Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] CO2 and Central Apneas
RE: CO2 and Central Apneas
NOTE: dscbk last post was in the year 2012.

Anyone thinking of trying what he was suggesting needs to go back and read posts 1 and 8 made
by SuperSleeper, Apnea Board Administrater.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Old post. Bears repeating.

(03-08-2012, 11:54 AM)archangle Wrote: This does need to be said before someone else tries it and kills himself.

Blocking off any holes on your CPAP mask is a really bad idea. Death could result.

Yes, you could conceivably do it right and not die. Maybe even improve your therapy. If you miscalculate or do it wrong, you could die.

Oxygen deprivation is particulary dangerous because you can become unconscious without any warning signs. Healthy, fully awake adults can lose consciousness and die without ever noticing anything is wrong. Google "confined space training" to get an idea about how dangerous this is in industrial environments.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the point is being missed here. TheraVent which is the FDA approved cousin of Provent (approved for Apnea) slows the breathing down - it's high likely that it doesn't kill people.

Anyway I am having great success using it with my APAP. AHI is usually 0 to maybe 0.3 with a pressure of 6. My prescribed pressure as of last time was 12. Even at 12 I had a hard time getting below an AHI of 5. It's simple and it works for me...
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-10-2015, 03:55 PM)stcrim Wrote: I think the point is being missed here. TheraVent which is the FDA approved cousin of Provent (approved for Apnea) slows the breathing down - it's high likely that it doesn't kill people.

Anyway I am having great success using it with my APAP. AHI is usually 0 to maybe 0.3 with a pressure of 6. My prescribed pressure as of last time was 12. Even at 12 I had a hard time getting below an AHI of 5. It's simple and it works for me...

Theravent has nothing to do with CO2 retention. You only get that if you block the exhaust vent or anti-asphyxia port.

Theravent is also not intended to slow breathing down. It's intended to increase the EPAP (Exhaled Positive Airway Pressure) and keep your airway open.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
With just a little research you'll fine that slower breathing equals increased Co2. TheraVent increases you exhale by a full second or more because of EPAP. In other words your exhale is slower, under greater pressure and last longer.

In many of their research papers TheraVent/ProVent mention the value of the increase in Co2.

Works for me - and in reality that's all that matters...
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 602 Yesterday, 04:21 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,525 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,406 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 865 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 273 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 307 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.