Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] But I'm a MOUTH BREATHER!
But I'm a MOUTH BREATHER!
Hi,

Long time listener, first time caller. Oh wait, sorry.

Had my machine (Phillips Dreamstation Auto-CPAP with Nasal attachment (L) ) for a day now. I personally think I was railroaded into the diagnosis but thats another story for another day. (Yes, I understand, 18 episodes in a (nite? hour) when I used to be 5 after surgery 30+ years ago.... But theres reasons for that that he didn't even want to consider)

So I set it up, then got the call from the Phillips "coach" who zipped through everything (I'm a tech, I already explored every option).  So at the end, I said "So I was 'practicing' sleeping, and the air was going up my nose and out my mouth. Seemed like it was only making matters worse". She mentioned that it was ok, since I close my mouth when I actually sleep it wouldn't be an issue. SAY WHAT??

She said "Um, you should have never been given a machine if you're a mouth breather". So, I contacted the doctor. His response was "take a steroid OTC nasal spray, then 10 minutes after take an OTC saline spray (and basically suck it up) for a week". If you still can't deal, you'll have to consider a "hybrid" mask. (Like this isn't intrusive enough now?)

I was looking at the machine and it looks like it doesn't have a "delay" mode (I guess I could put it on an X-Mas tree timer and have it in auto) , the ramp is useless because its set to 4 and it starts the ramp at 4..... So I'm thinking for now I'm sorta screwed.

Comments, and there aren't any silly ones.

Tnx, Tuc
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: But I'm a MOUTH BREATHER!
My wife was a mouth breather, but her full face mask wouldn't seal For YEARS. I finally got sick of it and gave her an ultimatum (she wouldn't even consider replacing it as she said: "I'm a mouth breather") I bought her a Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask, and she hasn't opened her mouth since starting with it. Her snoring went to practically nothing, and her AHI went from around 5, to below 1 consistently.

Oh, and nasal pillow masks tend to open, and keep open your sinuses. I've been using them for over 18 years, and they'll always done that for me.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome! Well you have the machine so you might as well use it right. For the mouth breathing you can buy a chin strap or a soft cervical collar to help keep your jaw closed. Also I recommend downloading sleepyhead software to track your data. You should have a SD card with the dreamstation. It's inside the left side door of the machine. You use that to transfer your data from the machine to your computer. There's a link below below for the free sleepyhead software. Also you might want to review the link for Mask primer. It should help with the mask problems. Good Luck.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
First of all, I'm a mouth breather, I need a machine, for sure. Secondly, steroid nasal sprays do not fix mouth breathing in most circumstances. Thirdly, you can get masks all day long on the interwebs man. All types and all sorts. Ask your DME or find a DME and sign up with a good one, they probably have demo masks that you can rent or borrow. Get a mask that suits you. Take charge of your healthcare because you are ultimately responsible for it.

Welcome to Apnea Board!

Jesse
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 06:23 PM)MikeBear Wrote: My wife was a mouth breather, but her full face mask wouldn't seal For YEARS. I finally got sick of it and gave her an ultimatum (she wouldn't even consider replacing it as she said: "I'm a mouth breather") I bought her a Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask, and she hasn't opened her mouth since starting with it. Her snoring went to practically nothing, and her AHI went from around 5, to below 1 consistently.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply. I know your probably not a doctor, and even less play one on TV  Bigwink   but is there something about that thats better for a mouth breather than the Respironics DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask? I'm unsure how one would have an advantage over the other. "Trust me" is a legit response.

I also forgot to mention, I suffocate trying to breathe by my nose during everyday life, and tried for about 45 seconds with the DreamWear Nasal Mask at 4 before I felt like I was suffocating. 

Tnx, Tuc
Post Reply Post Reply
Tell me again why you're not using a full face mask?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 06:25 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Welcome! Well you have the machine so you might as well use it right. For the mouth breathing you can buy a chin strap or a soft cervical collar to help keep your jaw closed. Also I recommend downloading sleepyhead software to track your data. You should have a SD card with the dreamstation. It's inside the left side door of the machine. You use that to transfer your data from the machine to your computer. There's a link below below for the free sleepyhead software. Also you might want to review the link for Mask primer. It should help with the mask problems. Good Luck.

