Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Clownbell PAP Journey
RE: Treating Hyopnea
No one gave you any suggestions so I will give you mine, Hoping you’re still awake. 

Min 7
EPR 3
Max 9.8 where you have it now. 

That will give you exhale of 4. We need to see how that works for ca & H.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Stacey. I too was thinking 7 which is 1 higher than the current minimum of 6. I will try it and see what happens.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's fine to try the changes you're considering, but I'm not seeing "lots" of hypopneas. Take a look at the Overview page in Oscar and see what the range is for your hypopnea index.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, Dormeo. Fair point. I was looking at the number of events, not so much at the index. 

Consider:
4/11    12 events
4/8      18 events
3/28    15 events
3/26    31 events
3.21    31 events 

I understand that you did not have the March info to look at. And I don't mean to pick a fight. Just want you to know what I was thinking about. Also I note a fairly large number of Central/ClearAirway events on some nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure, no problem. You might keep an eye on the index, which is important, and the way the events are spaced throughout the night, which can also be important. For example, if you had only 8Hs but that was during a one-hour nap, that'd be noteworthy, and if you had 18 Hs during the night but they were almost all within the same half-hour period, that would suggest you had a positional issue, not a settings issue.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stacey - I should clarify about the 9.8 IPAP.

At inception, Kaiser set the machine to 5-20. Kaiser reviewed the data from my first 3 weeks of CPAP usage beginning 1/14/21. They took the 95% readings for each of 21 days, added them up, and determined that the average 95% number was 9.8.  So they set IPAP at 9.8 and left EPAP at 5.

I do understand that if the machine were set to higher IPAP, the machine would only go as high as needed.

Thank you.

Craig
Post Reply Post Reply
Based on what I'm seeing, you need to be at a minimum 9.0, maximum 14.0 and EPR 3. This will take out a lot of pressure variation and should resolve most hypopnea and flow limitation. I'd take you to a minimum 10.0 pressure with EPR 3, but don't know what your comfort level is. My bilevel starts at a pressure of 13/9 so a suggestion of 10/7 doesn't seem very extreme, but it's up to you.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am bumping this thread with another related question. 

It is my understanding that the pressure differential between inhale and exhale helps relieve hypopnea, but am unclear on which direction is better for this particular purpose -- a large differential, or a small differential?

Is the underlying understanding wrong?

Thanks to all for your guidance.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, the pressure difference, EPR in your case, is to treat flow limitation. Treating hypopnea requires an increase in your EPAP pressure.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hypopnea are the baby brother to Apnea.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,359 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 932 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,277 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 622 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,206 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread clearairways 76 4,401 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: clearairways
  A few questions whilst I navigate my journey (masks/flow rate) Rebdr 11 803 10-30-2023, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.