Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] A10 ffm vs Mirage Quattro ffm vs P10
Question 
A10 ffm vs Mirage Quattro ffm vs P10
Hi All

I started my APAP therapy 3 weeks back and so far everything is going OK Smile, except for the masks.

I initially started with the A10 ffm (medium), but had a lot of air leakage on the bridge of my nose and sometimes a lot of 'whistling' when tightening the straps, contacted the vendor about this and he ordered a small ffm to try. This only made matters worse as when I open my mouth to speak with the mask on my underlip goes outside the mask-so no success here either.

The vendor then ordered a quattro mirage ffm with the dial on the forehead which I tried last night. This seems to solve the problem of leaking/whistling when sleeping on my side-the problem I have is that my AHI numbers does not differ much from the A10 results and wearing this mask is cumbersome as the cushion on my forehead is bothering me through the night.

Will the P10 make a huge difference as I do not like the look/feel of the quattro?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: A10 ffm vs Mirage Quattro ffm vs P10
I haven't tried the quattro and haven't used an ffm since my original sleep study.

I can't really remember all the names of the ones I've tried, but looking back, they really sucked. I used the optilife for about 8 years, it sucked too. I just stuck it out.

I have used the P10 for 6 months and I really like it. It's, hands down, the best mask I've used in 15 years.

Bottom line, the P10 is worth trying and my AHIs are usually < 1.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used the F10 for my first 2 weeks and received a P10 to try yesterday.

I like my F10, it has taken about 2 weeks to get the leaks under control with adjusting and learning how to sleep on my side with it. But, it is okay now.

The P10 is VERY small and light. It has a super flexible short piece of hose which further reduces any movement impact while wearing it. Very nice. I am very hopeful that it will work out, except for one thing, my Leak Rate was 52.80/95%. I woke numerous times with dry mouth and tongue. So, it appears I am a mouth breather and will have to address that tonight and see how it goes.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2016, 07:15 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I woke numerous times with dry mouth and tongue.

Frank,

I have that maybe once every two weeks. Chin strap doesn't help me. Cough drops help soothe it. I'm still working on my humidifier settings. I also end up fiddling with the nose pillows a good bit before I conk out. But overall, I like it.
Just my personal opinion.  My posts are not medical advice or a statement of fact.  Please consult a qualified physician or other qualified medical personnel.  Please comply with all applicable laws, codes, regulations, and protocols.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2016, 07:38 AM)sdb7802 Wrote:
(04-20-2016, 07:15 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I woke numerous times with dry mouth and tongue.

Frank,

I have that maybe once every two weeks. Chin strap doesn't help me. Cough drops help soothe it. I'm still working on my humidifier settings. I also end up fiddling with the nose pillows a good bit before I conk out. But overall, I like it.
Frank and sdb,

Sdb's comments point out something important about using nasal masks and nasal pillows masks when there is a tendency to mouth breathe at night: If the mouth breathing is relatively rare (every couple of weeks) or relatively minor (the 95% leak rates are usually well below 24 L/min for a resmed user), then it's ok to simply not worry about the mouth breathing on the occasional night.

On the other hand, if there's evidence of substantial mouth breathing on most nights, then something does need to be done if one wants to continue using a nasal mask or a nasal pillows mask.

Chin straps are the most common suggestion, particularly by RTs and sleep docs. Mouth taping and cervical collars are commonly suggested by PAPers who have found them to be useful after finding that chin straps didn't seem to do the job.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2016, 08:55 AM)robysue Wrote: Chin straps are the most common suggestion, particularly by RTs and sleep docs. Mouth taping and cervical collars are commonly suggested by PAPers who have found them to be useful after finding that chin straps didn't seem to do the job.

I plan to give this a good chance to succeed. It took me a week to get the leaks to settle down with my F10, and I think the P10 deserves at least as fair of a chance.

I really like the size and weight of the P10. I really like that the seal only has to be in the nose. I like the super flexible hose that attaches to it. I miss the hose snap on connector of the F10.

