Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Can some explain what just happened - Please
Can some explain what just happened - Please
I just changed from nasal pillows the Airfit F30 FFM because the chin strap or cervical collar was not stopping "lip" leaks and sever dry mouth. Both were waking me up. 
My AHI was consistently under 1 and leaks were acceptable but I was still waking up every hour. 

I purchased both the small and medium cushion as the sizing guage was unclear and I wanted to try both anyway. After a couple days of trial and error I settled on the medium cushion. 

Today I took my usual 1 hour nap when I woke I thought I was in heaven. Best nap ever. 

Then I checked the numbers. WHAT JUST HAPPENED!

CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Can some explain what just happened - Please
Your leak rate is not bad at all.  To see the problem areas you can put in a dotted line on the graph that will show when the leak is large enough to cause trouble.  Take your mouse and put it on the left part of the graph near the word "leak rate".  Press the right mouse button and go down to dotted line.  Next select "leak rate upper threshold".  Now you should see the dotted line, anything above is a problem anything below is ok - not ideal but not a problem...  Your graph is not bad it just looks bad.  You should be able to see at least .50 on the scale.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Also, you need to check that you have changed the type of mask you are using on the machine.  I can't see if you have changed it and that could change the leak graph.  Your obstructions are high and I will let others suggest how to fix that.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, the mask type was changed.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Were you actually asleep?  1 hour 8 minutes isn't long.  What does your respiration rate look like?  When you do sleep what is your median respiration rate?  Is it possible that this session was all sleep wake junk?

Yeah it looks terrible, but if you weren't actually asleep, it sort of doesn't count as actual apnea, does it?  Can you show OSCAR with respiration rate under your flow rate?

Not saying there isn't a problem, maybe your setting isn't what you expected.  I know that I have made plenty of mistakes setting things on my machine.  The next morning I look at some of the settings and say to myself, I thought I changed that...
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been taking a 1 hour nap every day for the last few years. With my pillows mask I never have the first event. Sometimes I sleep and sometimes not. The only thing that changed was mask. And of course the mask setting on the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
You clearly have been able to manage your treatment pretty effectively.  Your median AHI is pretty amazing.  

Changing from nasal pillows to a FFM is a relatively big change.  Heck, me changing one FFM to another has proven difficult.  For the F30, when you wear it, does it by any chance push your jaw rearward?  Pushing your jaw rearward might partially close off your breathing passages.  Or maybe you might need a soft collar to support your jaw?  Just trying to think of ideas that might help.
Post Reply Post Reply
That’s what I was looking for. Yes, the lower strap could pull my jaw back to some degree. I can’t imagine that would make that much difference.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've seen some pictures in the back of the throat and for some people the airway opening isn't that deep.  Closing it off by an extra millimeter (0.040") could matter.  (Some of the pics looked like a slit.)  Not saying that's what's happening, but it is a difference between nasal and FFM's.  Some people can also benefit from a soft collar since it supports the jaw a little better.  Maybe lighten up very slightly on the straps to slightly reduce jaw pressure and soft collar might work for you?
Post Reply Post Reply
You hit your maximum pressure.   Perhaps you could raise it a bit.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please explain airsense term on clinical settings rebean 2 513 08-11-2023, 09:29 AM
Last Post: rebean
  What happened? highlandwarlord 10 857 06-29-2023, 10:24 PM
Last Post: highlandwarlord
  What happened to me here? CA's back to back livsmonster 0 357 04-24-2023, 07:48 PM
Last Post: livsmonster
  [Treatment] New mask - can anyone explain some of these shifting numbers? CruzVevo 6 632 01-15-2023, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  ResMed EPR…someone explain? spetzal 19 1,703 01-01-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: Lynandra
  What Happened at 3 a.m.? dhamments 9 927 08-29-2022, 05:07 PM
Last Post: dhamments
  first night taped. what happened? rogerncormier74 5 764 04-13-2022, 07:13 AM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.