Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Dry mouth. Heart beat.
Dry mouth. Heart beat.
Hi there!
I've got two queries.
Q1: I'm using a nasal mask and when I wake up during the night my mouth
is completely dry, cheeks stuck to my teeth and mouth shut tight. Is this unhealthy for my gums and teeth? I know I don't breathe through my mouth
so how can I fix this problem?
Q2: Again, when I wake up through the night (weak bladder!) I always feel
my heart racing like hell in my chest. Now, isn't wearing a mask supposed
to stop this from happening?
Kind regards,
D.L.[/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Dry mouth. Heart beat.
Welcome to the group.
You are describing 2 separate problems.
First dry mouth. I am not familiar with your humidifier but it suggests you are using an S8 machine. If you could confirm the model of the machine you are using it will allow more accurate responses.
My understanding is dry mouth is caused by opening your mouth and allowing air to flow. If your machine is data capable it may shed some light on leaks as well as AHI etc.

The racing heart sounds like it may be AFIB which is a separate problem which may be related to apnea.
There seems to be ongoing debate about which one causes the other. You should see a cardiologist to diagnose any heart problem you may have and recommend appropriate treatment. Untreated AFIB can be fatal, as can other heart malady's.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. I'm using an S8 Lightweight 2. I don't think I'm breathing through my mouth, but then again I'm not absolutely certain. One thing
I'm sure of is that when I wake up my mouth is shut tight, I also haven't noticed any leakage round the nose. As for racing heart beats, it
only happens when I wear my mask. If for some reason I don't wear my mask I don't have this problem. Anyway, thanks a lot.
D.L.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dan3,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try turning your humidity up a notch and seeif that will help but hang in there for more suggestions and best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I only have my own issues to use for knowledge. At times I 'hiss' at night, and those are the times that my mouth is very dry, cheeks stuck to teeth, tongue stuck to the roof of my mouth - that or drooling very badly - no idea why one vs the other - but my wife does confirm my 'hissing'. For me, a switch from CPAP to a BI-PAP helped with this issue greatly - but, I've read that newer CPAP machines have a way to lower your pressure on exhale? If so, perhaps that might help??

I do not know if you use a high pressure, or are brand new to CPAP, or recently had a pressure change? If fairly new to CPAP, perhaps something as simple as time my help (your body getting used to the whole thing).

As for the heart issue, I have no thoughts at all - other than making your heart DR or PCP aware of what is going on here.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dan
I agree with bwexler, see your doctor ... heart issues should be taken seriously, might "be nothing" but you want it checked out

As for dry mouth/leak, S8 lightweight does not offer any efficacy data (AHI, Leak) to helps you figure whats going on, just compliance data only (hours of use). If wanted upgrade to data capable machine and avoid local rip-off merchants, check our supplier list, Supplier #2 and Supplier #10 ship international . Suppliers List http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List

Archangle Machines choices http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Post Reply Post Reply
Dry mouth is a sign of mouth breathing, If air escape thru the mouth, reduces the effectiveness of the therapy
Its important to keep mouth closed while using a nasal mask
Chinstrap helps keeps mouth closed and minimize mouth leaks

FYI ... Activa LT cushion fit SoftGel mask frame, I find it lighter and easier to maintain a seal but of course everyone is different

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-05-2013, 08:01 PM)dan3 Wrote: Hi there!
I've got two queries.
Q1: I'm using a nasal mask and when I wake up during the night my mouth
is completely dry, cheeks stuck to my teeth and mouth shut tight. Is this unhealthy for my gums and teeth? I know I don't breathe through my mouth
so how can I fix this problem?
Q2: Again, when I wake up through the night (weak bladder!) I always feel
my heart racing like hell in my chest. Now, isn't wearing a mask supposed
to stop this from happening?
Kind regards,
D.L.[/font]

have you considered trying a full face mask? I chose a full face mask b/c I have allergies and sinus issues and if my nose is stopped up, I would have to breath through my mouth.

Another suggestion is to use Biotene toothpaste and mouth wash (they also have other products to help with dry mouth). They are expensive (for me, toothpaste is almost $6 and a big bottle of the mouth wash is around $11).

But, it is important to find out the source of your dry mouth and the first place I would look is whether you open your mouth at night. Maybe you can have your spouse watch you for a little while while you are sleeping and see if you open your mouth.

Hope you find answers and a solution soon.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 377 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Mouth Tape Tradegy PappaJoe 5 317 03-23-2024, 01:49 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 108 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Equipment] O2 ring/weird heart rate/no other symptoms jdavis 6 192 03-09-2024, 04:58 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,080 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.