Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] A beginner, HELP
A beginner, HELP
Hi everyone and happy Thanksgiving.

This is my first day on the forum, and just installed Sleepyhead and downloaded my data. I have been using my CPAP for 4 weeks. My sleep study showed an API of 65 and my machine is set on 8 in CPAP mode. My first question is I have my first follow up Dr Appointment in three weeks should I wait to make changes?  Do physicians get upset about patients taking control?

My first two weeks showed below 1 API, but I still tossed and turned and woke up a lot. I am using a nose mask and I am having trouble with stuffiness, I have the humidifier set on Max and the water still lasts up 4 or 5 days? So I have concerns if its working? Sinus rinse helps, and last night I used three drops of eucalyptus oil in the water. I think that helped a bit.

My concern is that hypopneas have gone way up causing the API to hit almost 30 a couple of days ago. I think I should set the machine to Auto and maybe raise the setting to 10 and the max to 15, of course I am new to all this and want advice, I am not sure how to capture the data that is most useful to share with the forum from Sleepyhead.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A beginner, HELP
I don't think anyone here will tell you to wait. you can adjust your machine today or get a doctors appointment for him to do it today. I know which one is easier. If you go back to your appointment with good AHI and hours used, your doc will be happy.

turn the humidifier on in the warm up cycle, you should be able to feel the plate being hot.

you can get the clinical manual here
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

the basic how to get into settings
http://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-c...structions
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Horst900,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

We would really like to see some data before making recommendations on pressure changes, although you will more than likely do better on Auto mode.  

Do you know the makeup of your AHI, Obstructive, hypopneas, Clear Airways?  If you feel more comfortable waiting to talk to your doctor, that is fine.   It in the meantime, we are happy to take a look and advise.

A good rule to follow is to set your pressure range approximately 2 below your 90% pressure reading and 2 above.  

Follow the tutorials in my signature line.  Pay attention to the organization of the graphs.  We need to see a screenshot of the daily page.  Use imgur to post a screenshot of your data here.

Since you are new, leave a space in the link from imgur.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Now how did I leave out getting sleeepyhead and getting a chart up? It's hard to adjust when you don't have any suggestions
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have the Dreamstation humidifier set on Max, it should use most of the water in one night.  Make sure it is the humidifier you have on Max and not the heated hose only.  If it is on Max, my guess is that it is not working.  If you stick your finger in the water in the morning, or middle of the night, it should feel warm, but not hot.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you that is what I wanted to hear, about not waiting. I am being technically challenged transferring data from Sleepyhead to this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a lot of value in getting feedback here.

As far as how it affects your patient/doctor relationship if you make changes to your own machine, please realize that it may cause problems for you resulting in the need to find another doctor. Unlike ajack, my experience did not result in a doctor that was happy with my success. (although he did say that he'd never seen such good results and so quickly... too bad he is unable to connect the dots to realize why)
Post Reply Post Reply
Use imgr as listed in my signature. But you won’t be able to post the full url until you have more than 4 posts so put a space in the htt p:// and we can work it out

Jason
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I checked that I was changing the right one, and have used the finger test several times. It was warm once and cold ever since. I am going to double check and turn both on max and see if it gets warm. But I think its probably defective, and thats good news rather then it not being helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply
Jason does RE count as posts this makes 4, I really want to figure out how to transfer the data, I do most all on the smartphone and technology is leaving me in the dust, Lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 431 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Another CPAP beginner seeking guidance. sebirez 31 2,312 08-28-2023, 09:45 PM
Last Post: sebirez
  Beginner in self treatment seeking advice sleepysloth 8 734 08-07-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question Beginner and newcomer introduces himself Phil the ... 3 484 04-14-2023, 07:05 AM
Last Post: stanleyjack
  Beginner here. Is it RERAs problem? acerlogic 0 478 04-07-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: acerlogic
  Am I getting the right cpap backup battery? Beginner here ttrani01 12 1,417 03-22-2023, 05:17 PM
Last Post: enjoysleep59
  Beginner at CPAP therapy with questions sleepy742 5 933 08-25-2022, 10:05 AM
Last Post: sunsaffron

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.