Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Have you tried alternative Sleep Apnea treatments & did they work for you?
This poll is closed.
I have tried an alternative (non-CPAP) treatment and it worked very well.
0%
0 0%
I have tried an alternative (non-CPAP) treatment and it worked somewhat well.
18.18%
2 18.18%
I have tried an alternative (non-CPAP) treatment and it did not work at all.
0%
0 0%
I have never tried alternatives to CPAP.
81.82%
9 81.82%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

[Treatment] Alternative Sleep Apnea Treatments you have tried?
Question 
Alternative Sleep Apnea Treatments you have tried?
CPAP Alternatives Poll

I'd like to get a rough idea of how many of our members have tried alternatives to CPAP treatment and how they feel each alternative worked for them personally.

Please first vote in the poll - the question in the POLL is related to whether or not you tried alternative treatments and if they worked or not.

After you vote, please reply in this thread if you have attempted an alternative (non-CPAP) Sleep Apnea treatment, perhaps offering some information like the following:

1. What alternative treatments have you tried?

2. Did they work? If so, how well did they work? If not, why don't you think they worked?

Thanks

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Alternative Sleep Apnea Treatments you have tried?
I've tried positional therapy using a side sleeping belt. It worked well, but left me feeling restricted… oddly strapping myself into a positional device felt more more of a chore than CPAP (Swift FX). It reduced my mild-to-moderate OSA to normal levels (AHI less than 5) but after a while I found I ached in the morning and removed it for the last hour of sleep (not great considering my OSA is REM related and REM occurs more in the morning). I missed sleeping on my back.

I also found that 5-HTP reduced my AHI to just below the 5 threshold which was great but the majority of my snoring was still there (albeit a bit quieter). I suspect this wouldn't be as effective for those with a higher AHI than mine (Supine AHI was 13 - not massive but still not good)

I lost a stone in weight but that didn't help at all.

I've tried several off-the-shelf mandibular advancement devices and one made by my dentist. Some were comfortable and did reduce my AHI (but not my snoring), although my jaw did ache for a couple of hours in the morning. The one that the dentist made needed to be advanced so much to have any effect that it became a pain to wear and hurt after a couple of hours. Saliva build-up was also a problem with a couple of them.

CPAP is the most effective thing I've found at reducing my AHI and pretty much eliminating my snoring.

I've blogged about each method, but I'm not sure if blog links are allowed here, so I'll hold off posting until someone says it's okay.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-13-2012, 03:31 PM)Hypnagog Wrote: I've blogged about each method, but I'm not sure if blog links are allowed here, so I'll hold off posting until someone says it's okay.

If the blog is commercial in nature or you sell things or services, a link is not allowed.

But if you'd simply like to copy & paste the text of a non-commercial article into your post here, that's perfectly fine and probably the best route to go to avoid violating any rules.

Send me a PM (private message) if you have specific questions on a specific link.

Coffee
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. PM sent.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just had to try one of the sleep apnea pills when I couldn't get my AHI into a normal range. Of course it did nothing and was a waste of money. I also tried lobelia which is a respiratory stimulant, but again not an iota of difference. It was a bit of foolishness on my part, but I'm glad I got the idea out of my system and could go back to CPAP and working on getting good quality sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 234 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  Collars for positional sleep apnea Jimasripper 17 351 03-25-2024, 10:05 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 6 292 03-23-2024, 04:43 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  Obstructive Sleep Apnea After Stroke Help MB123 1 75 03-23-2024, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.