Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] First night [and other nights]
First night
First night is over....

Fitted yesterday...ResMed AirSense10 and a full mask. I'm a side sleeping mouth breather...but the mask doesn't really let me do that....figures.

According to the machine I lasted 2 hours. Woke up feeling smothered...couldnt exhale with all the damn pressure even though the box is set to release pressure on exhale. Took it off and tossed it on the night stand.

Chest muscles feel tired....like when I've been coughing all day or fighting pneumonia.

Not a fan of the warm humidity...like living in the midwest in the summer...I'll be turning that down.

2.6 events per hour...guess thats good.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First night
Congrats on lasting the first night, always the hardest. Let's figure out a few details:
Airsense 10 Autoset, Elite or CPAP?
EPR at what setting?
Using 13 cm pressure fixed? Why not auto pressure?
What kind of events?

If you can, download the free #Sleepyhead software, and it will become a lot easier to help.
If you cannot use Sleepyhead due to no computer or Mac, then at least be sure machine is set to provide a more complete sleep report by changing the Essentials setting from ON to PLUS. You can access that setting in the clinical settings. You should have a clinical setup manual, available free at the link at the top of the page.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are off to a good start.

One question first. specifically which machine do you have.  In the lower right corner of the machine it says AirSense 10 then below it say more.  That more is important.  You want a machine with full data capability.  That makes it much easier to work with.

The ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is the best (or the "For Her" version) This has both an Auto Mode (very good) and a Fixed CPAP mode. (Best Choice)
The ResMed AirSense 10 Elite CPAP is OK, has full data and is Fixed CPAP only
The ResMed AirSense 10 CPAP is Fixed CPAP, dose NOT have full data, and does NOT have advanced event detection as the above machines do.  We do not recommend this machine. 

That said you should download SleepyHead and post your daily charts to understand how you and your machine are working together.

The links in my signature are mostly to help the new user understand and get started.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
Let's see...

Unit says AirSense10 CPAP. 

I am using the SmartStart with the Pressure relief turned on. The Ramp Time is set to Auto.

The machine reports back to the provider automagically. There is and SD card slot as well. I got a myAir account but outside of time and AHI I looks like fluff.

I'll get an SD card and Sleepyhead...

I gotta get some coffee!!
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's an airsense 10 CPAP it's not going to tell you a lot unfortunately you machine is not much more than a brick. You need to go back to your provider and complain you want an autoset...
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2018, 10:00 AM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: Let's see...

Unit says AirSense10 CPAP. 

I am using the SmartStart with the Pressure relief turned on. The Ramp Time is set to Auto.

The machine reports back to the provider automagically. There is and SD card slot as well. I got a myAir account but outside of time and AHI I looks like fluff.

I'll get an SD card and Sleepyhead...

I gotta get some coffee!!

Sleepyhead won't do you any good with that machine, sorry.

If you can upgrade the machine, do so.  Return it and tell them you want an Autoset or nothing.  Get your doctor to change your prescription to Auto CPAP.  Whatever it takes will be worth it, because you will have this machine for a long time.  A new Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset on Amazon is about $550.  Compare that against your deductibles for this brick, and it might be worth risking going out of pocket rather than accepting sub-par treatment with no useful feedback.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I guess that figures...my cheapass company always tries to screw over the employees.

I'll talk to the Doctor tomorrow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I wouldn't let these beginning hurdles discourage you from continuing to treat your sleep apnea. It's a process that is worth the troubles. Getting started is tough but it gets much much better. Even if your only option eventually is the machine you have, the treatment is necessary and fruitful. Don't give up.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2018, 11:01 AM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: Well, I guess that figures...my cheapass company always tries to screw over the employees.

I'll talk to the Doctor tomorrow.

Just so you know, the medical equipment supplier gets paid the same whether they supply the top of the line Autoset or bottom of the line CPAP.  Both are CPAPs and technically it meets the requirements of your prescription and both have the same billing code for insurance.  With your doctor, focus on your discomfort an inability to tolerate the therapy.  An auto CPAP will let you use lower pressures, but will raise pressure as needed.  Also tell him you want a machine that provides feedback you need to get the most out of this. The CPAP cannot do that, but the Autoset has great data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-03-2018, 09:29 AM)DoubtFire61 Wrote: Chest muscles feel tired....like when I've been coughing all day or fighting pneumonia.

This is normal and passed for me in a few nights of all night use.  Your muscles have to work a little harder to exhale against the pressure and they get tired, the same as if you were lifting weights.  Once they strengthen you won't feel this anymore.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First 2 nights Narcil 11 310 45 minutes ago
Last Post: Narcil
  A Tale of Two Nights Everlong 0 100 04-08-2024, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Everlong
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 360 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 343 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  21 nights in, seeking advice smmille1 3 277 03-10-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: smmille1
  First two nights with results meettherobinsons 5 496 01-18-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: meettherobinsons
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 714 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.