Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Advice on getting used to CPAP
RE: Advice on getting used to CPAP
just saw that your pressure range is 5-10. It's very likely that that range may need to be adjusted to get good AHI values. Right now, it's more important to get used to sleeping with the mask and the pressure, though, (in my opinion).
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Everyone! Your information is SO MUCH more helpful than anything my medical providers have explained to me. And last night - even though I would not describe it as a great night of sleep - I managed 7 hours and had an AHI of 3.6. Now that is progress.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey, that's terrific! You are making swift progress. like

(06-08-2016, 06:53 AM)JaneAM Wrote: Thanks Everyone! Your information is SO MUCH more helpful than anything my medical providers have explained to me. And last night - even though I would not describe it as a great night of sleep - I managed 7 hours and had an AHI of 3.6. Now that is progress.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Friends - OK - 14 straight days of using the new CPAP machine - so hooray for sticking with it. The last three nights I've had decreasing AHI readings - from 7.7 to 5.7 to 4.9. The first week, all the readings were more like 12 to 17. 90% pressure varies from low of 8.5 to high of 11.

Three questions: 1. I have the amara view minimal view minimal contact full face mask. I started with a small and after a week switched to a medium. It still leaves red marks on my face for the first hour of the day and I can't get the headband to not hurt my ears by halfway through the night. I'm going to try out a nasal pillow mask - but know that my mouth often falls open when I sleep. Any tips on how I can get a nasal pillow mask to work for me?

2. I am using the DreamMapper software for data. I tried to download the SleepyHead, but my computer security protections won't accept it. Is there a phone number to call for help with the SleepyHead software?

3. How long does it take to notice positive effects from using a CPAP? I'm still tired in the afternoons - which is the symptom that prompted my doctor to first send me for the sleep lab tests.

Thanks! Jane
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2016, 06:32 PM)JaneAM Wrote: 3. How long does it take to notice positive effects from using a CPAP? I'm still tired in the afternoons - which is the symptom that prompted my doctor to first send me for the sleep lab tests.

There are just too many variables to allow a simple answer. How old you are, how long you've had SA, the general state of your health, and many other factors are involved. For some it takes more than CPAP, whereas for others CPAP gives overnight results. Some people take months to notice improvement. I didn't improve at all on APAP but when supplemental oxygen at night was added I started to. We are all different.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
2) Disable your anti-virus software (Norton?). It is giving a false positive for SleepyHead. It is not infected with a virus. Some of the anti-virus program error on the side of safety over accuracy.

"The last three nights I've had decreasing AHI readings - from 7.7 to 5.7 to 4.9." -- this is quite normal. I think this is mostly your mind and body getting used to the therapy and pressure changes. The results are not quite as automatic as we would like. It seems to take at least 3-4 days after I make a change before I start seeing results.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JaneAM,
I know you've heard this many times, but the hardest and most challenging part of therapy is finding the right mask. If you want to try a nasal pillow mask and you know that you breathe through your mouth or that your jaw drops open, then a chin strap is a must.

Start practicing keeping your tongue to the roof of your mouth.

Place your tongue to roof of mouth with tip of tongue behind front teeth, then gently suck upwards.
This places your tongue in a natural position and seals the back of your throat, so that no air can escape if your mouth falls open. You can practice during the day too. It takes some time, but will work if your persistent. I was able to get rid of my chin strap after a couple months once I perfected this. It's worth a try.

Nasal pillows work great, but choose a pillow size larger than what is recommended. The pillow should not be inserted into the nostril too far, only just a little. Most of the pillow should sit just under the nose and not be worn tight.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@JaneAM (and others) I left some Amara View suggestions in your newer thread - 3rd week suggestions...
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Jane,

You might want to google pad a cheek as you might find some products that could address the problems you are having regarding red marks on your face from wearing the Amara View. I am wondering if you should try this first since you seem to be making progress with your therapy.

Best of luck.

49er
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Pad-a-Cheek pad and they work very well. I used to have "mask marks" most of the day.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 295 3 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 170 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 862 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,797 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 144 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 79 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 799 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.