Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Are Sleep Studies Worthless?
RE: Are Sleep Studies Worthless?
Last year when I got bronchitis/pneumonia, I was surprised at how unhappy my GP was with what my blood O2 levels were in her office (93-94). I remember thinking: it goes much lower than this when I sleep. It was then that I decided to start saving up for an autoset.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have found 2 brand new 0 hour resperonics s650 bipaps for 300 locally through private parties both bought them for loved ones who went into a home before using seems that happens a lot here I put them in touch with supplier 2 who purchases new & gently used machines. I myself bought an auto bipap from supplier 2 for 649 with only one hour on it came with all accessories. I used a heated humidifier I have at home with it. Supplier 2 sells the humidifier for an addnl 50. I know 700 is a lot to some folks. but it is a fantastic price for a great newer machine and not having to deal with a DME is nice my family Dr is a saint & I am blessed with good cardiologists. Supplier 2 has the older style m series for 100 less. I donated my straight cpap to a person that has copd & no money rather than sell it I believe in passing it forward. Now if I could figure out what to do with the masks I've gone through I can't use have several med size resmed fx, large fx used 1 time. I need the forehead support and am comfortable with it. Would be happy to donate the masks only used once I've no use & I know some are less fortunate than I. I can't believe how much resmed masks cost wow! The quattro works well for me as does the fisher paykel 432 being a mouth breather never tried anything nasal but for me the full face is cozy and my leaks are minimal & I can wear it the whole night, I wish all good health & happiness. I will let everyone know what they consider optimal oxy saturation while sleeping. I do know that starting & staying on apnea therapy with an auto I feel much better & have more energy while awake and my anxiety & pain levels have decreased.
Post Reply Post Reply
We can't legally buy or sell masks because they are prescription-only items. I know masks are expensive but they are designed to be used for 3 months and then tossed out. Many people get a lot more use than that out of them, myself included. Nasal pillows are supposed to have a lifetime of only two weeks. What a waste!

I have quite a stock pile of new unused masks, pillows, hoses, and water tanks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know masks are prescription but can we give them away without getting in doo doo ? Is there someplace to donate them too? I just hate to waste & wish they could help somebody in need, it pains me to have to trash them. But if thats what I have to do I guess the trash truck itll have to be. I accumulated hoses also trying to find what works best for me. The 15mm is light and works well and my machine supports it I have 2 so I can rotate & sterilize every week. My mask I wipe daily and rotate them also, I would hate to get an infection. At least we don't have to get a script for the distilled water but in their infinite wisdom it would not surprise me if that happened to milk more $$ out of us all.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-05-2012, 01:03 AM)tinytim Wrote: I know masks are prescription but can we give them away without getting in doo doo ? Is there someplace to donate them too?

Hi Tim, welcome to Apnea Board! Unfortunately according to our forum rules:

Quote:Prohibited Category 2: Solicitations offering prescription required items (such as CPAP machines, humidifiers, masks or mask parts) for sale, trade or transfer.

So you can't even offer them as a give-away on the forums, since they are a regulated, prescription-required item.

However, I'm sure there are some local AWAKE group meetings or a local DME who you could give them to so that they could go to good use for a patient who lacks funds. Or perhaps others here can list a non-commercial website that might accept mask donations.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks I'll give them to a clinic for people with COPD & then the DR there can help them then they won't go to waste. Just wanted to help peolpe less fortunate.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
Met with another Dr really like him went over sleepyhead & oximeter data with auto bipap set 4/12 AHI is consistently less than 1.0 and oximeter test show oxy level over 95 with 2l of oxy bled in. He also reviewed 2 previous sleep studies and had the same concerns I did that they took the pressures too high till central apnea started then dropped it till central stopped & called it good. He advised me leave the machine on auto with the settings I have been using and keep the oxy @2l. Also he commented that he wished all his patients would research an dbe involved with their treatment that it made his job easier and enhanced patients care. Finally a Dr that listens ad doesn't have a GOD complex, Also wrote me a script- letter that will allow me to purchase supplies & auto bipap down the road when mine wears outBig Grin All id good
Post Reply Post Reply
Good going! Glad you were blessed with a Doctor willing to listen an commend your efforts toward better health!!!
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 161 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  HELP WITH SLEEP STUDIES PLEASE Johnny Bravo 17 1,008 03-08-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: Johnny Bravo
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 206 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,361 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 807 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 1,011 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 681 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.