Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Coconut Oil Remedy
RE: Coconut Oil Remedy
(04-23-2015, 11:07 PM)Louis R. Wrote: We may want to take a different approach to the oil controversy. [...] So ultimately I do need a sleep study for verification

That's not a different approach, Louis. It's what we've been telling you all along ...

(04-16-2015, 11:10 PM)Sleepster Wrote: If that's what you want have a sleep study done and compare the results to the results of your previous sleep study, the one where they diagnosed you with sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP machine to treat your condition.

Have you submitted your request for the results of your previous sleep studies yet? They are required by law to provide them.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-23-2015, 11:07 PM)Louis R. Wrote:
(04-23-2015, 10:00 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-23-2015, 10:04 AM)Louis R. Wrote: sleepster... the VCO and what it's doing to me is a mystery...

It's a mystery to me, too. One I'd like to solve. So all I'm asking is that when you get your sleep study reports you tell us what they say.

Quote:I don't know what it means.

If the sleep studies indicate that you don't have obstructive sleep apnea and coconut oil makes you feel better it means that we cannot conclude from your experience that coconut oil is a remedy for obstructive sleep apnea.

We may want to take a different approach to the oil controversy. It may be that the results that the oil is producing in me is a chemical reaction that is occurring in my brain. Since the brain requires specific chemicals to operate correctly, possibly VCO is helping to compensate or substitute a chemical that makes me feel alert and not sleepy like I felt before. And if this is what is happening, I very well may still be suffering from OSA or CSA but symptoms have diminished. So ultimately I do need a sleep study for verification to see if I am a genius or I'm losing it. Huh
Good night... Lou
Yes sleepster, you all have been saying that a sleep is necessary and I agree (for obvious reasons). But my "different approach" statement is referring to the way we look at why I'm getting benefits from VCO. Right now only the good Lord knows why it's helping me... or maybe, just maybe their is a medical and/or scientific reason that hasn't been discussed yet. The only statement that I previously said that I wish to retract is that "I'm cured". In my exuberance with VCO I misspoke. However, I wish that this thread not be turned into a competition on who's right and who's wrong, but instead an informative one even though it may be a bit controversial. And again I'm not saying that VCO is injecting oxygen into my lungs resulting in an improvement to my symptoms, but something is taking place and that is what I (we) want to know. Please bare with me until I have some more information. With that said don't think that I'm not a sport... I welcome any opposing points of viewCoffee
Thank you LOU
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2015, 12:19 PM)Louis R. Wrote: But my "different approach" statement is referring to the way we look at why I'm getting benefits from VCO.

Have you submitted your request for the results of your previous sleep studies?
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2015, 12:46 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-24-2015, 12:19 PM)Louis R. Wrote: But my "different approach" statement is referring to the way we look at why I'm getting benefits from VCO.

Yes, I left a message on Tuesday and they have not returned my call. Because this has happened before to me, I need to go there in person and request the reports. Regardless I need them before I see the new MD, so I may go today before they close.
LOU
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2015, 01:10 PM)Louis R. Wrote:
(04-24-2015, 12:46 PM)Sleepster Wrote:

Yes, I left a message on Tuesday and they have not returned my call. Because this has happened before to me, I need to go there in person and request the reports. Regardless I need them before I see the new MD, so I may go today before they close.
LOU
Ok, I have my sleep study reports from the primary care doctor. There's one report that can't be found, it's the oldest one about ten to eleven years ago that was conducted next to a hospital. The other three were conducted at the same sleep study center. The dates were 6/5/06, 10/10/07 and 2/11/08. I believe that the test on 10/2007 was performed without the CPAP, then the one on 2/2008 was with a machine, but I remember having a bunch of issues with the machine, I even fell out of bed during the testing Oh-jeez I even remember leaving early and not completing the test hence the remark in the report: "The patient has tolerability issues and needs to be evaluated in the office to see if this can be redone or we need to pursue other options". The previous test on 10/2007 was complete... it states under IMPRESSION: Moderate obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (780.53)(327.23) with an AHI of 30.4 which represents 190 events throughout the night. Under SLEEP ARCHITECTURE: sleep latency, REM latency, sleep maint. efficiency and sleep staging were all normal. Under RESPIRATION: they say that 30.4 AHI is moderate to severe range.
FYI... These tests were in 2007/2008, since then my symptoms have gotten much worse.
LOUIS
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2015, 07:57 PM)Louis R. Wrote: The previous test on 10/2007 was complete... it states under IMPRESSION: Moderate obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (780.53)(327.23) with an AHI of 30.4 which represents 190 events throughout the night. Under SLEEP ARCHITECTURE: sleep latency, REM latency, sleep maint. efficiency and sleep staging were all normal. Under RESPIRATION: they say that 30.4 AHI is moderate to severe range.

So, you have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Now we know.

Since that time 7-8 years have gone by and you have spent most of that time sleeping without a CPAP machine. That has damaged your cardiovascular system. It has made you feel miserable. It has had a negative effect on many aspects of your health and well-being. It has interfered with your career and your relationships with others.

During that time medical science has conducted significant research into this malady. There is conclusive evidence that CPAP therapy can reverse all of these consequences of this malady.

You have a feeling that coconut oil may help you reverse at least some of these consequences.

