Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Coconut Oil Remedy
RE: Coconut Oil Remedy
Lou, it's simple. CPAP will work if you can find a way to be comfortable with it. I don't know what that will take, but mask interfaces have come a long way, and maybe with your history, a bilevel device is in order to give you better ventilation and comfort. We really don't know why your past efforts failed, but with all respect to coconut oil, your long-term health is at risk. I hope you find a solution.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 07:36 PM)Louis R. Wrote: To answer Vaughn, I combed through my files at my doctors office and all I could find was a summary page for the sleep studies.

Typically all your doctor ever sees is the summary report from the doctor who reviews the sleep study data. I'm not sure what use it would be now after 7-8 years to look at all that data.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 07:52 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Lou, it's simple. CPAP will work if you can find a way to be comfortable with it. I don't know what that will take, but mask interfaces have come a long way, and maybe with your history, a bilevel device is in order to give you better ventilation and comfort. We really don't know why your past efforts failed, but with all respect to coconut oil, your long-term health is at risk. I hope you find a solution.

That's the problem, until the benefit outweighs the pain, it's not worth it... I didn't get positive results previously. I will be looking at hosing up as soon as test results are in and indicate the need. And yes... test results that are seven years old don't matter much today, new ones are needed.
LOU

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 08:50 PM)Louis R. Wrote: That's the problem, until the benefit outweighs the pain, it's not worth it...

The benefits don't outweigh the pain?! It's not worth it?!

As you adapt to CPAP therapy the pain lessens. Eventually you get to the break-even point where the benefits and the pain are in balance. After that the benefits gain ground, eventually outweighing the pain. And in the end the pain loses and goes away.

It's worth it because you're worth it. Your life depends on it. What's worth more than that?

Quote:I didn't get positive results previously. I will be looking at hosing up as soon as test results are in and indicate the need. And yes... test results that are seven years old don't matter much today, new ones are needed.

Those old results indicate the need. A single nap with a data-capable machine will verify whether you still have sleep apnea. Unless you've lost weight or had something like a tonsillectomy, there's every reason to believe you still have sleep apnea.

While you wait for your sleep study and its results use your CPAP machine. It can't hurt and it might help.
Sleepster

Post Reply Post Reply
This is an interesting thread.
I am also a huge fan of Coconut Oil & have been consuming it for almost 2 yrs now. Unfortunately it does not help me with my sleep issues (As far as I can tell). But the only negative thing to report about Coconut Oil is the High Price, a $70 container with regular consumption usually last 15 days.

I have not consumed it before going to bed so will try for sure , If it works then I will be owing big time to Louis , if not then there is still nothing much to lose.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2015, 01:11 PM)Realtor 1 Wrote: But the only negative thing to report about Coconut Oil is the High Price, a $70 container with regular consumption usually last 15 days.

You're buying it in the wrong place.

Has someone swindled you into buying "authentic all-natural organic kosher gluten free fair trade cruelty free" coconut oil?

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2015, 01:11 PM)Realtor 1 Wrote: This is an interesting thread.
I am also a huge fan of Coconut Oil & have been consuming it for almost 2 yrs now. Unfortunately it does not help me with my sleep issues (As far as I can tell). But the only negative thing to report about Coconut Oil is the High Price, a $70 container with regular consumption usually last 15 days.

I have not consumed it before going to bed so will try for sure , If it works then I will be owing big time to Louis , if not then there is still nothing much to lose.

Hey Realtor, why are you paying so much for VCO. My first jar cost $9.97 at Walmart, Spring Valley Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Next one was on sale at Publix Supermarket , Spectrum brand for $8.99, and I ordered another one recently on Amazon - Viva Labs brand for $12.99 (large 14oz.). I know things are expensive in Canada so shop around.
I usually take a tablespoon before dinner and one before going to sleep, sometimes I'll take one before lunch... that is it.
If you are on a CPAP machine you may not notice any effects from VCO since you are getting benefits already. I'm not on a machine so I can feel the difference from before when I wasn't taking VCO. Been taking it since March 22nd and it definitely works for me, one major reason is that before I wouldn't get a good nights sleep due to getting up numerous times to go to the bathroom. Also I would feel like I never got a good night of sleep, you know waking up in the morning and feeling like I never went to bed. Now I get up maybe once during the night and I wake up to the alarm clock not when the alarm clock goes off it seemed like I was already up.
Sadly, this is my experience with VCO and not other people's experience. There was another person on this forum who experienced good results but but he wrote me and said that not as profound as my results.
Regardless I had an appointment this week with a sleep doctor and I'm waiting for another sleep study the see how I'm doing with all the aspects of sleep apnea.
Louis R.
Post Reply Post Reply
Louis R,
Just to let you know that I find this thread interesting.
Quick question... The coconut oil I see in stores looks to be hard pressed, not a liquid. Is that the way it is sold? Does it actually taste like coconut?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2015, 07:27 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Louis R,
Just to let you know that I find this thread interesting.
Quick question... The coconut oil I see in stores looks to be hard pressed, not a liquid. Is that the way it is sold? Does it actually taste like coconut?

Not Louis R, but I'll give it a try.

Coconut oil, like all edible oils, can be solid and liquid depending primarily on temperature.

The melting point for coconut oil is 77-78 deg F. Liquid at 78, solid at 76. either or at 77. The stuff I have seen in stores as liquid coconut oil (below 77) I assume has been processed by some sort of chemical or catalytic magic and I steer far wide of it (I suspect something not unlike the use transfatty acids to make other oils solid at room temp - like margarine or shortening which would otherwise be liquid-I consider these foods poison).

Unused peanut oil I keep in the fridge and it is an opaque solid. It's a clear liquid above probably 50 deg.

Extra virgin coconut oil like I got at Sam's or Costco smells strongly of coconut and has a very very faint taste. Quite pleasant in scrambled eggs or coffee with butter. Some of the more heavily processed coconut oil like Luann from Wallyworld, has no discernible odor or taste to me.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the explanation OMMOHY!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to remedy issues during lighter sleep period, 3 AM-7 AM rosebladepat 0 113 03-15-2024, 07:45 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  Remedy for red marks from mask? kderevan 15 2,175 12-04-2019, 03:39 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Dream wear mask vs remedy p10 mask Novello1234 4 2,022 06-17-2017, 02:19 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Coconut Oil for Nasal Dryness? rx77310 10 7,617 08-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Last Post: me50
  Update from the coconut oil guy Louis R. 13 5,704 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  Remedy for mouth dropping open? Jim Bronson 16 6,951 01-13-2015, 05:44 AM
Last Post: Timotheus
  Coconut oil in mask wipes Itsadryheat 14 7,978 02-04-2014, 11:37 AM
Last Post: JWR

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.