Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] AHI about 10
AHI about 10
I had a sleep test in August with an AHI of 23 with REM AHI at 34.

I've been using my Phillips Respironics RemStar APAP for 11 weeks. My AHI has been about 10 from the beginning, even after my Dr. changed the pressure range to 7-14.

After my second Dr. visit, he didn't want to change any settings even with my AHI around 10. Should I be doing anything else?

Thanks for any advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: AHI about 10
Maybe try a different mask?

Oh and welcome to the forum mapetty!!
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi mapetty,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Do you know if you are having trouble with large mask leaks?
Hang in there for more answers to your questions and much success to you with your CPAP therapy and getting it fine tuned to meet your needs.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-07-2015, 06:08 PM)mapetty Wrote: I had a sleep test in August with an AHI of 23 with REM AHI at 34.

I've been using my Phillips Respironics RemStar APAP for 11 weeks. My AHI has been about 10 from the beginning, even after my Dr. changed the pressure range to 7-14.

After my second Dr. visit, he didn't want to change any settings even with my AHI around 10. Should I be doing anything else?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi mapetty,
An AHI of 10 is too high. Can you look at your SleepyHead data and give us your 90% pressure number, and look at the pressure graph to determine how low your pressure dips during the night.

Also give us the breakdown of your AHI number: clear airways, Obstructives, hypopneas.

How is your leak rate? Let us know what that is also. It may be a matter of raising the minimum pressure up a bit, but can't make recommendations without more info.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is some SleepyHead data

Last 30 Days Details
CPAP Usage
7:57 Average Hours per Night
100% Compliance

Therapy Efficiacy
10.29 AHI
3.32 Obstructive Index
5.12 Hypopnea Index
1.84 Clear Airway Index
0.22 Flow Limitation Index
1.82 RERA Index
0.84% % of time in Cheyne Stokes Respiration

Leak Statistics
2.3 Average Leak Rate
3 90% Leak Rate
1.36% % of time above Leak Rate threshold

Pressure Statistics
9.66 Average Pressure
4 Min Pressure
14 Max Pressure
13.4 90% Pressure

Post Reply Post Reply
Leak rate isn't bad, but you need to be mindful of it. Do you notice a problem at night, are you possibly mouth breathing at all?

I believe if your starting pressure were raised to 8cm, you may see a reduction in the Hypopneas and Obstructives.

You may also want to try turning the ramp off.

It's hard to understand why your doctor wouldn't want to help you get your AHI down.
An AHI <5 is considered treated.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll try it. Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe bump up the top pressure a bit... If you don't need it you likely won't use it.
Post Reply Post Reply
you will likely wind up around a 9.5 min pressure but go up 1 cm at a time . or -even .5 at a time
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with bumping your pressure up a little at a time. I would bump both EPAP and IPAP the same amount. Stick with each small change for a while before making the next adjustment. If centrals go up and stay up, make no more adjustments. Ditto if you start having aerophagia. Let it run for a while longer and if either goes away give it the next bump. If your AHI does not improve by the time you get to 9-16, let it run for a while and take stock of where you are. Let us know how you are doing.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.