Hi, and thank you. 

I guess the fact I'm a mouth breather is that its not just "because its there". I feel like with my mouth closed there is no way I'm getting enough air. I just tried it while I typed this short bit and had to open my mouth. 

I'll consider the software, and thanks again for the pointer for the mask primer. Will read more later. I noticed the tongue method on someone elses post and I again had to stop and recover after less than a minute.

I just think that I'll be forced with the hot sweaty uncomfortable cumbersome hybrid/full face mask.  

Tuc
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 06:31 PM)JesseLee Wrote: First of all, I'm a mouth breather, I need a machine, for sure. Secondly, steroid nasal sprays do not fix mouth breathing in most circumstances. Thirdly, you can get masks all day long on the interwebs man. All types and all sorts. Ask your DME or find a DME and sign up with a good one, they probably have demo masks that you can rent or borrow. Get a mask that suits you. Take charge of your healthcare because you are ultimately responsible for it.

Welcome to Apnea Board!

Jesse

Hi Jesse,

Thank you, thank you so much. 

Yea, I don't think it'll help since even with a clear nose like I have now, I can't begin to get "satisfying" breaths. I had a deviated septum (Oh stop snickering, I've got a crooked nose even after the surgery so it wasn't for that) and they actually were supposed to drill out the passages but I was bleeding like a stuck pig already and the doctor couldn't see anymore. So I'm just seriously doubtful I'll ever get a full tank of air just by the nose, maybe even when sleeping.

I ended up buying from an online store a "AG Industries Full Face CPAP Mask with Headgear" before I realized they had some with 30 day returns so I also got a "Respironics ComfortGel Blue Full Face Mask & Headgear" (30 day return on that).  I'm not willing to spend the $$ unless I know I'm continuing this. (Back to railroaded diagnosis). And thanks for the "Get off your backside, stop whining, and git'r'done".

Tuc
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 06:38 PM)tuctboh Wrote:
(03-14-2018, 06:23 PM)MikeBear Wrote: My wife was a mouth breather, but her full face mask wouldn't seal For YEARS. I finally got sick of it and gave her an ultimatum (she wouldn't even consider replacing it as she said: "I'm a mouth breather") I bought her a Resmed Airfit P10 nasal pillow mask, and she hasn't opened her mouth since starting with it. Her snoring went to practically nothing, and her AHI went from around 5, to below 1 consistently.

Hi,

Thanks so much for the reply. I know your probably not a doctor, and even less play one on TV  Bigwink   but is there something about that thats better for a mouth breather than the Respironics DreamWear Nasal CPAP Mask? I'm unsure how one would have an advantage over the other. "Trust me" is a legit response.

I also forgot to mention, I suffocate trying to breathe by my nose during everyday life, and tried for about 45 seconds with the DreamWear Nasal Mask at 4 before I felt like I was suffocating. 

Tnx, Tuc

I like the Dreamwear Gel Pillow version of that mask as a backup mask. The Airfit P10 mask however is in a whole other class by itself. It's completely quiet because of diffused venting, has a minimal strap, and with the proper pillow works extremely well. However, it's impossible to tell how well any particular mask will work for any particular person before they try it. Many people are using and really like the P10 mask though.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-14-2018, 06:38 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Tell me again why you're not using a full face mask?

Doctor honestly seemed like he was calling me a wuss for not being able to deal with the nasal mask. He hadn't noted anywhere I was a mouth breather (G*D I loved that take home POS test).  I have to tough it out for at least 4 hours a night for the next week before he'll talk to me about a hybrid. (Took over a month for the place they used to get me the machine (Ok, admittedly *2* whole days was Fedex's fault) , I can just IMAGINE how long the replacement mask will be).

I've bought 2 low end ones on my own, I'll have to "suck it up" for a few nights until it arrives.

Tnx, Tuc
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 372 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 315 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,077 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 804 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
  Dry mouth even using mouth tape Wcsleep 8 1,165 03-08-2024, 09:37 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.