Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Coconut Oil Remedy
RE: Coconut Oil Remedy
(04-19-2015, 12:45 AM)SleepingDragon Wrote:
(04-19-2015, 12:27 AM)Louis R. Wrote: I would hate to think that I'm the only one. Is my DNA that much different from others. Good night folks we're going to bed. Regards...LOU
Smile Just a single difference in one part of the DNA structure results in blue-eyes, hair colour, sickle-cell, addison's disease, amongst other differences. In fact Human DNA varies only by apprx1% from many primates.
Where I am going with this is that you may have some variation wherein the V/CO may provide something you need for proper health. Thinking-about

I do support the other posters that have recommended that you obtain a copy of your records and compare the before and afters.

Sleep-well
Good point Dragon, that somewhere inside of a million years a chimp started walking upright, began feeding on meat and thereby increased the size of their brains, and slowly evolved into who we are today (forgive me for leaving out piles of theory's and archeological evidence), and therefore our DNA has similar characteristics to chimps, Neanderthals etc. We came to be as a result of billions of organic X's and O's, in the design of our creator's choice... oh but even he has a margin of error and variations. Sorry, I'm opening a can of worms again here on this forum.
Back to your statements Dragon... yes, I agree that the old "I'm fro Missouri" approach is better accepted by the wise, and doctor's studies and result's are in order. And like I said before, I may be one in a million... But I hope not.
Have a great day. LOUIS
Post Reply Post Reply
An update with regards to my case. I have an appointment with a highly regarded sleep study doctor... Dr. Alejandro Chediak. He is a past president of the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, and he was highly recommended by the Executive Director of the ASAA.
I will retrieve my previous sleep studies from the doctor I was seeing, and take them with me to the appointment. Hopefully I will get all the studies needed and get the results and the medical diagnosis from a qualified MD.
I will come back and post the findings to keep all you fellow sleep apnea patients informed.
LOUIS
Post Reply Post Reply
Vaughn gets it.

Perhaps it just a matter of time on the water. Not only do I (now) know I do not have all the answers heck I don't even know the questions. In my youth not only did I know all the answers I was more than happy to tell them asked or not. Grin
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-18-2015, 06:19 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: IZ is OK but I don't think he's in the same league as Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXDJneVbEC8

Thanks for that link!
I put Gurrumul into my stress reduction playlist. Wonderful music.
Doesn't need to be a competition. Both are of aboriginal peoples.
IZ made wonderful music while he was alive. Would have made a great duet.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2015, 02:45 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Not only do I (now) know I do not have all the answers heck I don't even know the questions. In my youth not only did I know all the answers I was more than happy to tell them asked or not.

I agree. I learned that lesson as soon as I tried to really understand physics. Humans know far less, and can predict far less, than the vast majority of us realize. I have learned to weigh information very carefully before accepting it as something I believe. That same care is also applied to rejection. I won't easily reject anything, either. Even then, I try to critically examine things I believe, things I've rejected, and everything in between.

These are the markings of scientific literacy. Unfortunately, some people don't realize this and have gathered a mistaken belief that science is about pretending to know everything. I think it comes from the fact that science has taught us a few things, and done such a good job of it, that we tend to think science can do that for lots of other things. It in fact cannot do it for the vast majority of things, and it's a mark of scientific illiteracy to think that that's what science does.

Right now I wouldn't place coconut oil as an effective treatment of obstructive sleep apnea as something I've rejected. Things currently in that category, for example, would be a flat Earth or a notion that venereal disease can be prevented by urination.

Things I currently believe are that the moon is round and that CPAP therapy is an effective treatment for sleep apnea. I don't put coconut oil in this category, either.

It's somewhere in between, but it's a lot closer to the flat Earth category than the round moon category.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-22-2015, 02:07 PM)Louis R. Wrote: I will retrieve my previous sleep studies from the doctor I was seeing, and take them with me to the appointment.

[...]

I will come back and post the findings to keep all you fellow sleep apnea patients informed.
LOUIS

Can you touch base with us in between those two events? The reason I ask is that, if I recall correctly, you've had several sleep studies and were prescribed a CPAP machine only as the result of the last one. And that you yourself suspect that you have central sleep apnea and not obstructive sleep apnea.

