Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

New to forum
New to forum

Greetings;
   I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea over five years ago after I began living in a communal environment. I was educated about the dangers of sleep apnea by going to the Long Beach California Veterans Administration Hospital Sleep Clinic. After over twenty years of sleeping alone, I then wondered if I had accumulated any brain damage due to oxygen starvation.

The doctor prescribed a Resmed machine with a nose pillow type of mask. I used this machine religiously for about three years until it was broken in a move. After I changed VA hospitals I was prescribed a new machine. It is a  Philips Respironics Dream Station machine. I figure it is of the latest technology as it uses a wireless sytem to transmit sleep data wirelessly to the VA sleep clinic.  After two months of use a VA Sleep CLinic doctor called me on my cell phone and gave me infomration that traditionally you get in an in house doctor appointment.

I am quite satisfied with my new CPAP machine. However I have yet to use it with any water for the humidifier. How important is it to use water in the CPAP machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to forum
the humidifier is basically for comfort. If your sinuses, throat, etc. are feeling good after treatment then its up to you. You might experiment and use it, no harm, no foul. Personally, I have never been able to breath as well as I do now due to the moisture that is interjected to my sinuses by my machine. Good Luck!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I will experiment after I get some distilled water into it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have a heated hose? Without a heated hose the condensation in the mask is unbearable for me. Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
You could also wrap the hose withan towel or get a hose snuggy i think is what it is called. These items including the heated hose is to stop rainout . All this depends on you climate id the area you live in and also hoe you have the settings on the humidifier on the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just make sure that the humidifier is placed lower than your head, that way any condensation will flow back to the tank, you can also adjust the level of humidity as well.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi matthewota,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I use my humidifier about three months out of the year, in the winter when the air is very dry. I like it better without it most of the year.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello! I see your post regarding VA is now rather old, however it is the only one that popped up when I did a search for VA on this website.

I'm new to the CPAP Community and to this website. My primary care doc, after looking at my overnight, in home, oxymetry study, said I clearly suffer from obstructive sleep apnea and need mechanical assistance. I then had an overnight study in a local clinic. Results of that have not yet been received but I'm trying to be prepared.

I use the VA for my hearing aid needs and have found them to be responsive and very helpful. I have good insurance, along with Medicare, and was thinking I'd probably just go to a local provider for the necessary CPAP equipment once I get official clearance and a prescription. However, in reviewing the many posts on this website it appears that maintaining an effective piece of CPAP equipment and the necessary peripherals can get rather cumbersome... and probably expensive. For that reason I think I may ask my primary care doc to request a consult with the VA CPAP clinic.

I realize each VA hospital is likely quite different. So far I've found my Asheville, NC VA hospital to be pretty wonderful. I assume their CPAP program would be as well. I'm reaching out to you to see how your experience with VA has been with regards to your CPAP needs, both the basic machine and all peripherals. Your opinions will be valued.

Many thanks,
Fry
Post Reply Post Reply
I live in Georgia near Augusta (where the Masters is held). I used the humidifier during the heating months. During the summer (Hot ans Humid) I don't need the added heat so I put water in the humidifier and turn the heat off, works for me.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Flow LIMIT data missing tried to search forum Plmnb 16 268 03-10-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  QQ: Looong time BiPAP user, new to ResMed/This forum haemaker 1 187 02-26-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to the Forum Dial222 8 676 12-21-2023, 08:19 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Importing Oximetry Data and A Big Thanks To The Forum S. Manz 22 2,583 09-12-2023, 05:43 AM
Last Post: GordK
  [Admin Note] Forum Rules addition - Artificial Intelligence (AI) SuperSleeper 5 1,740 06-13-2023, 04:28 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Thank to the forum search and all those you went before. CPAP machine. quiescence at last 1 498 04-13-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper
Arrow [Admin Note] MASTER DIRECTORY of Apnea Board forum resources SuperSleeper 0 7,702 11-04-2022, 12:58 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.