Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Does anyone know a good UARS Dr in SoCal?
Does anyone know a good UARS Dr in SoCal?
So far the ones I have spoken to have a limited understanding/experience, my old doc said I probably have it but he also didn't really know much beyond a simple definition. Willing to travel for someone that actually knows stuff.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does anyone know a good UARS Dr in SoCal?
...wondering if could tell us something on your UARS' diagnose?
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep study showed tons of arousal's (30 per hour ) but almost no apnea's, my throat as measured by a CT scan is 5mm standing up, 0 laying down if I relax my jaw. My neurologist was vaguely familiar with UARS, but uncomfortable doing anything but prescribing ambien, etc. I self acquired a bipap machine and tuned it based on reading this and other forums and its changed my life immeasurably for the better. The book "Sleep Interrupted" is basically the story of my life. Basically I have had to piece this together myself, but I would like to talk to someone that actually has a idea of what is going on, has other UARS patients, etc.
Post Reply Post Reply
UARS was discovered in Stanford if I remember correctly and it's not too far from LA.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been wondering about how to go about answering this question in general.
Post Reply Post Reply
Because its a hard question to answer or because of something else?
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2019, 03:19 PM)toratora Wrote: Because its a hard question to answer or because of something else?

Because I'd like to find a local one myself, and I have no idea how to go about it. So, the former.
Post Reply Post Reply
I finished reading that book "Sleep interrupted", not too long ago. It has a significant portion written about UARS and diagnosis, but less on solutions, BUT.... he talks about talking to regular sleep doctors, and how much resistance they have to the idea. That has been my experience. I have a friend who also has sleep issues, and she was seeing the head of sleep at USC and I asked her to ask him about UARS. The response was "that is just another word for snoring" ! So I figured instead of me calling every doctor on the west coast, asking here might yield better results.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would second alexp's point to try Stanford.
Post Reply Post Reply
Stanford's pretty far from SoCal. Roughly 350mi or 550km away.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 1 77 4 hours ago
Last Post: SingleH
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 968 Today, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 172 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 626 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234
  [Pressure] Bipap settings help? UARS and not sure what I'm doing Christina5818 6 198 03-23-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: Christina5818
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.