Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] CPAP VS Dental Appliance
CPAP VS Dental Appliance
Has anyone done any research or had any experiences with dental appliances as an alternative to obstructive sleep apnea treatment? After 2 years of being on a basic CPAP machine (with no data/monitoring) I came upon this forum and am learning a lot. I am ready to upgrade to an APAP machine, but before that expensive step wanted to try one more alternative to the CPAP machine altogether. I was wondering if there are any that are FDA approved dental devices out there, who makes them and if anyone has had any positive/negative experiences with them such as comfortability, impact on sleep, etc. Also, do you need another sleep test while wearing it to see if it actually works and how much. Any suggestions, advice or other information about the devices would be appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP VS Dental Appliance
I don't know too much about it except that it probably won't do much for somebody with severe sleep apnea. I think it is designed to help those with mild or moderate sleep apnea.

Hopefully there are others that have experience with this appliance.
Not your ordinary Moe Schmoe
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum, I don't know the answer to your question, other than what was said above which is what I have heard. Someone else will likely be around soon to answer your question though.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've never used the Dental Appliances personally, but from what I have seen, they are not cheap and they have nowhere close to the success rate that a xPAP machine has. Naturally, if you want to know if a dental appliance works for you you would have to buy it (they are custom made to the individual) and use it during another sleep study. Otherwise you have no idea if it is working or not or how well it is working. Dental appliances don't come with a data-capable model! Smile
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Dental appliance for sleep apnea???? mrpat 4 127 03-23-2024, 08:54 AM
Last Post: mrpat
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,745 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
Question CPAP "Mouth Only" Appliance? GrantT 4 471 11-16-2023, 11:23 PM
Last Post: yankees123
  CPAP + Oral Appliance = Leaks DoktorSpengler 0 322 08-16-2023, 01:52 PM
Last Post: DoktorSpengler
  Oral Dental Appliance RandomPilar 47 11,756 06-21-2023, 01:59 AM
Last Post: ZacMirror
  Dental Night Guard and Sleep Apnea RER9372 3 794 06-17-2023, 01:18 PM
Last Post: TexasDon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.