At this point, if I were you, I would hedge my bets by practicing both therapies. Use the CPAP machine and take the coconut oil.

By all means take all the other steps you mentioned. Get another sleep study. Go to your doctors. Spread the good word about the benefits of coconut oil. See if you can find out about others getting the same benefits from coconut oil.

Meanwhile, use your CPAP machine. It can't hurt and all the evidence indicates it helps.

The critical thinking skills I use to evaluate the effectiveness of coconut oil are the same as the ones I use to evaluate the effectiveness of CPAP therapy and everything else I encounter in the natural world. There's nothing anyone can say or do that will get me to abandon that practice. As long as the evidence supports its effectiveness I will continue using my CPAP machine. In my opinion anyone who does otherwise is a fool.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-24-2015, 07:57 PM)Louis R. Wrote: Ok, I have my sleep study reports from the primary care doctor.

The sleep center may have sent your Primary Care doctor just a one or two page summary with recommendations, rather than the Full Report With Data. The reports you get should include the Full Report With Data (multiple pages) and should include tables and/or graphs showing all the events which occurred, when, and lots of other stuff.

You have a right to a copy of the Full Report With Data, and if you have not yet received it then you will likely need to contact the testing facility directly to get copies sent to your doctor (and you).

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I find it interesting it seems a substantial percentage of those I talk to are familiar with CPAP therapy. Is there an epidemic of sleep apnea and if so why?
I use my PAP machine nightly and I feel great!
Updated: Philips Respironics System One (60 Series)
RemStar BiPAP Auto with Bi-FlexModel 760P -
Rise Time x3 Fixed Bi-Level EPAP 9.0 IPAP 11.5 (cmH2O)
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 05:05 PM)Mark Douglas Wrote: I find it interesting it seems a substantial percentage of those I talk to are familiar with CPAP therapy. Is there an epidemic of sleep apnea and if so why?

Here's what I think. There has always been a significant fraction of the population with sleep apnea, but with no effective treatment it was something our species simply had to live. Why would a doctor test for something that has no remedy? In recent decades obesity has increased, and as a result more people than ever have it.

In the past if you had sleep apnea the only remedy was tracheostomy. That is and was a drastic remedy reserved for only the most severe cases. You plug up the hole during the day and then take the plug out to sleep at night!

Nowadays doctors have a better treatment alternative so they take it. They send their patients to a sleep lab and then prescribe them a CPAP machine. Insurance pays for it. Prior to these technologies being available there was no desire to test people for something that had no remedy. So without those test results we'll never know if people used to have sleep apnea with the same or a similar frequency that we do today.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 02:28 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-24-2015, 07:57 PM)Louis R. Wrote: The previous test on 10/2007 was complete... it states under IMPRESSION: Moderate obstructive sleep apnea syndrome (780.53)(327.23) with an AHI of 30.4 which represents 190 events throughout the night. Under SLEEP ARCHITECTURE: sleep latency, REM latency, sleep maint. efficiency and sleep staging were all normal. Under RESPIRATION: they say that 30.4 AHI is moderate to severe range.

So, you have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea. Now we know.

Since that time 7-8 years have gone by and you have spent most of that time sleeping without a CPAP machine. That has damaged your cardiovascular system. It has made you feel miserable. It has had a negative effect on many aspects of your health and well-being. It has interfered with your career and your relationships with others.

During that time medical science has conducted significant research into this malady. There is conclusive evidence that CPAP therapy can reverse all of these consequences of this malady.

You have a feeling that coconut oil may help you reverse at least some of these consequences.

At this point, if I were you, I would hedge my bets by practicing both therapies. Use the CPAP machine and take the coconut oil.

By all means take all the other steps you mentioned. Get another sleep study. Go to your doctors. Spread the good word about the benefits of coconut oil. See if you can find out about others getting the same benefits from coconut oil.

Meanwhile, use your CPAP machine. It can't hurt and all the evidence indicates it helps.

The critical thinking skills I use to evaluate the effectiveness of coconut oil are the same as the ones I use to evaluate the effectiveness of CPAP therapy and everything else I encounter in the natural world. There's nothing anyone can say or do that will get me to abandon that practice. As long as the evidence supports its effectiveness I will continue using my CPAP machine. In my opinion anyone who does otherwise is a fool.
I hear you and I agree with you regarding testing and proven remedies. As I said I'm on a waiting list for a cancellation to see Dr. Chediak. There's a lot of research and testing yet to take place and looking forward to get some answers. The VCO is a moot point now without further data to support the positive effects I have experienced.
To answer Vaughn, I combed through my files at my doctors office and all I could find was a summary page for the sleep studies. I do remember seeing charts and multiple pages back then when the tests were completed, but they say they don't have them because they are old. The new testing will be what we really need to focus on so I am very anxious to get this done.
Lou
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 114 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Remedy for red marks from mask? kderevan 15 2,176 12-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dream wear mask vs remedy p10 mask Novello1234 4 2,022 06-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Coconut Oil for Nasal Dryness? rx77310 10 7,618 08-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: me50
  Update from the coconut oil guy Louis R. 13 5,708 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  Remedy for mouth dropping open? Jim Bronson 16 6,953 01-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Last Post: Timotheus
  Coconut oil in mask wipes Itsadryheat 14 7,978 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Last Post: JWR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.