Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Better sleep with leaks
Better sleep with leaks
I'm a new user and have been unable to get an answer to the following question -- if anybody has had the same experience or can shed some light, I'd really appreciate it.

Before Cpap I was sleeping in approx 1-2 hour intervals. I'm now on my 4th mask in 90 days and have found that I sleep best when my leak rate is high. I'm told therapy is ineffective with too much leakage but my AHI is always under 1 per hour vs pre cpap 33 per hour whether I leak or not. While I realize the number may be skewed if the therapy isn't working correctly, I can't get past the fact that I sleep 5+ hours without interruption . How can it not be working if I'm sleeping so long?

When my leak rate is "good" it's like a roller coaster ride -- I sleep 4 hours max and experience noise and high pressure disturbances. I tried liners for the 1st time last night and had a great nights sleep but my leaks were the highest ever

Any ideas? Thanks!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Better sleep with leaks
Hi PTTP,

I have had a similar experience on some nights. My leak rate is usually low. Leaks tend to bother me, especially when it puffs past me eyes. When it puffs past my eyes while sleeping, I always wake up and have to adjust the mask. I have noticed that my AHI can be low when the leak rate is in the "medium" range. This could be due to the machine being unable to measure small variations in the "flow rate" that it would normally be considered an apnea. The main thing is your sleep quality. If you are sleeping well, that is what counts. But, sometimes it is hard for us to actually determine our sleep quality. It is the deep sleep and the proper sleep cycle that is important and the thing that is disturbed by sleep apnea.

I am just an apnea patient. These are only my observations. I am sure someone that has real knowledgeable will respond as well.

Good to see you here.

Jeff
Sleep is worth the effort.
Post Reply Post Reply
PS. You should consider installing Sleepyhead so you can get a better idea about what is actually happening while you are sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2016, 09:32 AM)foss Wrote: PS. You should consider installing Sleepyhead so you can get a better idea about what is actually happening while you are sleeping.

Thanks for your input, Jeff - I really do have to consider it. I've been a little overwhelmed so far with all that's involved. I see you have an Amara View. It was the best mask I tried but leaks were nonstop -- any suggestions?
Post Reply Post Reply
There was a learning curve to the Amara View. Leaks were quite a problem when I first tried it. But I liked the small size, it didn't go up my face so far. It felt less encumbering.

I found through experimentation the right amount of strap pressure. The top "over the head" strap needs to be tight enough that it holds it up against the bottom of the nose but not too tight. The upper and lower "behind the head" straps need to have just enough tension to hold the mask in place and balanced, but not too tight. If the straps are too tight, it flattens the seals causing them to leak. I found that the mask seals best when it is at working pressure. The seals inflate making a good seal.

Also, I am a pretty big guy, but the small mask fits best. When I tried the medium mask, it would never seal.

The Amara View is now my goto mask.

Jeff
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PTTP,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that works well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am currently using a Philips Wisp mask and sometimes I have very low leaks and sometimes I have a higher rate of leaks. But usually not over the acceptable level for Resmed or Sleepyhead. My AHI is averaging .5 to .7 with this mask and it is really comfy for me with the hose over the top of my head. I have been getting a good nights sleep and with the low AHI figure I am happy, despite the leaks. Chasing no leaks seems to be like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Does it really exist?
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2016, 07:47 PM)JamesW Wrote: I am currently using a Philips Wisp mask and sometimes I have very low leaks and sometimes I have a higher rate of leaks. But usually not over the acceptable level for Resmed or Sleepyhead. My AHI is averaging .5 to .7 with this mask and it is really comfy for me with the hose over the top of my head. I have been getting a good nights sleep and with the low AHI figure I am happy, despite the leaks. Chasing no leaks seems to be like the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Does it really exist?

I agree! My concern is whether my therapy is working or not as I was told AHI #s aren't reliable with too much leakage. However, if I'm sleeping all night which would never happen without cpap, can I assume I am getting proper therapy despite high leak rate? It's so complicated
(02-27-2016, 06:48 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi PTTP,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and finding a mask that works well.

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
Look at your data with Sleepyhead. Your pressures are wide open. You may do better restricting it closer to your 95% level. My pressure was originally set at 8-12.5. I raised the bottom pressure. That was ok, but didn't improve my sleep. I recently lowered my top pressure to 11 and I'm sleeping for 3-5 hours now. It could be the higher pressure is getting to you. Surprisingly, my AHI is STILL under .5 most of the time despite the fact that I was previously topping out at 12.5.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2016, 08:41 PM)Mosquitobait Wrote: Look at your data with Sleepyhead. Your pressures are wide open. You may do better restricting it closer to your 95% level. My pressure was originally set at 8-12.5. I raised the bottom pressure. That was ok, but didn't improve my sleep. I recently lowered my top pressure to 11 and I'm sleeping for 3-5 hours now. It could be the higher pressure is getting to you. Surprisingly, my AHI is STILL under .5 most of the time despite the fact that I was previously topping out at 12.5.

Thank you for your suggestion - I will definitely look into that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 284 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 140 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 161 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 165 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 108 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 207 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.