Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Coconut Oil Remedy
Coconut Oil Remedy
My name is Louis and I'll be 61 this September. I've been suffering from severe sleep apnea for over ten years and it had progressively gotten worse. The BIPAP machine that the doctor prescribed didn’t do anything but bother me. After using it for about a month and I didn't see a significant improvement verses the inconvenience of being tubed up I stopped using it about four years ago. But the sleep apnea continued getting worse, the sleepiness was terrible and I was getting very concerned for my overall health. Then my wife tells me that she heard that coconut oil has been helping people with Alzheimer’s. Since my father his brothers and my grandmother died from it, I started taking coconut oil as a possible preventative. Now, I can’t stop with the praises with regards to the coconut oil and how much better I feel since I started taking it about three weeks ago. In the morning I would always be dosing off at work in front of the computer, or in meetings it was hell fighting with my eyes wanting to close. Many days I just would go to the bathroom and sit and take a nap. In the afternoon after lunch the same; while driving I would dose off sometimes just catching myself before a disaster. I’m more alert now and the daily brain fog has finally lifted. What a difference… it’s a miracle that a jar of extra virgin coconut oil that I bought at Walmart has remedied years of suffering. In addition, I quit taking Glucophage and my blood glucose levels are under control; and this oil is an appetite suppressant too, I now push the dinner plate away after eating and don't need seconds. Plus it’s supposed to be an Alzheimer’s preventer too so it's a win, win, win. I have been taking a tablespoon before lunch, one before dinner, and one before bedtime. I am very interested if the coconut oil will also help other people the same as it has helped me.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Coconut Oil Remedy
It is good that coconut oil is helping you with some of your issues. Organic coconut oil is suggested. However, I have not read anything about coconut oil curing apnea. So, my question to you is, have you hooked up your machine since you have use coconut oil to see what stats you get from your sleep? I would be interested to know what the data shows if you have a data capable machine instead of a brick.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's interesting. I can't see it curing a real case of apnea. I can see it helping with blood sugar swings, since it converts more steadily.

I make coconut oil cubes. Fill up a silicone mold that holds about a dozen tbsp. size cubes and stick it in the fridge (not the freezer - since it solidifies below 75 degrees). Pop them out of the mold and keep in a covered bowl. People who don't like the straight oil often prefer the cube method.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 10:04 AM)me50 Wrote: It is good that coconut oil is helping you with some of your issues. Organic coconut oil is suggested. However, I have not read anything about coconut oil curing apnea. So, my question to you is, have you hooked up your machine since you have use coconut oil to see what stats you get from your sleep? I would be interested to know what the data shows if you have a data capable machine instead of a brick.

You are correct, I hadn't heard of coconut oil helping with sleep apnea. I stumbled in to it as I mentioned in the original post. I don't use a mask or a machine as I explained. Look, the only reason I got on the forum was to try to help others with sleep apnea. Coconut oil definitely works for me, the difference after the first day I took it was astonishing. If it could work for someone else is all I want to know, and I'm sure those people would love to be the benefactor's too. I have nothing to gain with this other than the satisfaction that others are being helped with this dreaded sleep apnea.
LOUIS
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 10:28 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: That's interesting. I can't see it curing a real case of apnea. I can see it helping with blood sugar swings, since it converts more steadily.

I make coconut oil cubes. Fill up a silicone mold that holds about a dozen tbsp. size cubes and stick it in the fridge (not the freezer - since it solidifies below 75 degrees). Pop them out of the mold and keep in a covered bowl. People who don't like the straight oil often prefer the cube method.

Believe me I have been cured of my sleep apnea. The doctors said that is what I had. If you read my original post that explains the symptoms... and there's more too I just was condensing the problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is also a 6 page thread from January 2013 from someone who brought up coconut oil. I only got through the first two pages so far.

Figured I would go ahead and link it here:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...leep-apnea

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm starting to think sleep/wake transitional CA's could be affected by coconut oil...

Here is a blurb from the Bulletproof Diet guy:
Filling up with clean fats before bedtime gives you a steady stream of energy that prevents hunger and blood sugar swings. Grass-fed butter, animal fat, and coconut oil are all good choices.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know if it would work for everybody, but it's great that you found something that works for you. I'm glad you're not dozing off in the car anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 11:28 AM)worn_out_in_lebanon Wrote: I'm starting to think sleep/wake transitional CA's could be affected by coconut oil...

Here is a blurb from the Bulletproof Diet guy:
Filling up with clean fats before bedtime gives you a steady stream of energy that prevents hunger and blood sugar swings. Grass-fed butter, animal fat, and coconut oil are all good choices.

Yes, that's the question that needs to be answered scientifically, what exactly is happening that is the reason why I don't feel the symptoms anymore. Thank you for the link form Jan. 2013, that contained plenty of supporting info.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 11:36 AM)truetopath Wrote: I don't know if it would work for everybody, but it's great that you found something that works for you. I'm glad you're not dozing off in the car anymore.

Thank you! I just drove a four mile stretch after lunch on the Florida Turnpike. In the past the same stretch of highway after lunch would result in my eyes wanting to close so bad that it was terrifying. One day I even veered into the next lane and a car honked it's horn. Today I had a somewhat heavy lunch and I was as awake as can be. Coconut Oil... AMAZING.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Remedy for red marks from mask? kderevan 15 2,174 12-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dream wear mask vs remedy p10 mask Novello1234 4 2,019 06-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Coconut Oil for Nasal Dryness? rx77310 10 7,611 08-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: me50
  Update from the coconut oil guy Louis R. 13 5,699 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  Remedy for mouth dropping open? Jim Bronson 16 6,944 01-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Last Post: Timotheus
  Coconut oil in mask wipes Itsadryheat 14 7,974 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Last Post: JWR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.