If I have to use a chin strap the only way that will fly is if I can get my AHI significantly lower with the P10 than the F10. The "point" of the P10 trial at this point is comfort, so, wearing a chin strap doesn't make sense. But, if I can reduce my AHI from say 6.2 to > 5 (or better yet down into the 2 or 3 range) then I might consider the chin strap.

Yesterday, 14th day on F10 I felt fairly good waking up, today no so much. Today (p10 last night) my AHI wasn't horrible (8.6) but it wasn't good. But, I think the real problem was waking over 10 times last night.
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2016, 03:54 AM)SleepMeister007 Wrote: Hi All

I started my APAP therapy 3 weeks back and so far everything is going OK Smile, except for the masks.

I initially started with the A10 ffm (medium), but had a lot of air leakage on the bridge of my nose and sometimes a lot of 'whistling' when tightening the straps, contacted the vendor about this and he ordered a small ffm to try. This only made matters worse as when I open my mouth to speak with the mask on my underlip goes outside the mask-so no success here either.

The vendor then ordered a quattro mirage ffm with the dial on the forehead which I tried last night. This seems to solve the problem of leaking/whistling when sleeping on my side-the problem I have is that my AHI numbers does not differ much from the A10 results and wearing this mask is cumbersome as the cushion on my forehead is bothering me through the night.

Will the P10 make a huge difference as I do not like the look/feel of the quattro?

Hi SleepMeister007,
If you like the feel of the Quattro, then try to make it work. Have you tried mask liners to help with the leaks?
The P10 mask is the least cumbersome out there, but not everyone can use it, but is worth a try. You AHI numbers probably won't be affected much, but some find that they use a lower pressure with nasal pillows.
Good luck in your search.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi I started with F10 and switched to P10.
Now I have had issuesw ith both but by far prefer P10 as have no leaks, comfortbale and I get much lower AHI,s. If you can get this to work for you I dont think you'll look back.
Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-20-2016, 08:55 AM)robysue Wrote: Frank and sdb,

Sdb's comments point out something important about using nasal masks and nasal pillows masks when there is a tendency to mouth breathe at night: If the mouth breathing is relatively rare (every couple of weeks) or relatively minor (the 95% leak rates are usually well below 24 L/min for a resmed user), then it's ok to simply not worry about the mouth breathing on the occasional night.

On the other hand, if there's evidence of substantial mouth breathing on most nights, then something does need to be done if one wants to continue using a nasal mask or a nasal pillows mask.

Chin straps are the most common suggestion, particularly by RTs and sleep docs. Mouth taping and cervical collars are commonly suggested by PAPers who have found them to be useful after finding that chin straps didn't seem to do the job.

Thanks, robysue. I was somewhat alarmed when I had a dry throat two nights in a row but then it cleared up. I think that I mouth breathe every once in while for some reason. If my dry throat wakes me, I get up, get something to drink, get a couple of cough drops, and go back to sleep. By morning, my throat usually feels normal and I write it off as just one of those things.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me the Brevida seals much better than the P10, stays in place much better as I move around, and is more comfortable to wear. My leak rate using it is much lower, and my AHI is better. It is almost the same weight as the P10, and has a similar strap arrangement, but it is adjustable, unlike the P10 which is not. If you are looking for a new mask it is well worth a look. It feels a bit different, but for me the feel is softer. It does touch more of your skin, so the one negative is that sometimes you want to scratch under it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quattro FX full face mask? Wayne41 5 399 01-17-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Wayne41
  Mirage FX Vs Eson 2 mask jblkiller 0 488 07-27-2023, 10:04 AM
Last Post: jblkiller
  Mirage Quattro Question Jimnyc2000 0 506 07-03-2023, 09:59 PM
Last Post: Jimnyc2000
  Mirage FX mask: Wide or Standard HappyCpappySmile 0 577 08-24-2022, 11:38 PM
Last Post: HappyCpappySmile
  RIP Quattro FX dave1013 5 750 08-16-2022, 04:12 PM
Last Post: dave1013
  [Equipment] Thinking about trying Mirage Liberty kingpin 5 1,058 06-13-2022, 01:03 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
Surprised Mirage Quatro Cushion cleaning Redorchid2404 7 899 04-12-2022, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.