Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Are there cases where CPAP doesn't help?
RE: Are there cases where CPAP doesn't help?
I suspect the acid reflux may actually be aerophagia. When I get that (rarely) it always means I have my chin near my chest when I'm sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all the good advice everyone!  I downloaded the Sleepyhead software and imported the data.  Attached are summary stats for the past 3 nights when I used the full face mask.  Note:  my AHI during the sleep study was 9.4.

Marie

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for posting the data. Your OSA is not adequately treated as you are having too many related events (OA, H). Your pressure of 7 is not enough. It is possible that 7.5 or 8 is all it will take.
In the future, please show the Daily charts. Then we can see how the whole night looks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marie,
Thanks for posting, but you have left off some important information we need to see to properly advise.

Use the links in my signature line. This will help you organize your screenshot of the daily page and then use the Attachment feature to post here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Marie and welcome to Apnea Board,

You have been given great advice already, so I can only add my two cents on the most important aspect. It will take time: to get used to a CPAP, and to have it reverse the negative effects (and that in itself took time to develop into the therapy need of a CPAP).

I too had my acid reflux return when using xPAP therapy, but again the time thing, it did go away after a few weeks usage. Despite the longer period to time to develop the need for CPAP, using it will overall take a short period of time to begin the sleep deprivation reversal process.

Best to near future success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do the leaks affect the AHI?  In other words, if I can get it where I have no leaks might the pressure at 7 be correct?  Or, is the pressure the only thing that affects the AHI?  I've attached last night's with the graphs.  Had to squish the graphs a little to get them all in the screenshot.  Does this screenshot work?
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
APAP has radically decreased my AHI (30 to 1.2), but at the 6 month marker my sleep doctor decided that my daytime sleepiness and fatigue needed to be treated in additional ways. So I am trying a 8 week course of Wellbutrin XL as a daytime stimulant. She terms the problem Idiopathic Hypersomnia.

So, no, there can be many causes of the symptoms that may have brought you to the Sleep doc in the 1st place, and the APAP might not solve all of them. Good luck.
Began APAP 11/28/17
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2018, 05:23 PM)Marie Wrote: Do the leaks affect the AHI?  In other words, if I can get it where I have no leaks might the pressure at 7 be correct?  Or, is the pressure the only thing that affects the AHI?  I've attached last night's with the graphs.  Had to squish the graphs a little to get them all in the screenshot.  Does this screenshot work?
Thanks!

Hello Marie

A warm welcome to the forum.

Leaks will affect AHI if they are vast and plentiful. But I suspect that is not necessarily the issue in your case. With the Elite's fixed pressure at 7cmH2O, the PAP may be a tad too low judging from your latest chart. Well done on mastering the data display. You might want to increase your pressure to at least 9, giving it a few days to see the progress.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-27-2018, 05:23 PM)Marie Wrote: Do the leaks affect the AHI?  In other words, if I can get it where I have no leaks might the pressure at 7 be correct?  Or, is the pressure the only thing that affects the AHI?  I've attached last night's with the graphs.  Had to squish the graphs a little to get them all in the screenshot.  Does this screenshot work?
Thanks!

If you have excessive leaking (large leaking) then events won't be recorded so your AHI may be underestimated.
Your AHI requires more pressure.  The treatment for obstructive sleep apnea is pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool New Backup Machine doesn't have menu options mcse350 2 202 02-28-2024, 03:38 PM
Last Post: mcse350
  It Just Doesn't Matter cmpman1974 6 640 12-04-2023, 12:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Airsense 11 doesn't write SD data on some days only chipschap 7 674 10-07-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: chipschap
  Miserable Sleep 40+ Respiratory Rate, Doctor Doesn't Know Why SkylarBlue 14 1,253 10-02-2023, 12:58 AM
Last Post: Lucky7
  This chart doesn't look good to me - What do you get from it? jimvs 4 560 08-03-2023, 09:51 AM
Last Post: jimvs
  My sleep is crap, doesn’t seem to be the machine, what to do? emmylouwho 36 3,076 07-25-2023, 06:54 AM
Last Post: emmylouwho
  My Mother's latest chart, I try to raise max pressure but she doesn't like it: Phaleronic 9 857 06-26-2023, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.