets trumped by the doctors personal risk management.

Best of luck on the test. I hope you studied up...Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 230 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 76 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 531 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 144 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 63 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.