Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Am I on the right track?
RE: Am I on the right track?
What is your awake o2 level sitting quietly in a chair for an hour? I wouldn't try and improve on that as an average.

First, I'd run it past your doctor, What does he say, is there some COPD, asthma etc, that impact on your lung function. You need testing and a diagnosis.

Given..
your breath rate is bumping 16. Which is still in the normal range by the way. But you have a bilevel now.
your 95% and max TV is about 580 and 760
You could target 450-500 as a median.
These can be done for just 90 minutes, to see the results and set the alarm clock if you want to.
I'd have min epap10 max epap 11 for o2 and see. min ps6 for tidal and see. Then I would raise to min ps8, if it wasn't 450, 400-450 would be my first step.
I would bring in the tidal volume chart and ignore anything where there is a leak.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the "theory" that pressure support can increase tidal volume is appealing, but in my experience, it rarely works in non-invasive PAP therapy. Even if we get a response in the tidal volume, a decrease in respiration rate often results in the same minute vent being recorded, or an increase in CA events. Pressure support seems to help with flow limitation and tidal volume, especially where expiratory resistance is a factor. Where low O2 is a problem, increases in PEEP (EPAP) can improve oxygen saturation. Given the chronic nature of your low SpO2, I still think your doctor should propose a solution, and I really think an oxygen bleed is a more reliable means of accomplishing your objectives. This forum is at its best in suggesting solutions to apnea problems, rather than desaturation or respiratory deficiencies unrelated to sleep disordered breathing. We can suggest approaches that may help, including increased PEEP and PS, but where those don't achieve the desired result, is a pretty good indicator that it is time to talk with your doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm sorry Sleeprider, I try not to directly correct you, but it's only a google to show that it does. I also have direct experience that it does. Whether he really needs to, at RR16 and TV 400 is probably the point. My advice was to see his doctor in the first instance.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/med...y-pressure
Bilevel Positive Airway Pressure Ventilation
Bilevel positive airway pressure devices (e.g., BiPAP) can provide different pressures during inspiration and expiration. Expired positive airway pressure (EPAP) helps maintain end-expiratory lung volume and airway patency, similar to CPAP. The pressure difference between EPAP and inspired positive airway pressure (IPAP) serves to increase tidal volume and hence minute ventilation
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I will be seeing two of my doctors in the next week and a half, and pretty sure at this point I will be adding another one to the mix shortly. So I think today my main objective should be to minimize hypoxemia and CA's both as much as possible so my sleep is as good as can be expected until they can figure out official diagnosis and treatment ideas.

Between both of you I think I know the ballpark of pressures I need to fine tune for the short term, again thank you. I'll post an update when I get it finalized or other news. Unfortunately I don't nap very well so I don't think that's a reliable way to gauge new settings for me. I really wish that wasn't the case.

I really had no idea just a couple of weeks ago that there was something else going on beyond OSA/UARS. However it kind of makes sense looking back and I may have had this other issue possibly since I was a teenager. So yay me for being stubborn and suffering needlessly all these years.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Any one have or had a smart watch to track your sleep information. BangkokBoy 8 964 07-17-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: rretamalt
  Device to track sleep position in OSCAR? YouTakeMyBreathAway 0 474 01-07-2023, 11:57 AM
Last Post: YouTakeMyBreathAway
  Any products out there to track body positions? CorruptAlligator 12 1,583 10-26-2021, 12:01 AM
Last Post: S. Manz
  1st week on APAP down - Am I on the right track & flow restriction? HokiEd 8 1,202 10-21-2021, 09:04 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apple Watch Series 6 - Using to track SpO2 while sleeping? Sam R Squared 2 1,403 07-29-2021, 07:03 PM
Last Post: Coffee Man
  [Treatment] Am i on the right track? nickgritz 4 1,015 07-22-2019, 05:54 AM
Last Post: nickgritz
  Am I on the right track? Not feeling it yet. benseidler 33 5,838 01-29-2017, 12:33 AM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.