Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] But I'm a MOUTH BREATHER!
RE: But I'm a MOUTH BREATHER!
Some of the hardest trials are getting a mask or pillows that work well. There is no cookie cutter solution. And as far as hot and sweaty full face masks, it's not like wearing a dust mask or the 3M masks with the filter elements. Full face masks have a vent and a constant supply of fresh air to flush out CO2. I would bet you will be pleasantly surprised.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
One of the problems you have breathing with a pillow mask is your minimum pressure is too low. Most people need a minimum pressure of 6cm or they feel air starved. Try increasing your minimum and see if that helps.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely increase your min pressure to 6, and if that doesn't work a little higher.

I too am a mouth breather.  For many people breathing with a CPAP Nasal or Pillow mask "forces" nasal breathing.  I did have a lot of trouble in the beginning with air cycling in my nose, then after a while out my mouth.  The only way I could stop it was to turn off my CPAP then restart it.

I found by holding my tongue on the roof of my mouth I eventually became a nasal breather, especially at night.

Seriously, a Min pressure of 4 is way too low for you.  Some consider that setting to be a pediatric setting.  4 - 20 is a range often prescribed (supposed to be) initially to see how the CPAP responds.  For the same purpose we suggest 6 - 20 as initial setting lacking any other information.

Eventually you will need to set the min pressure very close to your therapeutic pressure because the DreamStation is a little slow to respond.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. For a mask, you can try the full face mask from Respironics called Amara View or the ResMed F20 AirFit (silicone cushion) or F20 AirTouch ( memory foam). There are others similar that work very well; I only stated these as I have them. I use the F20 AirFit almost always. I used to mouth breathe while sleeping, but that's become a bit less lately. I still nose and mouth breathe while awake due to COPD causing restricted breathing.

Also in agreement with others, setting of 4 will starve most for air. I used to think 4-8 was too high, but I have to deal with variable pressure now that I thought I would never tolerate. But when it's the choice of adapt or die, I chose adapting.

Sleep-well

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The first question one needs to ask is 'Why' are you a mouth breather. cant breathe through the nose? get surgery. nose breathing is vital, it cools down your brain and nose tissue produces nitric oxide (NO) which makes your lungs get 20-30% more air with each breath.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm beginning to think there are two types of people whose mouths fall open when they sleep; one is a true "mouth breather", and the other has more to do with relaxation of the muscles when sleep kicks in.

I don't think I am a true mouth breather.  I don't regularly breathe through my mouth through the day.  My mouth does open once I fall asleep, though.  There's no chin strap or cervical collar, or sticking my tongue to the roof of my mouth that has successfully stopped that while using a nasal pillow mask.

I am one of those people who dare to tape their mouths shut using 3M Nexcare paper tape. It's what works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Um, I am a newbie, but I have to ask. Is it possible that structural nasal anomalies could be the problem with feeling like you are not getting enough air? I had a septoplasty and turbinate reduction in August and for the first time in DECADES, I now feel like I can breathe through my nose and actually get enough air to survive. It's wonderful! Before being diagnosed in November and starting on xPAP in January, for those few months, I no longer had to try to sleep while pulling on my face to try to open my nasal passages to allow air in! It might be something to check into.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. There are some awesome people on here who can help you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi tuctboh,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I hope you find a mask that works well for you, it's the hardest part of this therapy.
Good luck on your CPAP journey.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I would concur with what many here are saying, that you should try bumping up your minimum from 4 to 6 for starters, or even 8 or 9 eventually. Gradually, though, over the course of a few weeks. Give yourself several days on one setting to see how it goes.

Also, perhaps a technique linked to in my signature might help. It takes time, so be patient with yourself.

Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply
"Oh, and nasal pillow masks tend to open, and keep open your sinuses. I've been using them for over 18 years, and they'll always done that for me."

Anecdotal evidence. That would depend on the cause, deviated septums and other structural issues can easily defeat nasal breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this mouth breathing on flow r. Experiencing aerophagia with pressure above 6cmH20 Jonkier 1 113 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Narcil
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 10 1,384 04-23-2024, 05:30 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Acid problems and pressure build up in mouth Hurdsy 3 167 04-21-2024, 08:23 PM
Last Post: cps22
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 12 942 04-19-2024, 06:40 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Dry mouth and throat. VegasGMC 3 140 04-15-2024, 08:37 PM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 7 677 03-29-2024, 12:18 PM
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 4 232 03-29-2024, 09:58 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.