Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pressure, Flow, and Leaks
RE: Pressure, Flow, and Leaks
(05-25-2016, 12:08 AM)chill Wrote: I've seen a lot of posts that say these CPAP machines increase pressure in response to leaks. That does not make sense to the part of my brain that remembers a bit of my university physics. If there is a leak pressure should drop, the same as punctured tire. The machine would increase flow (volume of air) to compensate for the leak and maintain therapy pressure (up to the point where it can't provide more flow which I think is the "large leak" point).

Right, except I think the threshold for "Large Leak" is usually much lower than where the machine can't provide more flow.

(05-25-2016, 04:05 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: Flow rate is whatever the flow rate needs (up to the capacity of the turbine) to be to maintain the pressure.

That is my understanding.

The pressure which is being maintained is the target Mask Pressure. The blower pressure is maintained at a higher pressure than the target Mask Pressure, by the amount of pressure loss across the hose.

The pressure dropped crossed the hose is a function of the airflow rate (which is measured by the blower) and of the tube type (diameter and length). This is why the correct tube type should be entered into the machine's settings by the equipment provider or by the user.

If we use the fat tube (not slimline) and if our Mask Pressure is fairly low, and if unintended Leak is fairly low, I think not much error would be caused by the tube type being incorrectly set.

But if we use the narrow tube, and if unintended Leak is very high, or if our Pressure is very high (leading to high intended leak through the mask vent holes), then the Mask Pressure may be surprisingly much lower than what the machine thinks/reports it is, if the tube type is incorrectly set.

(05-25-2016, 04:05 AM)FrankNichols Wrote: I have read (meaning I don't know what they do) that machines increase pressure (flow) in response to leaks ...

Usually, people who think "machines increase pressure (flow) in response to leaks" don't understand the difference between pressure and flow.

Pressure is measured in units of force per unit area, for example pounds per square inch.

Flow is a rate and is measured in units of volume per unit time, for example Liters per minute).

(05-25-2016, 05:00 AM)justMongo Wrote: There are two definitions of flow that one must consider. There is the absolute flow from the generator. And, there is the flow in/out of the person's airway.

Right. The "Flow" waveform in ResScan and SleepyHead represents the estimated rate of flow in our airway (lungs).

(05-25-2016, 05:00 AM)justMongo Wrote: There is apparently a middle ground where the leak causes the machine to be unable to properly detect the flow to/from the person. Thinking the flow has diminished, the machine raises pressure.

I have noticed in my Flow waveforms that during periods of high Leak the Flow plotted by the machine is usually much lower than when there is not high leak. I think the Flow estimated during high leak is surely much lower than reality.

So if high leakage made it seem like the Flow has dropped more than 40% or 50%, perhaps the machine could misinterpret the simple high leak as being, instead, an hypopnea accompanied by high Leak.

And you are saying, in other words, that during times of high leakage perhaps the machine may incorrectly think an hypopnea is occurring and, in response, may eventually raise the Mask Pressure? Seems like this may be possible, but I think neither ResMed or Philips Respironics has confirmed their machines could respond that way, so I'm not sure.

And if an ASV or other ventilator class of machine is used, during times of high leakage perhaps Pressure Support may be raised immediately in an attempt to end the apparent hypopnea? Again, it seems like this may be possible, but I'm not sure.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
chill - would you mind if I moved this thread from the Advisory Members forum into the Main Forum?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have no objections, there is a lot of good information here -- more than I expected! I posted here originally as my focus was on "I want to tell people the correct thing".
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 5 53 5 minutes ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 8 238 38 minutes ago
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 10 305 03-25-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: jane2911
  [Equipment] HELP - BIPAP-ST Restricting Inhalation/Exhalation Air Flow / Tidal Volume PAPPER101 3 110 03-24-2024, 09:29 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  flow limitations acceptable levels yankees123 27 1,608 03-23-2024, 02:41 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.