Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Balance Issues
Balance Issues
I wake up each morning with balance issues, Occasionally room spinning vertigo,  but more often an hour or more of just holding on to the walls to navigate.  It goes away in an hour to 3 hours and I am fine again until the next morning.  I feel it is my BiPap use that is causing the problem.  My AHI runs in the 5 to 6 neighborhood. Pressure setting of 13/5.  Any thoughts or recommendations?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Balance Issues
I am not sure if or how this is related to using a BiPAP, but I had similar effects because I was not using one. In August of 2014 when my multiple health issues barged into the forefront immediately, I had a near blacking out episode as I reached the front door of my apartment on the way to work. I first had thoughts of a bad heart, but after months of testing, and changing directions on what to look for, I had a PSG. It was revealed an extremely high AHI of 70+. Sorry I cannot remember my exact number, but I was placed on a CPAP immediately where it was set to 18 on a script of 20. I could not use nor breathe out of the machine and failed compliance.

Doing so much better thanks to my ASV.

Dave
lots-o-coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It could be the pressure is affecting your inner ear. That can cause balance problems. Might want to talk to Doctor about it.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I had severe blood pressure issues prior to starting apap therapy, I would wake up with the room spinning or not being able to stand up without the world going blank. I never got dizzy after I started on apap. If I had your problems and I checked my blood pressure in those moments I'd think it's because finally getting treatment you're on the lower end of the blood pressure chart. Give it some time

Recommendations would be to go below AHI 1.0
Post Reply Post Reply
How long have you been using xPap, and how do you feel on it?

I had balance issues before starting xPap. Long story. Ultimately sleep doctor + diagnosing neurologist both expect it to clear up with successful treatment of apnea. If you have a history, or a family history of migraines, you may want to mention it to your doctor and see what he says. (this is like a migraine, but without the headache) It can present with visual disturbances, vertigo, loss of balance, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with the "pressure on inner ear" scenario. Maybe try a different pressure and see if it lets up?

I'm too noob to recommend a pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
I developed a case of Benign Positional Vertigo not long after starting CPAP. No idea if CPAP had anything to do with it, but I did suspect it.  My doc told me to google and try to do "Epley's Maneuver" and to make another appt if I couldn't resolve it on my own.  Well I did not master the knack of Epleys and I had a business trip coming up and fearing for my ears I bought a set of "Earplanes" (recommend those btw!) just using the Earplanes not only kept my ears clear for the flight, but they also moved the "ear rocks" that cause BPV.  These days I keep my ears clear by using homemade Xclear spray and making sure I follow the recommendation Here for how to squirt it.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
BPPV is not apparently related to middle ear pressure - it's caused by "stones" moving about in the semi-circular canals of the inner ear. The various manoeuvres are designed to move the stones out of the canals. Having had it once, I can attest it is quite disabling. In fact there was a pro golfer got a case a few years ago and had to forfeit a major tournament.

http://www.health.vic.gov.au/edfactsheet...o-bppv.pdf

There can be many other causes of vertigo, some quite serious. There may be nothing to worry about, but I would see my GP if it persists more than a few days.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2017, 05:23 PM)laneleonard Wrote: I wake up each morning with balance issues, Occasionally room spinning vertigo,  but more often an hour or more of just holding on to the walls to navigate.  It goes away in an hour to 3 hours and I am fine again until the next morning.  I feel it is my BiPap use that is causing the problem.  My AHI runs in the 5 to 6 neighborhood. Pressure setting of 13/5.  Any thoughts or recommendations?

I had Benign Positional Vertigo not long after starting CPAP as well. It turned out my severe hay fever was the main factor in the problem. I still have short episodes of vertigo occasionally, although I have learned to recognize when it is about to start and can usually prevent it from occurring. Your symptoms are the exact same symptoms I experience before a full blown vertigo event occurs. A modified Semont Maneuver (I double the times listed) works better for me than the Epley's Maneuver. My episodes tend to involve both ears. I use a steroid nasal spray, in the same manner Daria Vader does with her nasal spray, as well as Cingular to control my hay fever.

I believe your CPAP use is probably not what is causing the vertigo, although it may be a contributing factor. There are several things that can cause vertigo. It may be worth working with your doctor to find the cause(s) and work out a treatment plan. Believe me, you don't want to let this evolve into a severe event. My first event was so severe it took an ambulance ride to the emergency room and  intravenous drugs to stop the vertigo and the resulting debilitating nausea. I couldn't make my legs work to stand up, much less walk, and my blood pressure went through the roof due to the severe  vomiting caused by the nausea.  It took several weeks and more prescription drugs to resolve the issue and fully recover.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank You to all who replied!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow Limit and frequent waking issues Premier1991 3 182 04-15-2024, 08:07 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sinus issues with CPAP Luka07 14 521 04-12-2024, 01:58 PM
Last Post: Luka07
  [Treatment] AHI under control but flow limitation issues guzzle 2 230 04-03-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: guzzle
  Air Mini issues Bous 0 135 03-27-2024, 08:14 AM
Last Post: Bous
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 134 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 142 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Airsense 10 Issues cgries2448 0 195 03-09-2024, 03:31 PM
Last Post: cgries2448

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.