Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Adjustable Bed
Adjustable Bed
I have sleep apnea all my life. I always remember being tired. I have struggled in life and feel I lost a lot of productivity. I was diagnosed with apnea in late 2013 before turning 34. 2 years later I have used a MAS molded by dentist. I feel this isn't the best way to sleep. I also tried cpap and despised it.

I am curious if anyone has used an adjustable bed.

I think my body would rather be elevated.

Also if I can avoid wearing something it would be nice.

My diagnosis was moderate.

Hopefully I will find someone else like me who can help.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Adjustable Bed
The single best thing you can do to reduce the effects of sleep apnea is to sleep exclusively on your sides, avoid back sleeping at all costs.

I've tried elevating my bed and also tried sleeping in a recliner. Neither worked as well as side sleeping.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
How do you make yourself comfortable sleeping on your side?

I have tried it and my shoulder, neck, and back hurt.

I forgot to mention I am not overweight and actually exercise and eat healthy.

My biggest struggle is sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had trouble side sleeping and the answer was a 4" foam mattress topper. It has 2" of standard foam and 2" of memory foam. I got mine at Walmart for about $100, the best investment in sleep comfort I ever made! I also use a pillow that is labeled for side sleepers, no big special item, just a bit firmer and thicker than a normal one.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
I had never been a back sleeper--I have a really screwed up back. In December 2014 I had a left rotator cuff tear (a bad one) repaired. No problem, I thought--I sleep on my right side anyway, but maybe I should occasionally try my back. We had a Temperpedic mattress and I found it much more comfortable than our old mattress for sleeping on my back--and my right shoulder started to hurt. In June 2015, exactly 6 months after the first surgery, I tore the right cuff and had surgery. My left shoulder wasn't quite up to the job of having me sleep on it full time and I learned to sleep on my back. I think a lot of not sleeping well is the mattress and pillow. With both shoulders healed I now sleep on either side--luckily I can do that as I have a right knee replacement next week and can't sleep on my right side for awhile and want to stay off my back as I have problems with mouth leaks (chipmunk cheeks) when I sleep on my back. My husband also uses a CPAP and he sleeps on his stomach--I can't do that--my neck won't turn far enough!
Post Reply Post Reply
I will add that I was a life-long back sleeper so there was a training period wherein I used a pillow on on side of my back to tilt my body so that I could keep my face sideways on the pillow while having my legs in the position nearly like when back sleeping. I did that for about three months and finally found I could get by without it since it was keeping me from easily changing sides, which is sort of necessary.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-06-2016, 10:18 PM)Wanttosleep80 Wrote: How do you make yourself comfortable sleeping on your side?

I have tried it and my shoulder, neck, and back hurt.

I forgot to mention I am not overweight and actually exercise and eat healthy.

My biggest struggle is sleep.

As others have said, the key is the quality of mattress. Yes, you can buy an adjustable bed, but if the mattress isn't good quality, your sleep won't be comfortable.

I have an adjustable bed with tempurpedic mattress. I bought before using Cpap, because I never liked sleeping flat. With that said, using an adjustable bed is not a cure all for sleep apnea, nor is it an alternative to using CPAP.

The important thing here is you have sleep apnea...doesn't matter if moderate, you are being strangled several times an hour every night, and I would bet that the diaganosis you got in 2013 is probably severe sleep apnea (since you've gone untreated) now in 2016.

You are still a young man. Don't wait until you acquire heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. from unthreaded SA.

For your own health and future, revisit the use of Cpap, because untreated SA will kill you eventually.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used MAS since 2014 because cpap did nothing for me. It was very uncomfortable. I am going to look for side sleeping solutions.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's your decision but I advise you to at least get/use a recording oximeter to see if you are oxygen starving your system at times. If you have a bed partner, they may also be able to tell you if you are having pauses in breathing. As an alternate, a digital audio recorder could be used. I used one initially to see if I had a problem long before getting diagnosed.

A sleep lab or home sleep test are better option. You need to see where you are starting from, whether it's slight, mild, severe or whatever. A professional test and opinion at this point could add years to your life.

Dude
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Wanttosleep80,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Adjustable Beds fredhaddock 2 657 11-04-2023, 07:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Side Sleeping In Adjustable Bed and Sleep Apnea All4Heels 2 900 09-18-2022, 06:00 PM
Last Post: All4Heels
  Anyone tried an adjustable bed frame? Sleepy Willy 0 632 05-14-2022, 09:41 PM
Last Post: Sleepy Willy
  Adjustable Beds Johnboy 2 1,399 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Last Post: Mosquitobait
  Is the Minimum Use Threshold on the Intellipap adjustable? LevelMarc 2 1,869 01-28-2015, 10:01 PM
Last Post: LevelMarc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.