Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Flow Limitation Index
Flow Limitation Index
Its my understanding that APAPs respond to flow limitations by increasing pressure, but why do APAPs score a flow limitation index?  I'm curious as to what is an acceptable or good flow limitation index and what might be considered unacceptable or poor.  In other words, what is considered high or what is considered low?  I have observed that on some nights I'll have a positive FL index and a RERA index of 0.  Then on other nights, I'll have a FL index of 0, but a positive RERA index.  Can my machine confuse the two?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Flow Limitation Index
In general, this is the sequence of events as the airway closes more and more.

All good->Snore->Flow Limitation->RERA->Hypopnea->obstructive Apnea

The machine has algorithms to look at your breathing waveform and slot it in these buckets. So it's not rare to see it slot some RERA but no FL.

A FL event in itself will not disturb your sleep architecture or reduce your spo2. I won't worry about them. The APAP algorithm does take it into account and proactively raise pressure to 'stay ahead' of any AHI event that may be coming down the waveform. Resmed raises it more aggressively than respironics.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2017, 01:31 AM)AshSF Wrote: All good->Snore->Flow Limitation->RERA->Hypopnea->obstructive Apnea

Thanks for the flow chart (pardon the pun). That really makes sense when you put it in writing. Have been wondering the relationship of Snore/Flow Limitation/RERA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-08-2017, 01:31 AM)AshSF Wrote: ->Snore->Flow Limitation->RERA->Hypopnea->obstructive Apnea

Do all of those count toward AHI?  Such that AHI is the avg of the sum of each of those per hour?

So what we're trying to do, via xPAP, is to decrease as many of those as possible?  If we can't get rid of all of those, is it best to decrease the more severe ones (ie: OAs) and let some of the less severe (ie: snore, FL) stick aroune?

Where does a CA land in that "flow" (haha)?  Or is it a thing of its own, since it's a brain thing rather than a physical obstruction?
Post Reply Post Reply
A link from the Beginners Guide to SH explains in depth the relationship of flow limitations,
Rera's and apnea, and how they are scored.

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...Rate_graph
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 81 1 hour ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 250 4 hours ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 308 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 112 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,610 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.