If you don't have obstructive sleep apnea and the coconut oil has made you feel better, what does that mean?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 09:20 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-22-2015, 02:45 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: Not only do I (now) know I do not have all the answers heck I don't even know the questions. In my youth not only did I know all the answers I was more than happy to tell them asked or not.

I agree. I learned that lesson as soon as I tried to really understand physics. Humans know far less, and can predict far less, than the vast majority of us realize. I have learned to weigh information very carefully before accepting it as something I believe. That same care is also applied to rejection. I won't easily reject anything, either. Even then, I try to critically examine things I believe, things I've rejected, and everything in between.

These are the markings of scientific literacy. Unfortunately, some people don't realize this and have gathered a mistaken belief that science is about pretending to know everything. I think it comes from the fact that science has taught us a few things, and done such a good job of it, that we tend to think science can do that for lots of other things. It in fact cannot do it for the vast majority of things, and it's a mark of scientific illiteracy to think that that's what science does.

Right now I wouldn't place coconut oil as an effective treatment of obstructive sleep apnea as something I've rejected. Things currently in that category, for example, would be a flat Earth or a notion that venereal disease can be prevented by urination.

Things I currently believe are that the moon is round and that CPAP therapy is an effective treatment for sleep apnea. I don't put coconut oil in this category, either.

It's somewhere in between, but it's a lot closer to the flat Earth category than the round moon category.

Well said!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 09:23 AM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-22-2015, 02:07 PM)Louis R. Wrote: I will retrieve my previous sleep studies from the doctor I was seeing, and take them with me to the appointment.

[...]

LOUIS

Can you touch base with us in between those two events? The reason I ask is that, if I recall correctly, you've had several sleep studies and were prescribed a CPAP machine only as the result of the last one. And that you yourself suspect that you have central sleep apnea and not obstructive sleep apnea.

If you don't have obstructive sleep apnea and the coconut oil has made you feel better, what does that mean?

sleepster... the VCO and what it's doing to me is a mystery... I don't know what it means. I am going to go about this the right way and get testing and seek medical attention. I want my questions (and everybody else's) answered in the worst way. Along the way I will post any updates. LOUIS

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 10:04 AM)Louis R. Wrote: sleepster... the VCO and what it's doing to me is a mystery...

It's a mystery to me, too. One I'd like to solve. So all I'm asking is that when you get your sleep study reports you tell us what they say.

Quote:I don't know what it means.

If the sleep studies indicate that you don't have obstructive sleep apnea and coconut oil makes you feel better it means that we cannot conclude from your experience that coconut oil is a remedy for obstructive sleep apnea.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 10:00 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-23-2015, 10:04 AM)Louis R. Wrote: sleepster... the VCO and what it's doing to me is a mystery...

It's a mystery to me, too. One I'd like to solve. So all I'm asking is that when you get your sleep study reports you tell us what they say.

Quote:I don't know what it means.

If the sleep studies indicate that you don't have obstructive sleep apnea and coconut oil makes you feel better it means that we cannot conclude from your experience that coconut oil is a remedy for obstructive sleep apnea.

We may want to take a different approach to the oil controversy. It may be that the results that the oil is producing in me is a chemical reaction that is occurring in my brain. Since the brain requires specific chemicals to operate correctly, possibly VCO is helping to compensate or substitute a chemical that makes me feel alert and not sleepy like I felt before. And if this is what is happening, I very well may still be suffering from OSA or CSA but symptoms have diminished. So ultimately I do need a sleep study for verification to see if I am a genius or I'm losing it. Huh
Good night... Lou
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 110 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Remedy for red marks from mask? kderevan 15 2,174 12-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dream wear mask vs remedy p10 mask Novello1234 4 2,019 06-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Coconut Oil for Nasal Dryness? rx77310 10 7,613 08-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: me50
  Update from the coconut oil guy Louis R. 13 5,699 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  Remedy for mouth dropping open? Jim Bronson 16 6,946 01-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Last Post: Timotheus
  Coconut oil in mask wipes Itsadryheat 14 7,974 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Last Post: JWR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.