Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: 5i
CPAP Pressure: 9
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: ResMed Chinstrap

Sex: Male
RE: Central Apnea and Altitude
I like the oxygen concentrator suggestion. Maybe talk to your doctor about it?
08-22-2014 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(08-22-2014 10:03 PM)NickDanger Wrote:  I like the oxygen concentrator suggestion. Maybe talk to your doctor about it?

I think O2 Concentrators tend to be very heavy, noisy, use a lot of electricity, and the surrounding air from which they are taking O2 starts to smell like it is full of ozone or something unheathy. So the machine may need to be located in an adjacent room which has open window to outside air, opened wide even in winter, and a 25 ft or 50 ft tube needed to transport the extracted O2 to the user in the next room.

So pay attention to the noise rating of the O2 Concentrator if considering a purchase.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014 01:43 AM by vsheline.)
08-23-2014 01:39 AM
Webbie73 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed 9 auto
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Res med air fit p10
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 8-14
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments:

Sex: Female
I live at sea level but do travel 3-4 times a year to 7,000ft above sea level. My normal AHI of 1-2 goes up to 27 even though the DME insists my CPAP automatically adjusts for altitude. NO IT DOESN'T. At the time I was using a Resmed elite 8

I talked with my doctor who told me to adjust my pressure. Even with the pressure adjusted my AHI does not go under 5.

Not sure if this helps you.
08-24-2014 07:16 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
justMongo Offline

Monitors

Machine: ResMed VPAP Auto (S9)
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 18 IPAPmax - 11 EPAPmin, PS=5
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments: μολὼν λαβέ

(08-23-2014 01:39 AM)vsheline Wrote:  I think O2 Concentrators tend to be very heavy, noisy, use a lot of electricity, and the surrounding air from which they are taking O2 starts to smell like it is full of ozone or something unheathy. So the machine may need to be located in an adjacent room which has open window to outside air, opened wide even in winter, and a 25 ft or 50 ft tube needed to transport the extracted O2 to the user in the next room.

So pay attention to the noise rating of the O2 Concentrator if considering a purchase.
I have a concentrator; and I find the above points not an issue.

It has a small air compressor that pumps up a tank to 15 psi. The tank contains a zeolite that absorbs Nitrogen under pressure. The system then switches to a second tank for compression while delivering high purity oxygen from the first tank. You'll hear the small compressor and the switchover from tank to tank. I've used mine for 5 years and only changed the intake filter. It does not produce ozone.

Mine weighs 31 pounds, uses 350 Watts, and its sound level is 45 dBA.

Concentrators may not work so well at altitude. Since the diatomic oxygen molecule has a molecular weight of 32 while nitrogen is 28, the available oxygen at altitude is less. The machine can deliver 5 LPM at sea level; but may be maxed out at a lower delivery rate. Specs on mine are 2286 meters (7000 feet) max altitude.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
08-24-2014 08:30 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ASV/ Central apena - Time for a second opinion? Feisty Folder 6 301 11-21-2016 04:14 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Central Sleep Apnea? wayne99 8 698 11-20-2016 06:39 AM
Last Post: wayne99
Question Any Way To Reduce Central Sleep Apnea without PAP? DeepThought 7 612 09-07-2016 04:47 PM
Last Post: DeepThought
  Low respiration rate triggers central apnea clusters Grandpapa-G 6 506 09-06-2016 10:57 PM
Last Post: PaytonA
  Clear/Central Apneas, BiPAP, CO2 washout confusion. NorthernGuy 3 460 09-02-2016 09:29 AM
Last Post: PaytonA
  High Altitude experience with Dreamstation APAP. NorthernGuy 6 509 08-31-2016 08:52 PM
Last Post: NorthernGuy
  Central Apneas & ASV Users jerrydaw 11 1,102 08-21-2016 04:15 PM
Last Post: ruach