Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Am I cured
Am I cured
I have been on CPAP now for nine months. In the first few months I could really fell the pressure on my face, 15 setting. After a few months I have to check the machine to check the settings or even on because I cannot tell. The pressure seems to be completely gone. The machine say 15 the air is coming out of the sides of mask,If I take it off its a massive air flow. Am I cured?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Am I cured
No. You are adapted. There's a big difference. CPAP machines don't cure sleep apnea, they treat it.

The important question is whether or not the CPAP therapy is effective. SleepyHead will tell you your AHI. You also need to monitor your leak rates.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately sleep apnea is a life long problem, I tried to ignore mine until a friend send me this way. with the right equipment and support system, it is very much manageable.

I am very grateful that my friend pointed me in this direction, having a support system such as this community has already made a world of difference for me.
"I'm not asleep... but that doesn't mean I'm awake."
Post Reply Post Reply
My AHI is .02 During my sleep test they said it was 96. When I asked my Dr. why the big difference, he of course said "it must be working". Trying to sleep during the study, with all the wires and sensors was impossible. I have no air leaksand use my machine six times a week.
Post Reply Post Reply
Think of the AHI as blood sugar readings. Take the insulin, and the readings are within normal readings. You aren't cured of your diabetes, just managed. Same with sleep apnea. And, in reverse, stop taking the insulin and your blood sugar readings will rise. Same with sleep apnea.

As for the difference in pressure you feel, you've just gotten used to it. That is an important step! Congratulations!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi robertl913,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It sounds to me like you are getting used to your mask and the machine, GREAT JOB, keep up the good work.
Much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2016, 11:24 PM)robertl913 Wrote: My AHI is .02 During my sleep test they said it was 96. When I asked my Dr. why the big difference, he of course said "it must be working". Trying to sleep during the study, with all the wires and sensors was impossible. I have no air leaksand use my machine six times a week.

Then, if you want to think of it this way, you are cured on the six nights you use the machine. On the seventh night you are elevating the risk of a heart attack or stroke some time in your future as a result of the cumulative damage to your cardiovascular system.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2016, 04:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote: On the seventh night you are elevating the risk of a heart attack or stroke some time in your future as a result of the cumulative damage to your cardiovascular system.
Only God the almighty can rest the seventh day, apnea take no rest and no rest for apenics either

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-28-2016, 05:44 PM)zonk Wrote:
(05-28-2016, 04:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote: On the seventh night you are elevating the risk of a heart attack or stroke some time in your future as a result of the cumulative damage to your cardiovascular system.
Only God the almighty can rest the seventh day, apnea take no rest and no rest for apenics either

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Robert. I get the impression you're not sure if you actually need your CPAP machine now. Does that mean that you don't feel better since you started using CPAP than before? It seems like you would have been having some unpleasant symptoms with such a high AHI.

I think it could be good for you to do some things to collect some data about your sleep.

Some things that you could try:

1. Use the SleepyHead software to monitor your AHI, RERA, and leaks (flow limitations and snoring, too, if you get graphs for those in CPAP mode.)

2. Lower the 15 cm pressure on your machine gradually and see at what point a significant number of apneas begin to appear.

3. Buy a pulse oximeter (CMS-50F or CMS-50D+ recommended) and wear it while sleeping, especially on the night each week that you're sleeping without the CPAP machine and check your oxygen saturation while you're asleep.

I regularly slept without my CPAP machine during the 2nd and 3rd month after I started using it. I wore a pulse oximeter during one of those nights and found that my O2 periodically dropped to 82% just like it did during my sleep study. It stayed in the 88%-90% range for quite a lot of the time.

I recorded during a night with CPAP use, and the O2 mostly stayed at 92% or above.

I was using the CMS-50D+ pulse oximeter. Inexpensive but fairly uncomfortable. If I was going to do regular nighttime oximeter monitoring, I would choose the CMS-50F.

Some of us who use CPAP would find it difficult to even get any sleep without it because of breathing difficulties. Others might not notice that we feel much different if we skip one night (me.)

It's true that our sleep doctors and CPAP equipment suppliers have a financial interest in keeping us using the machines, but please don't let that alone make you decide that you don't need it.

The technology is available to let you collect some actual data about whether the machine is helping you, so I hope you'll base any decisions on data.

(05-27-2016, 11:24 PM)robertl913 Wrote: My AHI is .02 During my sleep test they said it was 96. When I asked my Dr. why the big difference, he of course said "it must be working". Trying to sleep during the study, with all the wires and sensors was impossible. I have no air leaksand use my machine six times a week.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone cured and not using the CPAP anymore? joeatmanila 31 6,130 06-20-2021, 03:41 AM
Last Post: Ratchick
  Has anyone been cured of obstructive sleep apnea after tonsillectomy? Russatrice 24 6,467 01-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Last Post: joeyjernigan
  cured or confused? myapneas 7 1,568 10-07-2017, 06:02 AM
Last Post: I_will_never_sleep_again
  14 Years on BiPap and Study Says I'm Cured? Checkerboard 12 2,745 09-28-2017, 07:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP cured my sleep apnea but had slight trouble breathing when awake. sharp56 1 1,414 07-30-2017, 02:34 PM
Last Post: justMongo
  Lichen Planus cured by CPAP? twoextrahours 2 2,162 04-28-2017, 10:19 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
Question Cured?? TomKriek 10 2,982 03-21-2017, 09:47 AM
Last Post: Melman

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.