Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] ASV settings for treatment of complex sleep apnea
RE: ASV settings for treatment of complex sleep apnea
Thank you.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the others I see nothing else to change for now is the ASV beneficial ? How do you feel ?
Post Reply Post Reply
Feeling better than I was on any of the other machines, more energy during the day, actually starting to feel refreshed in the morning  Thumbs-up-2

I'm surprised I can tolerate such a high PS when I'm asleep, well, I guess it makes sense... since the pressure increases would really only be compensating for a more collapsed/narrowed airway or to treat CAs.
Nothing I post is medical advice and should not be taken as such, always consult a medical professional for guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
I realize it's still early to draw strong conclusions, but what do you think has changed in the objective data that would explain better subjective outcomes?

I was looking back at your earlier thread, and I wasn't seeing the problem in your wave forms, etc.

I've read a lot of Krakow's stuff advocating ASV for treating UARS, but I never exactly understood why, or under what conditions it makes sense, so I'm partially using your specific case to try to figure this out.

I also suspect someone like me would not benefit from ASV, so I want to understand that as well.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-05-2020, 12:26 PM)slowriter Wrote: I've read a lot of Krakow's stuff advocating ASV for treating UARS, but I never exactly understood why, or under what conditions it makes sense, so I'm partially using your specific case to try to figure this out.

The problem in UARS is the arousals. The arousals at least in some theories are caused by a slow steady increase in CO2 due to continuous minor flow limitation which makes sense to me. As the analogy goes it is like breathing through a straw and if you try that it may take a while but eventually you start to feel the effects.

ASV differs from APAP and bilevel in that it compensates flow limitations in order to maintain a minimum minute vent. You can see that in JoeyWallaby's results where it supplies enough extra pressure to not only bring his breathing back to the same rate prior to the flow limitation but to actually influence a larger breath/breaths to make up for the flow limited breath. This would at least in theory provide some advantages for UARS. 

I imagine the right EPAP and PS settings with auto bilevel are effective for lots of people with RERA issues but I could see ASV being advantageous in more difficult situations(especially if flow limitations fluctuate like say are obviously worse during rem sleep).
Post Reply Post Reply
Which waveforms are you referring to, when you say you can't see any problems in them? In my old thread, if look at the CPAP charts with anything from EPR off to EPR 3, you can see my breathing is clearly flow limited. While it isn't severe, more like mild-moderate, you can see a massive improvement in moving to BiLevel. The problem was that with BiLevel, I was having significant CAs despite everything I tried, so moving to ASV has treated the flow limitation and also the CA  Coffee

CPAP flow limitation
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid320050

BiLevel CAs
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...#pid323577
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I was referring to on the bilevel.

So bilevel did, in your view, treat the FL, and you moved to ASV because of the CAs?
Post Reply Post Reply
Correct.
Post Reply Post Reply
So to answer my own question, we might say, as a general rule, ASV may be worth trying for those with substantial FL-induced arousals (UARS, etc.), and who either:
  1. suffer from treatment-emergent central apnea, even at standard bilevel PS ranges (4-6), or
  2. require very high (greater than 6) and/or variable PS that would otherwise almost inevitably lead to central apneas
Post Reply Post Reply
tangentially related, for the sake of discussion, I'll add that asv brought my ahi down to about 0.3 but wasn't able to compensate for my non-passive periodic leg movement induced flow limitations. pressure support can't be limited enough to avoid rapidly swinging ps; I didn't realize until trying vauto how much it was disturbing me, even though I was unaware of it. currently running vauto with ps 5 ps and with relatively low ipap to avoid the beating I was taking with asv. result is higher ahi (still under about 3) but feeling better than ever in 3 years of pap'n.

however, I will say that if the results are accurate, the efficacy of the asv to get the lowest possible ahi can't be denied.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 57 Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 246 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 355 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 615 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 294 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 128 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.