Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Coconut Oil Remedy
RE: Coconut Oil Remedy
(04-16-2015, 12:00 PM)Louis R. Wrote: Yes, that's the question that needs to be answered scientifically, what exactly is happening that is the reason why I don't feel the symptoms anymore.

If that's what you want have a sleep study done and compare the results to the results of your previous sleep study, the one where they diagnosed you with sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP machine to treat your condition. That will provide scientific evidence of the severity of your sleep apnea. If you don't have sleep apnea anymore then that will explain why you feel better. If you still have sleep apnea then you won't have the answer you're looking for, but at least you'll know that even though you feel better you're still doing some serious damage to your mind and body by not treating the sleep apnea with a CPAP machine.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep apnea is not a thing of a particular organ such as diabetes. It is a muscle, tissue, and fat thing located in the throat area. The muscles of the throat are voluntary, meaning we control them. So when we sleep, they relax just as much as our arms and legs. As those muscles relax, the tissues around them and the muscles themselves can start to block the airway. They can vibrate in the breeze which is the snore sound. They can even block the airway completely which is an apnea event. During an apnea event, our brain starts telling us to wake up so that we tense up those muscles which opens the airway again. We are also gasping for air. Our chest is moving, arms and legs are twitching. And finally we wake up just enough that the airway opens. Most of the time we aren't even aware we woke up because it is more of an "arousal" than actually fully coming away. The further into sleep we are, the more relaxed we are so the more likely we are to have an event. But on the other side of the coin, the more events we have, the less likely we are to enter into full REM sleep because we keep having these arousals. Without REM sleep, we're not fully functioning during the day. Other systems in our body start to suffer including our heart. But that's a lecture for another time.

Unless coconut oil slicks down your throat to the point the airway cannot stick together and therefore not block all the way, you are not in any way cured.

Unless coconut oil keeps your throat muscles tense and doesn't allow them to rest at night and therefore not collapse and create an apnea event, you are not in any way cured.

You may think you are. You definitely hope you are. You are grasping at any straw you can to keep from using a CPAP machine at night so you are seeing symptoms and relief where there aren't any. Your wife said you researched it through WebMD. That's nice. But not very valid. It used to be but they've become so commercial oriented, if they said the sun rose in the east, I'd wonder who paid them to say it. See if the National Institute of Health (NIH) has anything on it. Or PubMed has any articles. Heck, check the references on a Wikipedia article as they would be more valid.

Like Sleepster said, if you truly believe you been cured, then get a sleep study done. If you had one that diagnosed you, then they can compare the two. Without that sleep study, your claim is providing false hope to people who don't need it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hello,
Well I have two fold interest in this thread. My mother has Alzheimers and I have diagnosed sleep apnea.

I hold a degree in Chemistry and have access to numerous medical, chemical, and pharmacological research journals as part of my profession. None of these address the use of Coconut oil in any preliminary nor clinical trials for the use in the treatment of sleep apnea. Although, there are several "personal" accounts, to the best of my knowledge, none of these have been independently verified.

As for the use of VCO or CO for the treatment of Alzheimers, this also has not been verified by any reliable scientific studies. Herein I ask one to trust me not only as a Chemist, but also a son that will get to watch his mother die of a horrible, irreversible neurological disease. If there were any hope of V/CO being a potential treatment my mother's physicians would be prescribing this course as she is working with several of the foremost physicians in this area of study.

Furthermore:
Quote:The Alzheimer's Association says about claims regarding coconut oil that:
alz.org/alzheimers_disease_alternative_treatments.asp
Some people with Alzheimer’s and their caregivers have turned to coconut oil as a less expensive, over-the-counter source of caprylic acid. A few people have reported that coconut oil helped the person with Alzheimer’s, but there’s never been any clinical testing of coconut oil for Alzheimer’s, and there’s no scientific evidence that it helps.
Alzheimer's Association is a not-for-profit 501©(3) organization.
Of course, I'm not saying that there is absolutely no value in V/CO in halting or treating either medical condition or that someone that is truly dedicated couldn't make a breakthrough where no-one in the scientific fields of study have thus-far made any advances; however, such a discovery by laity is very remote and there is no verifiable support outside of some non-scientific anecdotal stories which often fail even the most cursory scientific review with the same being very inadequate in quality for what is required to establish and document V/CO as an effective treatment for either medical condition.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-16-2015, 05:20 PM)me50 Wrote: I have a vitamin d deficiency most of the year

There is a 5 part video series on youtube by neurologist (Dr. Stasha Gominak) on disorders she finds linked to Vitamin D deficiency. (I would post the link, but I am not sure we are allowed. I just looked it up and it is by Tolenio's channel or the entire speech by Excelsior 10000. Hope you find it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 12:27 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Sleep apnea is not a thing of a particular organ such as diabetes. It is a muscle, tissue, and fat thing located in the throat area. The muscles of the throat are voluntary, meaning we control them. So when we sleep, they relax just as much as our arms and legs. As those muscles relax, the tissues around them and the muscles themselves can start to block the airway. They can vibrate in the breeze which is the snore sound. They can even block the airway completely which is an apnea event. During an apnea event, our brain starts telling us to wake up so that we tense up those muscles which opens the airway again. We are also gasping for air. Our chest is moving, arms and legs are twitching. And finally we wake up just enough that the airway opens. Most of the time we aren't even aware we woke up because it is more of an "arousal" than actually fully coming away. The further into sleep we are, the more relaxed we are so the more likely we are to have an event. But on the other side of the coin, the more events we have, the less likely we are to enter into full REM sleep because we keep having these arousals. Without REM sleep, we're not fully functioning during the day. Other systems in our body start to suffer including our heart. But that's a lecture for another time.

