Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Central Sleep Apnea sufferer at high elevation only. Altitude Tent?
Central Sleep Apnea sufferer at high elevation only. Altitude Tent?
Hey -- so long story short, I'm a 40 male that has always lived at sea level in North America. Moved to Denver, CO about 18 months ago and after about 6 months really noticed continuous problems sleeping, waking up with headaches, always tired, etc. Sure enough, got an o2ring and SP02s were wild, 200+ drops a night, average around 89% and drops as low as 76%. About 3 of 7 hours spent below 90%. Not great! 

After a bit of a long road of getting into sleep studies, waiting on equipment, I'm happy to report I'm "surviving" on an AirSense 11 now and seeing between 1-6 events per hour but generally below 1 event an hour if I observe all the procedures before sleeping (wash the nasal system with saline, sleep on my right side only propped up with pillows, etc etc). It works but it's not a life I want to live forever, especially since I know it can be solved if I move back to sea level which nobody in the family wants to do. We love it here. Doctor recently said this is working, this is all I've got and good luck - see you next year, and she's correct medically (I believe?)

Here's an idea that I'm tempted to experiment with, and wondering if anybody else has attempted the same already. There are companies out there that make sleep tents for altitude climatizing, simulating higher elevations for athletes or those that want to attempt climbing Everest. I've contacted two of them and they say they can also simulate lower elevations, ie. they can make the tent climate sea level. They offer rentals and I'm really tempted to try it out and see.

I can't post links yet so here are some manufacturers I've found:
- Hypoxico
- Higherpeak
- Boxaltitude
- Altitudecontrol

The last one is really interesting -- because if the tent actually works, I could do the whole bedroom instead (at a hefty price of $20K to start) which could mean I might be able to get back to living my best life and off of a CPAP. Worth it. These guys typically target older people that can't tolerate the elevation in places like Aspen, so surely there's some truth to it. Is there a possible non-scientifically-proven-not-doctor-certified-or-covered-by-insurance cure for CSA sufferers of elevation like me?

PS: attached two of my o2ring reports, one from Denver CO and the other in NYC. Can you tell which is which :-D

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Central Sleep Apnea sufferer at high elevation only. Altitude Tent?
i wonder if you could get a tent that could be configured to give you "below" sea level pressure, perhaps equivalent to the dead sea pressure? ---- as an experiment to see if this pressure difference would be helpful.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleep Apnea with Atrial Fibrillation RadarRalfs 12 262 8 hours ago
Last Post: mesenteria
  Excessive dream and sleep apnea. ketanerp 6 147 Yesterday, 06:49 PM
Last Post: Brazen
  Gogirl - Sleep Apnea Thread Gogirl 50 1,476 10-05-2022, 10:45 PM
  [Health] High CSR? oneillkf 14 229 10-05-2022, 01:02 PM
Last Post: oneillkf
  [split] Struggling with treatment - did I have central sleep apnea all along? ittiandro 2 122 09-30-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I test myself for sleep apnea? I want to experiment with different approaches HoloPed 3 169 09-28-2022, 08:33 PM
Question What causes high tidal/ventilation variance? YouTakeMyBreathAway 1 125 09-28-2022, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.