Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Central Apneas Occurring with CPAP use
Central Apneas Occurring with CPAP use
A new user sent me this question via PM and asked me to post it here:

RT/APAPuser Wrote:I am a 14yr user of Auto-CPAP and an RT specializing in sleep dme. Requesting input on symptoms of blurred vision, "heavy head" feeling in morning, diminished hearing.... have hypothyroid but on Armour and levels are good. Concerned that nerve damage could have occurred. Have lost 50 lbs in past 4 years (APAP pressure down accordingly with AHI < 1). Too many symptoms occurring over past year. Wonder if CPAP use is at this point causing more harm? Going to stop for awhile (but will miss the humidified/filtered air!) Used to be on 10-12cmH20 but gradually reduced to 4-7cmH20. Any thoughts?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Central Apneas Occurring with CPAP use
If your AHI is less than 1 on a pressure range of 4-7 I would see what it's like at a fixed pressure of 4.

If the CPAP machine were harming you you'd see an elevated CA index that would raise your AHI, so no, I do not believe the CPAP machine is doing you any harm.

Are there periods of time where your AHI per hour is higher than normal? I don't know if ResScan can be used to answer this question, but I do know that SleepyHead can.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All I can say is that I wouldn't stop using cpap therapy because your AHI is low but it is most likely low b/c you use the cpap machine. The repercussions of not using cpap is not something I want to chance (including death).
Post Reply Post Reply
We'll I hope u go to the doc as cancer or diabetes come to mind.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm thinking glaucoma or increased eye pressures. All CPAP users need to get their ocular pressures regularly. Signs of glaucoma can be blurry vision. The heavy head feeling might be from the circadian flow of fluids up to the head and neck during the night. My pressures are up in my eyes and my hands are swollen in the morning since being on CPAP. The benefits far outweigh these symptoms. The CPAP is keep ing me breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 05:18 PM)Sleepster Wrote: A new user sent me this question via PM and asked me to post it here:

RT/APAPuser Wrote:I am a 14yr user of Auto-CPAP and an RT specializing in sleep dme. Requesting input on symptoms of blurred vision, "heavy head" feeling in morning, diminished hearing.... have hypothyroid but on Armour and levels are good. Concerned that nerve damage could have occurred. Have lost 50 lbs in past 4 years (APAP pressure down accordingly with AHI < 1). Too many symptoms occurring over past year. Wonder if CPAP use is at this point causing more harm? Going to stop for awhile (but will miss the humidified/filtered air!) Used to be on 10-12cmH20 but gradually reduced to 4-7cmH20. Any thoughts?

Thanks for input! I changed settings to 4-5cmH20 and slept well - AHI was .4 over 9 hrs. No heavy head upon awakening. Want to add that weight loss was achieved through continued healthier diet and exercise over a 4 yr period. Opthalmologist saw significant changes in distance vision.He didn't mention glaucoma but will check with him! Previous 4 yrs virtually no changes in vision. Also experiencing foggy memory. Will have sugar levels checked although have never had problems. Just thought it may be neurological in nature. Perhaps in need of specific mineral/vitamin supplements. ? I love my CPAP and am passionate about helping others with CPAP. Does anyone use "manual" mode (for humidity) on S9 ResMed Auto?
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 03:19 PM)RT/APAPuser Wrote: Does anyone use "manual" mode (for humidity) on S9 ResMed Auto?

I do, at a setting of '5.0' last night. I do not think there is an automatic humidity control with my S9+H5i configuration (I do not have a ClimateLine hose).

My vendor originally suggested a setting of no more than 1.5 (what he uses), but that was much too dry for me with my full-face mask / mouth breather. He uses nasal pillows, so perhaps 1.5 is a better humidifier settings for that style of mask.

Anyhow, I'm new to CPAP so I'm still experimenting with the humidifier settings. I suspect the best humidifier setting is tightly coupled to the humidity level of the room -- if you have an automatic setting, then that sounds like it would take a lot of the guess-work out of the equation.

I'm pondering purchasing a regular free-standing humidifier to control the humidity of the bedroom --which would leave the bedroom at a constant humidity level, so I won't have to guess at the best H5i setting for the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RT/APAPuser,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It's great to hear that you had such good results with the new pressure change on your CPAP.
CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-26-2014, 03:54 PM)c0reDump Wrote:
(01-26-2014, 03:19 PM)RT/APAPuser Wrote: Does anyone use "manual" mode (for humidity) on S9 ResMed Auto?

I do, at a setting of '5.0' last night. I do not think there is an automatic humidity control with my S9+H5i configuration (I do not have a ClimateLine hose).

My vendor originally suggested a setting of no more than 1.5 (what he uses), but that was much too dry for me with my full-face mask / mouth breather. He uses nasal pillows, so perhaps 1.5 is a better humidifier settings for that style of mask.

Anyhow, I'm new to CPAP so I'm still experimenting with the humidifier settings. I suspect the best humidifier setting is tightly coupled to the humidity level of the room -- if you have an automatic setting, then that sounds like it would take a lot of the guess-work out of the equation.

I'm pondering purchasing a regular free-standing humidifier to control the humidity of the bedroom --which would leave the bedroom at a constant humidity level, so I won't have to guess at the best H5i setting for the night.

I would definitely get a climateline tubing! One great benefit of your device! It can be placed in "manual" mode, then you can set your tube temperature to sustain and control temperature which will provide much improved "direct" humidity to your airway.The room humidifier will not benefit you when sleeping with your CPAP. I highly recommend tube setting of 86 and your humidity at least 4. Give it a try and I'm certain you'll benefit!
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2014, 05:16 PM)RT/APAPuser Wrote: I would definitely get a climateline tubing! One great benefit of your device! It can be placed in "manual" mode, then you can set your tube temperature to sustain and control temperature which will provide much improved "direct" humidity to your airway.The room humidifier will not benefit you when sleeping with your CPAP. I highly recommend tube setting of 86 and your humidity at least 4. Give it a try and I'm certain you'll benefit!

Hi RT, perhaps when it's time to purchase a new hose I'll get a ClimateLine, but 86 degrees sounds like it would be hot and muggy.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 27 595 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central while on ASV Boodmaster 11 2,521 03-26-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: Boodmaster
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,403 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Fixing (CPAP-induced?) central apneas Franko39 17 860 03-21-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: Franko39
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 269 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Treatment] Having several Unclassified Apneas.... meatheadmd 7 306 03-19-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.