Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Pressure] More tired after pressure increase
More tired after pressure increase

Hello all,

I've been using PAP therapy for about a month now. I was originally using a machine I got from a family member while I waited for the VA to get the results from my sleep study. I initially started with a Resmed Airsense 10 autoset that was set for 5-15 using nasal pillows. The results were amazing. I wasn't tired all day anymore and didn't nod off at work or home any longer. After about three weeks I got my machine from the VA. It was the same machine but set to CPAP at 8 instead of APAP. After about a week of use, I felt better than before therapy but was still very tired. I asked to change the settings back to APAP and they did. However, they set the pressures to 8-15. After this change I felt a little better but am still tired and by the end of the work day i'll find myself starting to nod off. 

Can anyone help me with my settings and should I just go back to 5-15?

I also noticed looking at the OSCAR graphs that I have a lot more Large Leaks (LL) than when it was on 5-15. Attached are images of the night prior to the change at 5-15 and then the two most recent nights at 8-15.

I would also appreciate some help in understanding how to read these graphs. I have read through the forums and think I understand what each means but I am not sure how to analyze that data to make effective changes. When looking at the 5-15 data, it appears that a set pressure of 8-15 would be better as I go into OH and then pressure goes up to about 8.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: More tired after pressure increase
Welcome

You can change the settings yourself.  I suggest that you change the beginning pressure to 6.  I think you could probably drop ramp altogether, as pressure set at 4 is not enough air for most adults.  If the idea seems too much for you, leave it for now.  You can drop it later.

See how you do with beginning pressure set at 6, then post a chart and tell us how you are feeling.  You can probably go up to 7 then, if the 6 is working and you feel good with it.  7 is usually comfortable for most adults.

Good luck!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
        So attached are two nights of data. Feel much better. The first is at 5-15 and the second is 6-15. I'm still not sure why it seems like i'm having more leaks though. Could it be mouth leaks? and is there anything I can do to improve these results?
Post Reply Post Reply
I would like to suggest a better pressure setup. Use EPR 3 Full time along with Min pressure 7 cmH2O. EPR 3 (cmH2O) offers a reduction by 3 on exhale.

Leaks, especially those brief peaks may be mouth leaks, signified by the rounded leak trace. Flat leak patterns will be a mask leak.

You'll probably want to turn off the Ramp at some point or at least have it closer to your min pressure, note with ResMed if it's programmed it automatically starts every CPAP start.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the reply! I tried turning ramp off last night but seemed like it wanted to make my mouth start filling with air. Also, i've read some risks here about EPR causing Central Apnea? Is this something I should be concerned about turning EPR on? Also, how does it help prevent the leaks? Is it just because there's less pressure in the mask I guess? I was also wondering how the leaks can cause tiredness as there doesn't seem to be any events during the period of leaks. Is it just because it bothers you during the night? I don't recall being woken up or anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you still using the pillows or did they switch you to something else? I ask because both pillows and nasal mask keep my mouth closed, not fill it with air. Are you forcing it open?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR can induce a small amount of central apnea in those that are new to CPAP, but it shouldn't prevent you from trying it.

Leaks will have to be addressed separately. It looks like a mixture of mouth and mask leaks.

If leaks are high enough it can hinder accurate event reporting.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am currently using the pillows. They gave a nasal mask to try but the first night it leaked really badly and I went back to the pillows. I may try it again though as I feel I have to have the pillows super tight to prevent leaks. And I'll give the EPR a try and see how that works and report back!
Post Reply Post Reply
If the mask needs to be real tight, it's not a good fit. How to correct depends on the mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 165 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 249 04-16-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: 40plus
Surprised [CPAP] Sudden Increase in AHI amfar33 2 133 04-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 524 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Do you think I should increase my pressure based on this OSCAR data? mallowsweet 24 1,611 03-29-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Do I need to increase my max pressure? Daveman 7 264 03-29-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: Daveman
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 315 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.