Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] CPAP Habit forming?
CPAP Habit forming?
I have found a down side to CPAP specially my ASV machine.

It is habit forming.

I have found that I am spoiled by it.

I have found that if I try to sleep without it I can’t.

I have found that I have grown lazy with it and if I try to sleep without it I feel like I can’t get my breath.

I feel like I am straining to draw a good breath.

I find that I miss how almost effortless it is to intake with the machine pushing the air down my wind pipe.

I only feel this when I try to sleep at night without it.

Anyone else find this true?

Rich
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Habit forming?
I don't know that it is habit forming, but I know my wife certainly notices the difference if she takes a nap without hers. For her (she's been on CPAP therapy longer than I have), it isn't so much that she cannot sleep without it, but rather that she has a very poor sleep without.

As in all things, YMMV Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello, my name is MAPnea and I am addicted to CPAP therapy!

I mean, why even try to sleep without my CPAP machine? Turn on the CPAP, adjust the pillows (behind my head and in my nose), start breathing, count backwards from ten ... and I'm asleep. For me, CPAP therapy is not only addictive, it's the best "sleep aid" I've ever had.

Congratulations racprops on finding such sweet success with your CPAP machine!
Post Reply Post Reply
Many things are habit forming or addictive. For example breathing, eating, drinking water, sleeping. Why not get addicted to CPAP so you can breathe and sleep better.
Post Reply Post Reply
And the problem is? Lol, I love my CPAP so much so she even has a name.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2013, 03:18 PM)bwexler Wrote: Many things are habit forming or addictive. For example breathing, eating, drinking water, sleeping. Why not get addicted to CPAP so you can breathe and sleep better.

I challenge you to try and break any of those "habits" Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2013, 03:46 PM)Tez62 Wrote: And the problem is? Lol, I love my CPAP so much so she even has a name.

lol!! thanks for the laugh! only thing is, you didn't share your cpap's name!!

glad you sleep well. I suppose when I sleep, I am sleeping well. I would love to sleep straight through for 6 or 8 hours. :Laugh-a-lot
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi Rich,If it is a "habbit," it sure is a good one, )Ha-Ha.)
Look at it this way, this "habbit" is helping you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-06-2013, 11:36 AM)racprops Wrote: Anyone else find this true?

Not me. I have never tried to sleep without it.

To me that would be like trying to drive without a car.

Plus, why would I want to put my body through the ordeal of having to wake itself up every few minutes to breathe. That's just plain stoopid.

It'll shorten my life span by putting extra stress on my cardiovascular system, plus it'll reverse the trust I've built with my brain. You see, we've made this deal. I'll wear the mask and run the CPAP machine if it'll stop waking me up during the night. I'm keeping my end of that bargain.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-07-2013, 08:13 AM)me50 Wrote:
(09-06-2013, 03:46 PM)Tez62 Wrote: And the problem is? Lol, I love my CPAP so much so she even has a name.

lol!! thanks for the laugh! only thing is, you didn't share your cpap's name!!

glad you sleep well. I suppose when I sleep, I am sleeping well. I would love to sleep straight through for 6 or 8 hours. :Laugh-a-lot

I named her 'Silvie' what else would you call a Resmed S9, I tell my wife I'm going to bed with Silvie and she gets jealous, lol
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finally fixed my habit of yanking the mask off but still not feeling great yet mw1655 4 960 11-13-2019, 02:17 PM
Last Post: WillSleep
Thumbsdown BAD HABIT Kate 12 4,853 02-20-2014, 11:39 PM
Last Post: Kate

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.