Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Coconut Oil Remedy
RE: Coconut Oil Remedy
IZ is OK but I don't think he's in the same league as Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXDJneVbEC8

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 06:19 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: IZ is OK but I don't think he's in the same league as Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXDJneVbEC8

Wow. Great visuals on the video. Sends me back to spring of 1976 when I spent a week with the Oombulgurri tribe. Still have tapes I made of the old ones singing traditional songs, and the young ones doing country-western with guitars.
So much we can still learn from the people of the islands and the people of the Dreamtime.
Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 01:38 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: ...

(04-18-2015, 05:10 PM)archangle Wrote: There's a big fallacy here:

1) Science was wrong about ulcers.
2) Therefore this magic alternative miracle cure that has no scientific research to support it is as good as the current scientific methods.

Well, if Mark's post had concluded from item 1) anything remotely like item 2) then I suppose that would have been a big fallacy.

However, in Mark's defense, I think his post neither concluded nor implied anything of the sort.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 01:38 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I guess this is a verbose way of saying if there are no studies showing that coconut does not lessen sleep apnea that in itself is not proof it does not help this individual.

Sure, but also does not prove it did help. There is a fallacy that many human beings are susceptible to, and that is the belief that because some event happened and then right after some other event happened the first event must have caused the second event. But it has been understood that in fact this is not so since the ancient Greeks.

This logical fallacy has a high falutin' Latin name :"Post hoc, ergo propter hoc" which means "After that, therefore because of that".
This is a perfectly normal thing for humans to do, and the do it all the time. Many people make lots of money from our propensity to commit this fallacy in our reasoning.

Science never proves anything absolutely. It accepts certain things if there is sufficient evidence for them, and it has strict standards about what that evidence needs to be.

As I said, science never claims to prove anything absolutely beyond any possible doubt, but it can prove some things beyond reasonable doubt. To the extent, indeed, that you may reliably and comfortably bet your life on them - as you do every day when you drive your car or fly in a plane or any number of other things.

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 05:44 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I started to do a line by line analysis of Your failures of logic but instead I'll just make sure I unsubscribe this thread.

You mean like you did here?

(04-18-2015, 01:38 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I guess this is a verbose way of saying if there are no studies showing that coconut does not lessen sleep apnea that in itself is not proof it does not help this individual.

Of course it doesn't prove it. But it is an example of junk science to apply that logic to it.

Science doesn't prove stuff. Pointing out that there's a lack of proof doesn't doesn't help us to establish the scientific validity of something. That takes evidence.

On the other hand, a lack of evidence to support this or any other notion is not a basis for rejecting it. We don't reject it. We simply fail to accept it because there's not enough evidence supporting it.

Some people say we should believe anything unless we can prove it wrong. Other people say we shouldn't believe things until we have evidence to support them. The former is what you're doing, the latter is what we're doing.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 02:08 PM)Louis R. Wrote: I don't have much time right now to respond as I would like, but let me say this: yes I've had sleep studies, 3 or 4. I would have to see my doctor to know for sure. What I remember, is that the first ones (11 years ago) didn't show a definitive sleep apnea case. The last one did show the events that prompted the doctor to prescribe the machine that didn't work for me... Respironics BiPAP Auto Model M with humidifier. Another thing is that I have thicker skin than may be apparent. I realize that I'm in a forum where everybody is using machines, and most are benefiting from it in one way or another. My cousin has been on CPAP for many years and she won't leave home without it. One last thing... I'm not one to fall for anything. you may say that "I'm from Missouri" LOL. I don't believe that I'm suggesting to myself that this works. That's why I'm going to go about it the scientific way... I'm going to consult with my doctor. However, in my lifetime I've sometimes seen that doctors get it wrong... and they are not flawless. We'll see. I still repeat that you are all good people. LOUIS

Hi Louis,

Thanks so much for sharing on this forum the recent great results you have experienced, seemingly at least in part from taking a little Coconut Oil three times daily.

