Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions?
Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions?
Hi all, first off, big fan of this forum; it's helped me to dial in my CPAP usage after several months of struggling with adherence, mask fit problems, etc.

I've finally landed on a mask + paraphernalia that allows me to be broadly leak-free and address most of my Obstructive Apnea events. However, I'm still sitting at an AHI of around ~2-3 with primarily Clear Airway events, and I continue to subjectively feel tired in the mornings, have big bags under my eyes, etc. I understand that central apnea is harder to treat, but I was wondering if there were any techniques that are associated with better CA outcomes. Also, how likely are the CA outcomes to be misclassified OA or other events? Any advice given my chart would be much appreciated.

Context on me, in case it helps: I'm 5'10 140 pound 35 year old male, untreated AHI of ~15, using Resmed Airsense 11 set to [7-11] with no EPR, with the F30i mask, a semi-soft cervical collar, and a wedge pillow. I also have refractory dyspepsia + GERD despite medication, as well as a deviated septum, both of which influence my sleep quality. I've attached screenshots of my Oscar readout.

Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions?
welcome to the forum

Those in the zoomed view are IMHO misclassified as they are likely you holding your breath while tossing in response to the preceding arousal. The problem is not the CA but the arousal.

You start the zoomed view with normal breathing then take several deep breaths which indicate arousal (these look like they could be CO2 induced but without lowering your CO2 levels to below your apneic threshold which would have resulted in a central apnea)then a period of restricted shallower breathing followed by a recovery breath that is typical of an obstructive event and labeled as a hypopnea, this series would call a RERA. The recovery tapers off to extended arousal followed by what is likely a breath-holding while tossing during the recovery and is (mis)labeled as a CA event. The recovery from that appears to be a CO2-induced recovery that transforms into another arousal which is likely followed by some breath-holding again labeled as a CA. The breathing following both of these CA events does show the signs of being at least CO2-influenced breathing though much less so with the second event.

The bottom line is that you appear to be close to your apneic threshold. Other CA events that you have may well be purely complex or Treatment-Emergent Central Apnea, though I cannot tell without seeing the zoomed flow rate for them. You need to watch your central events (CA) and not be afraid of them. This type of CA event mostly will/may go away over time but I would want a low rate of them, about what you have here to promote your body to adapt to them. I'm not sure if they will for you since you say you have been using CPAP for several months.

The key on your device is to maintain a low EPR for now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for reviewing my data, much appreciated. If I understand you correctly, the CO2 levels in my blood might be getting somewhat high (presumably because I'm not getting enough oxygen in sleep), and thus I am waking up, tossing and turning (pausing my breathing), and then gasping for air? 

I believe I have EPR turned off in my CPAP, so presumably my central events aren't being caused by EPR.

Some follow-up questions:
-What might be causing me to reach the point of arousal / be close to my apneic threshold?
-What makes you say that these events will likely diminish or go away over time? (Assuming EPR isn't playing a role)

In case it's helpful to have some more zoomed in context, I've attached screenshots for 3 other CAs.

Thanks!! Really appreciate you digging into this with me.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
The only legitimate central is in the center chart, it is ideopathic and not CO2 influenced.

The use of any CPAP, even with no EPR or pressure variation, pure simple CPAP can cause complex or treatment Emergent Central Apnea. That is evidenced by the waxing and waning, almost done wave appearance in the Flow Rate.
It is characterized by low CO2 levels in the blood with a central apnea occuring if you go below your apneic threshold. The use of a CPAP alone can improve your breathing to the point where this can occur. You are just (in)lucky to be one.
Post Reply Post Reply
Okay, cool, thank you for the analysis. Look forward to talking through this topic in more depth with my doctor.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 80 4 hours ago
Last Post: liuzilong
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 65 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 145 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Central Detection Driving Me Nuts!! Reznik 65 11,479 03-13-2024, 07:52 AM
Last Post: ChristianH
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 9 224 03-12-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Clear airway Bullabill 3 192 03-12-2024, 02:40 AM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.