Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Any recommendations for sleep doctors in San Antonio, TX?
Any recommendations for sleep doctors in San Antonio, TX?
I would like to find a San Antonio, TX doctor experienced with mixed central/obstructive apnea who will work with me using SleepyHead (or ResScan, but I prefer SleepyHead).

If posting names is not allowed, I would appreciate a private message.

Thanks much!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Any recommendations for sleep doctors in San Antonio, TX?
Hi ricknfli,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for answers to your question and good luck to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
You may need to do a Google search and then check the reviews.
Once you've found candidates, have a list of questions to ask, such as what CPAP brands do they prefer, what hours are they open, do they sell the equipment (conflict of interest), etc.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2017, 06:39 PM)ricknfli Wrote: I would like to find a San Antonio, TX doctor experienced with mixed central/obstructive apnea who will work with me using SleepyHead (or ResScan, but I prefer SleepyHead).

Thanks much!

Rick, any reason you couldn't just work with your primary physician? Lots of sleep doctors seem too involved with sleep clinic and polysomnograpy work, and never even meet with patients. Many of us use our regular doctors. They an refer you for a study if you need it, but the rest is really with the person that works on the rest of your health needs. I find that works best.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm not in San Antonio at the moment but you find one here ...
http://www.sleepeducation.org/find-a-facility
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't have a specific recommendation, but if you have central apnea issues, I would recommend a center that features neurologists. I see that the Alamon Sleep Disorder clinic has such, but others may also. Ask to speak to a nurse or PA to answer your questions - the receptionist won't have a clue.

What is the sleep study area like? My sleep clinic had those sleep number beds for your primary test, allowing you to raise head and feet if you wanted. Very comfortable and enables more patients to actually fall asleep in a strange environment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for replies Trish6hundred, Beej, Sleeprider, mosquitobait and Zonk :-)

One sleep doctor told me "This isn't like the old days when we did a study, the person got the machine and we didn't see them until the next follow up visit." I was there because the prescribed settings were not working. I think they are not set up for patients who actively review the data when the machines are not performing as expected. He quit answering my calls after 2 or 3 calls. My main problem has been central apneas.

Here is a copy of my best day at the pressures I determined by trial and error. This setting only worked for a week. Afterwards my AHI averages 7-12 with the same pressures. I also titrated my pressures from about 7/11 down to 10.4/11.0 using what I learned here. So I got about the same results, but AHI only went down to about 6.5.

[Image: XXBRKBml.jpg]

I plan to verify my BiPAP's pressures with a separate gauge, in case the machine is the problem. Then see if I can get a trial with a new sleep doc with an ASV device to see if it can drop my central apneas. I have a year's worth of data in Sleepyhead showing all of the pressures I have tried. Hopefully that will satisfy Medicare.

Meanwhile I'll go back to the 10/11, PS of zero for several days to get more data. And keep learning about central apnea.

Thanks for your support. :-)

(01-02-2017, 09:57 PM)Sleeprider Wrote:
(01-02-2017, 06:39 PM)ricknfli Wrote: I would like to find a San Antonio, TX doctor experienced with mixed central/obstructive apnea who will work with me using SleepyHead (or ResScan, but I prefer SleepyHead).

Thanks much!

Rick, any reason you couldn't just work with your primary physician? Lots of sleep doctors seem too involved with sleep clinic and polysomnograpy work, and never even meet with patients. Many of us use our regular doctors. They an refer you for a study if you need it, but the rest is really with the person that works on the rest of your health needs. I find that works best.

(01-03-2017, 01:14 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I don't have a specific recommendation, but if you have central apnea issues, I would recommend a center that features neurologists. I see that the Alamon Sleep Disorder clinic has such, but others may also. Ask to speak to a nurse or PA to answer your questions - the receptionist won't have a clue.

What is the sleep study area like? My sleep clinic had those sleep number beds for your primary test, allowing you to raise head and feet if you wanted. Very comfortable and enables more patients to actually fall asleep in a strange environment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-03-2017, 01:14 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: I don't have a specific recommendation, but if you have central apnea issues, I would recommend a center that features neurologists. I see that the Alamon Sleep Disorder clinic has such, but others may also. Ask to speak to a nurse or PA to answer your questions - the receptionist won't have a clue.

Hi Mosquitobait,

Yes, I have had a lot of luck talking to PAs and nurses. And the sleep clinic I went to did not have a bed that can raise the head. I will see if the new doctor I am going to see has a PA and a better bed setup.

Thanks for your reply.
(01-02-2017, 09:28 PM)Beej Wrote: You may need to do a Google search and then check the reviews.
Once you've found candidates, have a list of questions to ask, such as what CPAP brands do they prefer, what hours are they open, do they sell the equipment (conflict of interest), etc.

Hi Beej,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, the list of questions helps! Otherwise I forget something. Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-02-2017, 10:08 PM)zonk Wrote: I'm not in San Antonio at the moment but you find one here ...
http://www.sleepeducation.org/find-a-facility

Thanks Zonk, It worked Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 15 1,222 03-26-2024, 04:57 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  battery backup recommendations as10/as11 eok361 53 4,335 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 521 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Recommendations to optimize settings roost 8 625 03-06-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: roost
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 208 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Any change recommendations to machine? NativTxn 2 319 02-17-2024, 03:28 PM
Last Post: NativTxn

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.