Unless coconut oil slicks down your throat to the point the airway cannot stick together and therefore not block all the way, you are not in any way cured.

Unless coconut oil keeps your throat muscles tense and doesn't allow them to rest at night and therefore not collapse and create an apnea event, you are not in any way cured.

You may think you are. You definitely hope you are. You are grasping at any straw you can to keep from using a CPAP machine at night so you are seeing symptoms and relief where there aren't any. Your wife said you researched it through WebMD. That's nice. But not very valid. It used to be but they've become so commercial oriented, if they said the sun rose in the east, I'd wonder who paid them to say it. See if the National Institute of Health (NIH) has anything on it. Or PubMed has any articles. Heck, check the references on a Wikipedia article as they would be more valid.

Like Sleepster said, if you truly believe you been cured, then get a sleep study done. If you had one that diagnosed you, then they can compare the two. Without that sleep study, your claim is providing false hope to people who don't need it.
Good morning, this is Louis R. responding on my wife's account because I exceeded my posting limit yesterday. I have been reading all of your responses to my statements about coconut oil. First, please believe me that I am as astonished as anyone that after consuming coconut oil for about three weeks, I have been remedied from years of suffering from lack of real sleep. Lucky for me that I can lock the door at my office because countless days I would be snoozing in my chair at all times of the day, getting severe headaches from my having my head slumped over, and always rushing to get work done that I didn't do because of sleepiness. This morning I had to take the time to respond to all of you good people, because I am elated that the severe symptoms of my "sleep apnea" have disappeared. I don't need a sleep study to validate that fact that I am not falling asleep at work anymore. I don't need a sleep study to reconfirm that fact that I have energy throughout the day. Yes, some scientific study needs to be conducted on why I now can sleep after taking coconut oil, but please don't for one second doubt what I am telling you is true. You can ask my wife, you can ask my son who lives with me, you can ask a close friend at work who has seen me daily for the last 20 years and has seen the sleep issues get progressively worse. I got on this forum with one purpose, and that is to let you sleep apnea sufferers know what happened to me after taking extra virgin coconut oil. I have nothing to sell nor do I have stock in companies that produce it. I'm just a regular guy that has a story that may be beneficial to you. I don't know if I was suffering from OSA or CSA, though CSA seems to be more likely.
By the way for people that say that there's nothing on this forum regarding coconut oil and sleep apnea... Advisory Member worn_out_in_lebanon sent me a link where in January 2013 someone posted some information on coconut oil and it's affects on sleep apnea.
Regards... LOUIS R.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just because you feel better and symptoms are gone or lessened doesnt mean you are cured any more than not having daytime sleepiness and other symptoms means you dont have it.

I think you are missing here is that people ar not saying that there could be and are benefits of coconut oil but are saying that unless you document that you no longer have sleep apnea by having another sleep study to document that we can't accept that you no longer have sleep apnea and I hope you get it checked since you are no longer using your machine because it would be sad if you wake up dead and your spouse finds you
Post Reply Post Reply
It is still grasping at anything you can get to avoid the machine. It happens quite often. People will try all sorts of things including surgery, implants, even just ignoring it until they die in their sleep or of one of the many sleep apnea related diseases/conditions.

I wish you luck in your future.

Oh, and it isn't central apnea. You said you were using a bilevel machine and that's not what is used to treat central apnea.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Paula,

In reading one of Resmed's articles by their science folks, they tend to call their ASV machines bilevels with no further clarification. Their ASV or timed machines are bilevels also so I guess it is technically correct to call them that but it does tend to make things somewhat confusing especially to those people not familiar with the distinction.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Louis and Myra,

There is no doubt on my part that you believe this to be true. I'm afraid you are experiencing the placebo effect ... do yourself a favor if you believe that strongly and take another sleep test. We don't need to see the results but you two shouldn't rest easy until you prove it to yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-17-2015, 12:27 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Like Sleepster said, if you truly believe you been cured, then get a sleep study done. If you had one that diagnosed you, then they can compare the two. Without that sleep study, your claim is providing false hope to people who don't need it.

It wasn't just a desire to have the OP's belief verified that prompted me to suggest the sleep study. Rather, it was his expression of the need to do so ...

(04-16-2015, 12:00 PM)Louis R. Wrote: Yes, that's the question that needs to be answered scientifically, what exactly is happening that is the reason why I don't feel the symptoms anymore.

Note the specification that the need be answered scientifically. That's the reason I suggest the second sleep study.

If he wants to believe he's cured, without scientific verification, because he feels better he has no way of knowing if his belief is right. He and everyone else who's in the same situation are taking a huge risk because the consequences of untreated sleep apnea are an elevated risk of heart disease and stroke, leading to a decreased quality of life and an early death.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 108 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Remedy for red marks from mask? kderevan 15 2,171 12-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dream wear mask vs remedy p10 mask Novello1234 4 2,018 06-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Coconut Oil for Nasal Dryness? rx77310 10 7,606 08-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: me50
  Update from the coconut oil guy Louis R. 13 5,696 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  Remedy for mouth dropping open? Jim Bronson 16 6,938 01-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Last Post: Timotheus
  Coconut oil in mask wipes Itsadryheat 14 7,971 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Last Post: JWR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.