Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Brand new to this
RE: Brand new to this
Low tidal volumes aren't necessarily anything to be worried about on their own. What's your height and weight again?
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm 6ft, 225lbs. Fairly muscular but a bit of body fat aswell if that makes a difference
Post Reply Post Reply
From a quick Google search I've found that tidal volume should be 6-8ml/kg.
So for me thats over 600-800 and most nights it's been less than 450 at this current setting. I don't think it went higher than 550ish on lower pressures either.
My insp/exp breathing is pretty even again now too where i had higher exp than insp with lower pressures. Does that mean the tidal volume is more effected by my expiratory rate?
On another not that I don't think I've mentioned, my nose breathing isn't always great. It always feels partially blocked and when doing a covid test I can only get the swab in my right nostril and not my left.

This all might be irrelevant but I'd like to rule everything out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Tidal volume is a fairly broad range, and more closely correlated to height than weight. The reason for this is because your lungs are situated within your thoracic cavity, bounded entirely by your bone structure. No amount of muscle or fat you add or take away changes this. I'm a couple/few inches taller than you and low-mid 400s was where I trended before my nasal surgery, now I track high 400s up to 500.

Minute Vent is more correlated to weight and metabolism, because it represents how much air per minute is exchanged within your lungs. I am 205 lbs and often would only see 6-7 L/min, now I'm seeing 7+ for the most part. Modest gains, but on my good nights I'm seeing fewer spontaneous arousals that I had always suspected were related to underventilation.

As to why your pressure setting may be affecting these stats, that has me scratching my head. If you know you have nasal obstructions it's worth getting scoped. It might not fix everything, but improving nasal breathing is likely to make PAP more tolerable.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I’m brand new and have a question Boba1241 6 440 12-22-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: eok361
  Brand new Bi-PAP machine whistles on inhale. S.L. Ping Beauty 4 612 02-28-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Equipment] Newbie with prescription and brand new machine from relative Bruce61 1 486 02-18-2023, 01:45 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Brand new. Less than a week any observations on this OSCAR pic? billy2606 3 521 01-07-2023, 02:50 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  How to know if Resmed Airsense 11 is brand new? LordHelmet 8 1,529 01-03-2023, 11:52 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  Any help grateful ! 39m brand new to CPAP RedArt 1 455 01-02-2023, 08:18 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Brand new to this, not sure how to optimize treatment tinimay 7 799 12-09-2022, 01:12 PM
Last Post: mesenteria

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.