Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Fine Tuning - What's the cause of these hypopnea events?
Fine Tuning - What's the cause of these hypopnea events?
Here's a snapshot from SH from a typical night (last night, to be exact):

This shows a period of about 30 minutes during which my machine up'd the pressure several times in response to minor flow limitations, eventually maxing out at 20 and waking me up. I have several episodes similar to this every night - last night, there were 4 - two that woke me up and two that did not.

I'm trying to assess what might be causing these periods, whether they're anything to be concerned about, and what, if anything, I might want to do about them.

Working theory: these are periods when I roll over onto my back.

If you look at about 2:16 AM, there's a CA and a mini-hypopnea - this pattern looks very much like what's seen at 2:43 AM (just after re-starting). At 2:43 I know I was awake - was I awake (albeit briefly) at 2:16 as well?

Between 2:16 and 2:27, it looks like I'm sleeping peacefully, then a series of pressure bumps starts, with each bump followed by a period of adjustment in my breathing, culminating in a series of OA/H that drive the pressure up to max until I awake at 2:41.

So, what do you think? I'm planning on trying out some of the pillow-devices that prevent rolling over onto my back. I'd also like to get a logging oximeter to see what sort of desaturation I'm seeing associated with these periods (if any). Any other ideas for pinning down what's really going on during these periods?

-cd

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Fine Tuning - What's the cause of these hypopnea events?
Looking at both flow limitation and flow rate, you are experiencing diminished flow at those times.
And, your pressure is really ramping up as you noted.

I think your working theory is sound; and keeping off your back is worth trying.

I usually side sleep for that reason. I'm able to stay on my side for the night.

There have been several methods talked about on the board for preventing rolling on the back.
One method was sewing tennis balls in the back of a tee-shirt.
Whatever it takes...

Regards,

Mongo
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with justMongo. I doubt that you O2 sat will be doing much as it looks like you have some serious recovery breathing after each event. O2 in your system just does not drop al that fast
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-07-2015, 10:52 PM)PoolQ Wrote: I agree with justMongo. I doubt that you O2 sat will be doing much as it looks like you have some serious recovery breathing after each event. O2 in your system just does not drop al that fast

That's what I figure too - but I'm a data nerd, so I'll get the Oximeter and find out for sure. I'll be very surprised if there's much (if any) noticeable desat during those short events.

Thanks for the note Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Still tired and CA events liebano 1 30 9 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [Treatment] Need some tuning I think timthebaker 6 180 9 hours ago
Last Post: timthebaker
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 360 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,404 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 7 271 03-20-2024, 06:22 PM
Last Post: michaelyu15
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 576 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 119 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.