Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Does PAP therapy eliminate AHI? What is acceptable result?
Does PAP therapy eliminate AHI? What is acceptable result?
RE: New user - CPAP vs APAP
Hello again
My journey continues....
I have completed a 2 week trial of CPAP at 12.
Followed by a 2 week trial of CPAP at 14 that lasted 1 night. Could not tolerate fixed pressure at 14.

Then a 2 week trial with APAP 5-15 -
Apnea Index: 6.6 Hyponea index: 1.5 AHI: 8.0
Obstructive: 4.0 Central: 2.5 Unknown: 0.0
Median Pressure: 9.4, Maximum pressure: 13

Next APAP trial 7-17
Apnea Index: 5.4 Hypopnea Index: 1.0 AHI: 6.4
Obstructive: 3.2 Central: 2.5 Unknown: 0.0
Median Pressure: 9.7 Maximum Pressure 13.1

I really don't know how to interpret these stats but I think I fall under the required 4 pressure variance to be eligible for the APAP through government assistance.

I am going to buy an APAP anyway but want to know if the results are acceptable. I started at 48 AHI - I don't know the breakdown of Central and Obstructive from that original Dx. Does CPAP/APAP therapy eliminate AHI altogether if set properly? Do I need a different PAP therapy? Central Apnea under 5, is that OK. It sounds like ANY central AHI is bad.

I couldn't figure out how to use sleepyhead. No card in the Loaner machine.

Last machine ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her.

Any advice?

Janesleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does PAP therapy eliminate AHI? What is acceptable result?
(03-17-2016, 06:03 PM)janesleeping Wrote: RE: New user - CPAP vs APAP
Hello again
My journey continues....
I have completed a 2 week trial of CPAP at 12.
Followed by a 2 week trial of CPAP at 14 that lasted 1 night. Could not tolerate fixed pressure at 14.

Then a 2 week trial with APAP 5-15 -
Apnea Index: 6.6 Hyponea index: 1.5 AHI: 8.0
Obstructive: 4.0 Central: 2.5 Unknown: 0.0
Median Pressure: 9.4, Maximum pressure: 13

Next APAP trial 7-17
Apnea Index: 5.4 Hypopnea Index: 1.0 AHI: 6.4
Obstructive: 3.2 Central: 2.5 Unknown: 0.0
Median Pressure: 9.7 Maximum Pressure 13.1

I really don't know how to interpret these stats but I think I fall under the required 4 pressure variance to be eligible for the APAP through government assistance.

I am going to buy an APAP anyway but want to know if the results are acceptable. I started at 48 AHI - I don't know the breakdown of Central and Obstructive from that original Dx. Does CPAP/APAP therapy eliminate AHI altogether if set properly? Do I need a different PAP therapy? Central Apnea under 5, is that OK. It sounds like ANY central AHI is bad.

I couldn't figure out how to use sleepyhead. No card in the Loaner machine.

Last machine ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her.

Any advice?

Janesleeping

Hi Janesleeping,

The goal is to get your AHI under 5.0. That said, you seem to have made great progress from the AHI of 48. A small number of Central events is acceptable. It seems that you are borrowing a data capable machine (AirSense 10). This machine takes an SD card for data collection. If it doesn't have one, go and buy one so you can use Sleepyhead software. You will get a much better idea of what is going on throughout the night. You can also post some waveform data so that we can offer suggestions. Stay in touch.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
janesleeping,
I don't know about the 4cm pressure variance to be eligible for an APAP, but looks like your close.
Treated AHI is under 5.

We have a lot of folk from Canada here on the forum, and hopefully someone can advise you on their requirements for APAP.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Excellent advice from the above posters.. my addition.
There are excellent instructions on the SleepHead software at the top of the page under Software Support Forum.
Also. just get a cheap SD card anywhere and stick it in the machine so you can follow your progress in SleepyHead.. The SD card doesn't need to be any bigger then 2GB. You won't fill that up, in 5 years.
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
The other problem with the data, and is so typical of "doctors", is the data span is just too short. But you can work with that because you are getting an APAP! Bonus!

The AHI is coming down and I suspect that with time--and with the ceasing of "trialing"--that AHI will continue to come down. Central events when first starting are fine. It is normal. As long as that count stays below 5 and does not continue to increase, all is well. I suspect your final setting will be (or should be) set at 9 and 14.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 07:18 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The other problem with the data, and is so typical of "doctors", is the data span is just too short. But you can work with that because you are getting an APAP! Bonus!

The AHI is coming down and I suspect that with time--and with the ceasing of "trialing"--that AHI will continue to come down. Central events when first starting are fine. It is normal. As long as that count stays below 5 and does not continue to increase, all is well. I suspect your final setting will be (or should be) set at 9 and 14.

Thanks Paula et al. All set at 7-14 and re-do in 2 months. This forum has been "the best" of advice, support and direction. I will sleep soundly tonight. Counting to zen!Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-18-2016, 07:56 PM)janesleeping Wrote:
(03-18-2016, 07:18 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: The other problem with the data, and is so typical of "doctors", is the data span is just too short. But you can work with that because you are getting an APAP! Bonus!

Thanks Paula et al. All set at 7-14 and re-do in 2 months. This forum has been "the best" of advice, support and direction. I will sleep soundly tonight. Counting to zen!Thanks

Stay in touch. Let us know how you are doing.

Rich
Apnea Board Member RobySue has posted a Beginners Guide to Sleepyhead Software here:  http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...SleepyHead

Download Sleepyhead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Post images

Post Reply Post Reply
If you are going to have the loaner for another two months, get a memory card for it or request one from the supplier. That way you can track the data as you go.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,068 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 165 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,264 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,357 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,032 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 961 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.