If you do not have copies of the full reports (including the data) from your past sleep studies and titrations, I suggest requesting that copies be sent you for each one. You have a right to these, for your own medical records.

It would be pertinent to know to what degree Central Sleep Apnea was apparent in your titrations and sleep studies.

As I think Archangle has pointed out, the body is highly complex and perhaps only a small percentage of sleep apnea patients would be significantly benefited from adding Coconut Oil to their diet.

It may never be known what all has recently combined to tip the scales to your benefit, but I think the simplest explanation is that Coconut Oil is at least a likely contributor.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 05:44 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: ...

(04-18-2015, 08:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Some people say we should believe anything unless we can prove it wrong. Other people say we shouldn't believe things until we have evidence to support them. The former is what you're doing, the latter is what we're doing.

Hi Sleepster,

I really think we need to be more careful to not read into what people write positions which they did not take, positions with which they would not agree.

Specifically, I think he neither said nor implied that "we should believe anything unless we can prove it wrong."

In addition, I think he would likely agree with the view "we shouldn't believe things until we have evidence to support them." As I am sure you would agree, a corollary would be that we shouldn't believe something is wrong until we have evidence to support that.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I'll tell you what I believe.

I believe I'm gonna go have a Shiner Bock.

OMMOHY

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 08:33 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(04-18-2015, 05:44 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: ...

(04-18-2015, 08:03 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Some people say we should believe anything unless we can prove it wrong. Other people say we shouldn't believe things until we have evidence to support them. The former is what you're doing, the latter is what we're doing.

Hi Sleepster,

I really think we need to be more careful to not read into what people write positions which they did not take, positions with which they would not agree.

Specifically, I think he neither said nor implied that "we should believe anything unless we can prove it wrong."

In addition, I think he would likely agree with the view "we shouldn't believe things until we have evidence to support them." As I am sure you would agree, a corollary would be that we shouldn't believe something is wrong until we have evidence to support that.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
This thread has turned out to be very entertaining, there's a little philosophy (western and eastern), science, comedy and even music trivia. Really cool. Vaughn, Mark Douglas, Sleepster, etc. thank you for your time and effort. With that said, and if we can keep this simple, I just want to find out who out there has found that coconut oil has helped them. I would hate to think that I'm the only one. Is my DNA that much different from others. However, if you don't try it we will never know. Come on, let's give it a shot, it can't be harmful. After combing through countless internet sites, I have yet to read anything negative with the oil, except for a little constipation with some, but offset by a little diarrhea experienced by others. Even my poor wife is taking a tablespoon at bedtime, after seeing what it does for me... she thought about it for weeks before doing it. You see, she was fearful because she has stage 5 kidney failure, caused by Lupus Nephritis. I guess she has come to the point that it may help... if not well we know what's next, dialysis or maybe a transplant. One of my priorities is to be there for her... awake too!
Good night folks we're going to bed.
Regards...LOU
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-19-2015, 12:27 AM)Louis R. Wrote: I would hate to think that I'm the only one. Is my DNA that much different from others. Good night folks we're going to bed. Regards...LOU
Smile Just a single difference in one part of the DNA structure results in blue-eyes, hair colour, sickle-cell, addison's disease, amongst other differences. In fact Human DNA varies only by apprx1% from many primates.
Where I am going with this is that you may have some variation wherein the V/CO may provide something you need for proper health. Thinking-about

I do support the other posters that have recommended that you obtain a copy of your records and compare the before and afters.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 139 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Remedy for red marks from mask? kderevan 15 2,203 12-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dream wear mask vs remedy p10 mask Novello1234 4 2,031 06-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Coconut Oil for Nasal Dryness? rx77310 10 7,683 08-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: me50
  Update from the coconut oil guy Louis R. 13 5,747 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  Remedy for mouth dropping open? Jim Bronson 16 7,007 01-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Last Post: Timotheus
  Coconut oil in mask wipes Itsadryheat 14 8,020 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Last Post: JWR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.